do illegal immigrants really have it better?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
If i run over some old lady while driving drunk... my odds of not going to jail are much better if i am an illegal immigrant.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
When my wife worked for a restaurant, most of the back of the restaurant staff were illegal and unlike what some of the people here are saying, they all paid taxes and since they were using sketchy means (SS# that weren't theirs) they couldn't file tax returns to get any of it back.

Also, look at Alabama. After they passed their tough immigration laws there isn't anyone willing to pick the tomatoes so apparently the tomatoes are rotting in the fields... From what I've heard, the farmers have raised their wages to above minimum wage and still can't attract legal workers. I can't blame them, I've picked grapes for a few weeks in New Zealand (for better than minimum wage) and it's hard, boring, unrewarding work. I can't even imagine how badly picking something like potatoes, lettuce or strawberries would destroy your back...

I recall news articles from last year, where because of cheap imported foods, some farmers in the U.S. would let their harvest rot in the fields just because it the cost of labor was too great for the money on goods.

But the point here is, it was offered for people of the local community to pick the food for free to keep, and the local community did so. I bet you there are people to be found to do the work.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
People coming here to farm our fields, mow our lawns, wash our dishes, and clean our toilets are the biggest threat we face? Are you kidding me?

I deal with a lot of folks who work at Caterpiller. Most of them are Chinese and Korean. And they're really good, hard working people. I respect them a great deal.

But they're also doing jobs that we don't want to do, or apparently aren't capable of. Should we resent them as well?

I have no issue with [most] of the illegals themselves, the real problem is with our Government leaders. You cant deny that its corrupt when someone like Pelosi goes wayyyyyyy out of her way to ensure that illegals can continue to flow into this country indefinitely. People like her are snubbing our laws, yet they are supposed to honor our laws. That is bullshit. Also the fact that illegals can get free handouts is a problem to, and what about security issues ? Whats to say that a whacko from Pakistan cant fly to Mexico and then hop our borders and blow something up ? Nothing does, and we dont actively stop illegals so we have no clue who they are and what their history is - including medical history.

Im sure most of them are good guys but by being illegal they are instantly on the "Watch" list since nothing is known about them, and thats why many countries put illegals in jail. You could be just a worker or you could be a spy or trying to import drugs or worse. Who the hell knows.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
People coming here to farm our fields, mow our lawns, wash our dishes, and clean our toilets are the biggest threat we face? Are you kidding me?

I deal with a lot of folks who work at Caterpiller. Most of them are Chinese and Korean. And they're really good, hard working people. I respect them a great deal.

But they're also doing jobs that we don't want to do, or apparently aren't capable of. Should we resent them as well?

Are those folks who work at Caterpillar here legally or illegally?

Anyway, unless you have not noticed... it is more than menial labor that is being affected. I dare you to come to Tennessee and try to earn a living as a carpenter. Illegals have suppressed wages so much that unless you are a contractor who employs illegals... there is nothing for you in the construction business. And mowing lawns... again unless you are able to hire a crew of illegals you will likely not be able to compete with those who do.

The illegals aliens have created a slave wage subculture. These people are willing (and able due to their legal status) to work at a rate that is unsustainable for legal residents. And it is really not the best for our economy for these wages to be leaving the country.

yes there are jobs Americans won't do. There are also mechanisms in place for industries like agriculture to hire migrant workers legally.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Also, look at Alabama. After they passed their tough immigration laws there isn't anyone willing to pick the tomatoes so apparently the tomatoes are rotting in the fields... From what I've heard, the farmers have raised their wages to above minimum wage and still can't attract legal workers. I can't blame them, I've picked grapes for a few weeks in New Zealand (for better than minimum wage) and it's hard, boring, unrewarding work. I can't even imagine how badly picking something like potatoes, lettuce or strawberries would destroy your back...

We landed a man on the Moon and we have probes going to Pluto at this very moment. Surely we can design some equipment to rapidly harvest produce. Course that costs $$$ to buy, its probably more $$$ to design and buy that equipment than to hire someone to work for slave labor type wages.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Don't play into it - we still haven't even determined who has said such things

I'm not. Simply stating that if you are gonna hate illegals because they get something for nothing, there are plenty of legal citizens to hate. Hate illegals for the simple reason that they broke the law to be here to begin with. Get rid of the illegal part and then you can do something about the nonpayment for services (i.e. fair tax).

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
We landed a man on the Moon and we have probes going to Pluto at this very moment. Surely we can design some equipment to rapidly harvest produce. Course that costs $$$ to buy, its probably more $$$ to design and buy that equipment than to hire someone to work for slave labor type wages.

As far as I understand, crops that are easily damaged are hard to mechanically harvest. Like I said, I've done grapes and only a few of the heartier varieties can be mechanically harvested without irreparably damaging the plants and the crops itself.

I would guess that since tomatoes bruise easily and are harvested multiple times during the year, that it would be really hard to design a cost effective machine to harvest them which may be due to the large pool of dirt cheap, unskilled labour that's out there to handle these things.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
i keep hearing that illegals have it better than citizens, all this support from the govt, no need to pay for insurance or get drivers licenses, no paying taxes, etc etc.

is this really true?

I don't care. They are illegal. I rarely care if criminals are treated well or not.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
It doesn't really matter. Illegal aliens do not have the right to live and work in the US, and they need to be kicked the fuck out.

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
I recall news articles from last year, where because of cheap imported foods, some farmers in the U.S. would let their harvest rot in the fields just because it the cost of labor was too great for the money on goods.

But the point here is, it was offered for people of the local community to pick the food for free to keep, and the local community did so. I bet you there are people to be found to do the work.

Picking a few tomatoes or strawberries (or whatever crop you're talking about) for personal use is a lot different than spending an 8 hour day (which is way shorter hours than an illegal would work during the harvest) harvesting that crop. I mean I can harvest all the tomatoes that I'd need in a week (and I eat a lot of tomatoes) in a couple of minutes. Not to mention why should the farmer bother to plant if he's just giving the fruits of his labour (pun intended) away?

I don't think there's any wage that would be worth my while to pick something like strawberries, lettuce, potatoes or any other low crop for a prolonged period of time. That shit destroys your back.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Who said anything about having it better?

What illegal immigration does is drive down wages in this country by working very cheaply and increase use of public resources. Why do leftists want to waste resources and drive down wages?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

Produce is too soft and varied, probably why it is still manually picked by and large. But, ever heard of a "Nutshaker"? It is a large machine to automate the harvest of tree nuts. If you like machinery, it is very cool to see one work. The Nutshaker! :awe:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Picking a few tomatoes or strawberries (or whatever crop you're talking about) for personal use is a lot different than spending an 8 hour day (which is way shorter hours than an illegal would work during the harvest) harvesting that crop. I mean I can harvest all the tomatoes that I'd need in a week (and I eat a lot of tomatoes) in a couple of minutes. Not to mention why should the farmer bother to plant if he's just giving the fruits of his labour (pun intended) away?

I don't think there's any wage that would be worth my while to pick something like strawberries, lettuce, potatoes or any other low crop for a prolonged period of time. That shit destroys your back.

So then you must be saying you fully support what is near slave labor from illegal immigrants? Is that how you think of them?

Used to be in decades past, teenagers of citizens used to do the harvesting for farms. Then the federal government came in and said you cannot work teenagers like that.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I'm not. Simply stating that if you are gonna hate illegals because they get something for nothing, there are plenty of legal citizens to hate. Hate illegals for the simple reason that they broke the law to be here to begin with. Get rid of the illegal part and then you can do something about the nonpayment for services (i.e. fair tax).

Yes, there are plenty of citizens on the public dole.

There are a shit ton of children, born to illegals on the public dole as well. While illegals have a hard time collecting many forms of public assistance, the children they birth here automatically get Medicaid, and public assistance... The checks(if any) are paid to the guardians regardless of legal status.

Illegals in my county cost the local school system 90 million a year ( total school budget is $1.4 billion). That is not just the cost per student, but the cost to deal with educating their offspring that while born here can't speak any English.... And they get free lunches because the parents aren't legal and have no verifiable income.

So.. Point is, if the illegals and their children weren't here for the benefits of having children here, we'd have more resources to help the average American Citizen... Instead, we allow them to come here near freely, reproduce like rabbits and run the biggest scam on the U.S. taxpayers to date.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
We need to go back to the 90s where an illegal Mexican was just cheap labor and not a welfare state leech. All we need to do is cut off welfare funding and the worthless ones will naturally leave and the ones that will work for below minimum wage will stay. Win/win.

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
So then you must be saying you fully support what is near slave labor from illegal immigrants? Is that how you think of them?

Used to be in decades past, teenagers of citizens used to do the harvesting for farms. Then the federal government came in and said you cannot work teenagers like that.

Who says I support it? All I'm saying is that it's shitty, backbreaking work that very few Americans would take up even if the wages were above minimum wage. Migrant workers are about the only people desperate enough to do that kind of work. I was also saying that having people come out and pick the produce for themselves so that it doesn't go to waste wouldn't solve the problem for the farmers since they'd still be out the cost of growing the produce.

There needs to be some kind of immigration reform and rounding them all up and shipping them home isn't a viable or practical solution given the massive change it would cause in a whole bunch of industries overnight and the prohibitive cost (both in terms of legal cost and enforcement personnel man hours).

Anyway, to take your approach to arguing: So then you must be saying you support rounding up all illegals and putting them in camps and then since it would be cheaper than deporting them, putting them in gas chambers? ;)

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
snip
Anyway, to take your approach to arguing: So then you must be saying you support rounding up all illegals and putting them in camps and then since it would be cheaper than deporting them, putting them in gas chambers? ;)

Do you think it's doable? I was hoping for just one POTUS that would lock down the Southern border nice and tight, with deadly force, but hey if you want to go all out, so be it! Kudos for stepping up and giving a (Final) Solution to the problem...

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
Do you think it's doable? I was hoping for just one POTUS that would lock down the Southern border nice and tight, with deadly force, but hey if you want to go all out, so be it! Kudos for stepping up and giving a (Final) Solution to the problem...

So guys/boats with guns patrolling all along the US border ready to shoot anyone that came near? That wouldn't be prohibitively expensive or cause any other problems...

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Well, you take them from overseas, put them at home. It's not 'near' either, you obviously need to let them trespass onto US soil, then - preferably - be warned off. If they're in an area where there aren't resources to detain them (and that can detain them), or you can't turn them back and ensure you can monitor them turning back, then obviously Yes you'll have to take them out somehow.

After a few hundred or thousand are killed, the message will be sent that the border is locked down, and they'll have to come into the US via a legal means.

I know this will enrage the Bleeding Hearts/White Guilter/DamTheMan types, along with the business (from small to large) types that want to keep exploiting them, but I think a sufficiently large % of American's in between those two groups would be all for it.

You just need Politicians who have spine enough to not bow to public pressure after the media runs out there showing how bad we are defending our border from the illegal invasion. Pictures of blown up and burnt kids are going to be on TV, the media will be playing it for all it's worth. Need Politicians who are for America rather than for whining special interest public POS's.

Which is why it'll never happen.

Chuck

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I am pretty sure I have it better than illegal immigrants. So I'm gonna say they have a very hard time and are essentially walking a tightrope.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Well, you take them from overseas, put them at home. It's not 'near' either, you obviously need to let them trespass onto US soil, then - preferably - be warned off. If they're in an area where there aren't resources to detain them (and that can detain them), or you can't turn them back and ensure you can monitor them turning back, then obviously Yes you'll have to take them out somehow.

After a few hundred or thousand are killed, the message will be sent that the border is locked down, and they'll have to come into the US via a legal means.

I know this will enrage the Bleeding Hearts/White Guilter/DamTheMan types, along with the business (from small to large) types that want to keep exploiting them, but I think a sufficiently large % of American's in between those two groups would be all for it.

You just need Politicians who have spine enough to not bow to public pressure after the media runs out there showing how bad we are defending our border from the illegal invasion. Pictures of blown up and burnt kids are going to be on TV, the media will be playing it for all it's worth. Need Politicians who are for America rather than for whining special interest public POS's.

Which is why it'll never happen.

Chuck

lmao, can't tell if this is a serious post. Oh wait nevermind it's chucky, disregarding grade school logic.