Do I need permission from the PO to put up a mailbox?

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
So the mail currently gets delivered through a slot in my living room. There's a lot of cold air coming through there and I don't really like having a slot anyways. Was thinking of just putting a mail box in front. Do I need to get some sort of permission from the PO to do this?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I am hardly a USPS expert, but I would think that if that address / location already has mail delivery service, that putting a mailbox out on the street / road instead of using a mail-slot in the door, wouldn't be much if any of an issue.

If you were talking about setting up a mailbox out in the boondocks, at a location not already receiving USPS mail delivery service, then my answer might be different. I'm not sure about the procedure for something like that.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
If your neighborhood has a cluster mailbox for all residents then no they won't deliver your mail to you if you put up your own mail box. But if it's just to put up a new one, no problem. Many people don't realize that the USPS owns the mail boxes and you can't put anything in there that does not have postage on it.

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks. It's not a cluster setup. None of my neighbors have mailboxes so they must have slots or PO boxes. I imagine the mailman being appreciative of not having to walk up to my door and hear my stupid dogs going apeshit every morning. Just gotta get the wife's approval of my proposal.

Reactions: GrumpyMan

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Where are you thinking of putting it? Just mounting one at the bottom of the front stairs or outside the front door on the wall would be fine imo, one at the curb would not.

Reactions: Captante

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Where are you thinking of putting it? Just mounting one at the bottom of the front stairs or outside the front door on the wall would be fine imo, one at the curb would not.

I was just going to put it up by the sidewalk. Why would one at the curb (on my side of the s/w) not be ok?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Maybe you could leave a note for the postman asking him? Just tape a note over the mail slot so he has to see it.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
You should set it up so the mailman has to do an obstacle course to get to it, like they do for squirrels, just to see how determined they are.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I was just going to put it up by the sidewalk. Why would one at the curb (on my side of the s/w) not be ok?
Where you plan for it is just fine. I see plenty of them all over town, especially where people have fences around the front yard. I was more thinking roadside at the curb. I.E. making the postal worker step into the street to deliver.