Question Do I need dual-monitor arm or two single-monitor arms?

eli2k

Jun 14, 2007
Hi everyone, I have two 27-inch monitors that are less than 10 pounds each that I would like to have mounted on arms. I want to achieve the two layouts as shown below. The position of my desk leaves enough clearance behind for positioning the arms. I have not been able to find a definitive answer whether I need to buy two single-monitor arms or one of the dual-monitor ones that have two arms attached together. The only alternative is to buy and try, and hopefully return if it does not work out. Can anyone comment on what solution I should need?

Also as an aside, can you comment on durability/usability of monitor arms from legit companies versus the ones that cost half as much from no-name/Chinese brands?

Thanks everyone.

KhtUloZ.png

monitor-layout.PNG

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
For that flexibility two arms would be recommended. Having used cheap & expensive brand arms I generally buy middle of the road ones, the cheap ones weren't bad by any means. I use 3 arms myself (3 monitors) and used to use a Dual & single but after trying 3 solo arms I stuck with that as it gave more freeedom of movement.

eli2k

Jun 14, 2007
For that flexibility two arms would be recommended. Having used cheap & expensive brand arms I generally buy middle of the road ones, the cheap ones weren't bad by any means. I use 3 arms myself (3 monitors) and used to use a Dual & single but after trying 3 solo arms I stuck with that as it gave more freeedom of movement.

Thanks for the insight.

What brand monitor arms are you currently using? I assume Ergotron or Humanscale are on the high-end, and Jarvis or Uplift are mid-range.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I am using Raidsonic Icy Box IB-MS503-T (£75), each arm does 9KG and my heaviest display is 7KG. The low end arms I used are LogiLink, NewStar & Bracwiser (£40~), high end was Hagor & NewStar (£140-180). Could have gone for ones over £300 but they provide no benefits.

eli2k

Jun 14, 2007
I am using Raidsonic Icy Box IB-MS503-T (£75), each arm does 9KG and my heaviest display is 7KG. The low end arms I used are LogiLink, NewStar & Bracwiser (£40~), high end was Hagor & NewStar (£140-180). Could have gone for ones over £300 but they provide no benefits.

Thanks! These seem to be sold primarily in Europe, but I should be able to find other brands in US.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
cheap is OK if your using small monitors.
Cheap is NOT OK if your going to use ultra wide curved as the cheap arms can not support the tilt on the curves being extended forward and will sag down unless you strip that thread on the bolt while tightening it. (stripped because its CHEAP bolt).

Also instead of T arm, i prefer dual gas piston arms just so you can move them around.
I also prefer them to bolt onto my desk them have a desk stand, as bolt on saves room.