Do I need to use CrossfireX Application Profiles Utility for a 4870X2?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
A couple of months back, my 4870X2 died. It was still under warranty so I RMA'd it. I got a new (used) card back today and downloaded the latest Catalysts from AMDs site. On the drivers page I noticed something new; CrossFireX™ Application Profiles. I don't remember seeing this application last time I downloaded drivers.

The 4870X2 is a dual-GPU card; two GPUs on one card. I.E. it's Crossfire but it's not Crossfire. :\ The card was working fine in dual-GPU/XFire mode all by itself with just the Catalyst driver (this was about four months ago...last time I DL'd the drivers).

Do I need the CrossFireX™ Application Profiles app? Is it a "nice to have" or a "must have?"

Thanks very much.

Mike D

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I think I found my answer; I do need to use them. From this forum/thread: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=128055

This explains it; the xfire game profiles used to be integrated into the driver itself. As of this month, they no longer are. That's what the separate XFire App Profiles app is for.

to clear up some confusion... the application profiles were previously included in the driver (which they technically are still in the 10.2 package, however, separate from the 3d driver), whereas they are now something which can be updated on an "as necessary" basis, or on the days of game launches.

Once you download and install the newest application profiles, your drivers will take care of the rest. You do not need to configure (not that you can) anything like Nvidia would have you do, it is simply configured by ATI to work. The next release of application profiles should include bad company 2 crossfirex, as well as other tweaks/fixes.