Question Do I need Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 if I have a bluetooth adapter in my PC?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, trying to decide between the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller and the PS4 Dualshot 4 controller. If I have a bluetooth adapter in my PC already, do I still need to buy the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 if I use the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller to play games on a PC? Since this controller is customizable, can I still use all the features of this controller if I connect to the PC via wireless connections?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I may be wrong, but didn't the XB1 Elite release before they incorporated bluetooth into their controllers? I know mine doesn't work unless I use the adapater, while my new XB1 controllers can use bluetooth.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
I may be wrong, but didn't the XB1 Elite release before they incorporated bluetooth into their controllers? I know mine doesn't work unless I use the adapater, while my new XB1 controllers can use bluetooth.

Thanks. Which adapter are you talking about? Bluetooth or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10? I wonder that that Xbox wireless Adapter really is. Is it just a bluetooth adapter or something that was specially made for the controller.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I've got the newest xbox one controller and it works perfectly fine with the bluetooth in my laptop, but you do miss features like audio over wireless and you can't connect more than one controller at once easy.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'm using the XB1 elite controller with the MS USB adapter on my W10 machine; there were initially some driver issues but I think you may be able to use any BT adapter now. If you can't get it to work, make sure to download the app in the store. That was the only way I got mine to pair but it might be different now.

Reactions: anandtechreader

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
The elite controller requires the Xbox Wireless Adapter or a wired connection with Windows. I don't have one, but as far as I know all features work with windows. The current version of the regular Xbox controllers can use bluetooth.

I don't really get your choice though, the PS4 controller is $100 less. Really should be based on which layout you like better.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I also just use the USB cable. No charging required, and I sit right in front of the computer, so no real need for wireless. Back when I bought the controller MS said you had to use the adapter. But I think better drivers have solved that.