Do Interstate batteries have a problem?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've been through 3 in two years. My mechanic says they're supposed to be pretty good especially in cold weather, but I'm thinking maybe not. (2009 Nissan Murano)

Whats your preferred brand?

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Interstate, lol.

I had one in my MR2 survive 6+ years, numerous times being drained completely flat, NH winters and AZ summers. I replaced it preemptively but it was still perfectly fine.

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
Old Kirkland costco and interstate for me but Costco is also interstate. They are not special that last very long but they last avg 4 years and longest 5 years

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Sometimes it is the vehicle.

Charging system might have something wrong with it.

Or...

Your vehicle eats batteries. My wife's malibu eats one every 3 years like clockwork. Doesn't matter the brand or how much the battery costs... 3 years and it's done. Had the car coming up on 14 years now so you do the math. On the Malibu forums I verified lots of other people having the same issue. So now I throw in an average every day battery and get my 3 years out of it and accept that GM designed a shitty car.

I have an interstate deep cycle on my camper and it has been great.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If that's 3 in 2 years in the same vehicle, I'd check the vehicle for excessive parasitic drain, have the alternator checked and make sure the cable between it and the battery is free of corrosion.

Last couple batteries I bought were made by Johnson Controls and sold at Walmart as the Maxx line. Group 65, 850CCA, 3yr-replace 5yr-prorated warranty for about $100 after tax. Prior two were bought from Autozone and Advance Auto, also Johnson Controls and got 4 years out of one when the vehicle was sold and over 3 years on the other so far.

Then again I've never bought any battery that only lasted 2 years, let alone 3 in 2. Granted it's not arctic cold here but right now under 10F.

It is true that some vehicles aren't designed for battery life. Give them all the same electronics, even a lower 75% of cranking amps needed if the engine is smaller, but overall their total power consumption is similar to other vehicles that have a 35% larger battery.

For example, the group 65 battery I mentioned above. The automaker could have decided to shrink the available space such that a group 59 (or whatever) battery was all that would fit. There's about 35% difference between them in capacity, so the smaller battery deeper discharges and a shorter lifespan results.

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I just replaced the 9 year old original batteries in our 2 Camry's in November (Toyota branded Johnson Controls). They both still worked fine, but I was getting paranoid, it gets very cold here in Northern Michigan. I went with the Maxx from Walmart, since it is also made by Johnson Controls. Although it has 750 CCA instead of the originals 580 CCA.

The nice thing about Walmart, is there is a location almost anywhere if you need the warranty, and they are usually fresh. Mine were manufactured 18 days before I bought them. Also Consumer reports rated the Maxx #1 for group 24F batteries, which is what we needed.

Newfangle9

Sep 23, 2012
I needed a new battery for a used car I bought a year or so ago. I called the local auto parts store I've dealt with for years to see if they had an Interstate battery for the car, I was told that they no longer sold Interstates because they are now made in China, and their quality had dropped. I was surprised because I had always thought they were good. Can't say it's a fact but I have always had good experiences with that store.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yeah, don't get made in China batteries. I've heard they have lead in them. :eek:

Last edited:

Pal67

May 30, 2018
I needed a new battery for a used car I bought a year or so ago. I called the local auto parts store I've dealt with for years to see if they had an Interstate battery for the car, I was told that they no longer sold Interstates because they are now made in China, and their quality had dropped. I was surprised because I had always thought they were good. Can't say it's a fact but I have always had good experiences with that store.
Depends on the battery. Most all big battery manufacturers buy from overseas vendors, depending on their supply position. Interstate absolutely carries USA made batteries made from US recycled material. Sometimes, a store's supplier might have to substitute purchased product for a unit they normally manufacture. This could happen almost anywhere, at any time if circumstances are right but does not mean it has, or will always be that way. The battery manufacturing market is very fluid and climate-driven which, can be unpredictable and difficult to forecast. If the mark is missed on production for a certain product, the company may be forced to purchase product to substitute.

Joebklyn

Dec 27, 2018
You made me wonder, this is what I found:https://www.b4usa.com/interstate-battery/