Do I "need" an ATI 4890 for my new system...

mitchelt

Feb 3, 2000
Hi:

I am building a new computer that will be primarily used for graphic/web design, digital photography and high def. video editing (AVCHD files). OK...I guess the occasional game may be loaded at some point.

My 19" HP LP1965 does 1280 x 1024 which is great for my old eyes.

I'm wondering if the "SAPPHIRE HD 4890 1GB Video Card" is overkill for my needs or will the extra horsepower help with Photoshop and editing video (Pinnacle Studio or Sony Movie Maker)? I am not rich, but I do have some extra money to spend right now.

Here are the full secs of the PC:

Antec P183 Case
Intel Core i7 920
EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR X58 Motherboard
SAPPHIRE HD 4890 1GB Video Card
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Power Supply
Mushkin 6GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Vista Ultimate (if 64bit works with all my software I will buy 6GB more of ram, if 32bit then I guess I will be wasting 2GB...bummer!)
2ea. Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
Sony SATA DVD-ROM
Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe
Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler
Antec 75003 120mm Case Fan

Thanks,

Mitch

RavenGuard

Jul 22, 2007
It is likely to be overkill, and considering your display resolution I assume you won't be doing much HD video editing. Depending on your scale, the I7 may even be overkill, but I assume you've looked into that and how exactly it meets your needs. Anyhow, the 4890 from a gaming perspective is hugely overkill for your monitor's resolution, look into the 4770 perhaps.

In the end, check the specs of the software you're using and see if you can find some benchmarks. That's really the only 100% answer to your video card question.

mitchelt

Feb 3, 2000
Originally posted by: RavenGuard
It is likely to be overkill, and considering your display resolution I assume you won't be doing much HD video editing. Depending on your scale, the I7 may even be overkill, but I assume you've looked into that and how exactly it meets your needs. Anyhow, the 4890 from a gaming perspective is hugely overkill for your monitor's resolution, look into the 4770 perhaps.

In the end, check the specs of the software you're using and see if you can find some benchmarks. That's really the only 100% answer to your video card question.

Thanks for the info...makes sense.

I am however confused with your statement "...considering your display resolution I assume you won't be doing much HD video editing."

I don't understand why you think the resolution of my monitor would have anything to do with me editing HD video. The timeline on which ever software I use may not show as much "time" like a 24" monitor but the end product when burned to a DVD would be the same. Could you please elaborate?

RavenGuard

Jul 22, 2007
"Full HD" is 1920x1080 and you would not even be able to view the content on the pc without scaling it, which means you are not really able to playback and preview the work before making the final cut, which means you'll have to view it on other displays and re-cut it if you notice any problems, rather than catching the problems as you work.

It doesn't mean you can't, it's just inefficient "editing" something you can't actually see.

mitchelt

Feb 3, 2000
Originally posted by: RavenGuard
"Full HD" is 1920x1080 and you would not even be able to view the content on the pc without scaling it, which means you are not really able to playback and preview the work before making the final cut, which means you'll have to view it on other displays and re-cut it if you notice any problems, rather than catching the problems as you work.

It doesn't mean you can't, it's just inefficient "editing" something you can't actually see.

I see what you mean...thanks. I am just editing family video and nothing for work or anything. I just keep my titles in the safe-zone and that is fine for what I need.

And of course I can see everything in the preview window.

Thanks!

mitchelt

Feb 3, 2000
Thanks everyone for the info...I will look into the 4850 and the 4770 which seems to be getting very good reviews and is CHEAP!

RavenGuard

Jul 22, 2007
I use a 4770 in one of my computers and it's a great mid-range gaming card with a low-end price, it also uses very little power and has a relatively quiet cooler.

They're kinda difficult to find, but it shouldn't take most places more than a week or two to track one down for you.

TheBurritoBuddy

Jul 25, 2009
i run a e7400 with 2xgb gforce ram and a 4850 iceq. I game at 1440x900 and it has run everything I've played smoothly. I recommend the 4850 also. You can find them for under 100 easily now.

sbuckler

Aug 11, 2004
I'd pay as much attention to the amount of noise it makes as anything (e.g. 4890's with the standard cooler are loud). You don't really need the performance but I bet you would like it to not whine the whole time you use it.

+1 to the buy a decent LCD - 24 inch full HD ones are cheap these days.

mitchelt

Feb 3, 2000
Thanks again for all the comments.

My 19" LCD is brand new and it is very friendly to my eyes so I do not see myself getting a new one. Oh yeah...I never watch movies on my PC so what I have is fine.

I understand that the 4890 is overkill for my situation, but I am curious if it would hurt me if I did get it...too much heat or some other bad thing?

Would any good come at all from getting the 4890...just curious.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
No good would come of it, except for AMD, who will appreciate the extra $$$.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: mitchelt
Thanks again for all the comments.

My 19" LCD is brand new and it is very friendly to my eyes so I do not see myself getting a new one. Oh yeah...I never watch movies on my PC so what I have is fine.

I understand that the 4890 is overkill for my situation, but I am curious if it would hurt me if I did get it...too much heat or some other bad thing?

Would any good come at all from getting the 4890...just curious.

It definitely would hurt you but it doesn't make sense to use it with your resolution although if you really want it go for it.

mitchelt

Feb 3, 2000
No problem...was just curious.

I am totally cool with saving the money, producing less heat in the case and spending it some other place were it would serve more good.

Thanks

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
yea im going to agree with everyone else here. get a 4770 or a 4850 and put the extra cash toward a bigger monitor (something with large pixels). i may not have old eyes like you, but my eyes arent exactly the best ever either, so i got a 27.5" Hanns-G 1920x1200 monitor when i got my new monitor, and i can say its a good boost from my 22" 1680x1050 panel. sure, the pixel density isnt that different, but the difference is big enough to let me sit 6 inches farther back when viewing the same content in a window of the same size, and it incurs less eye strain when viewing content closer up

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
The OP already bought recently his monitor, which is the same monitor that I have, is hard not to fall in love with the color reproduction (When properly calibrated), clean whites and near perfect viewing angles thanks to its P-MVA panel inside, even though sometimes some RTC artifacts can be seen, but I got fast eyes.

In the end, he already got his monitor and unless if he's willing to sell it and buy another, just get the HD 4850 and that's it, HD 4870 or higher is overkill if you are not gonna play videogames.

netxzero64

May 16, 2009
+1 for you evolucion8, a 4890 for your display (system) is too much... or you would want to get a bigger LCD...

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
If he's not going to game at all, how is the HD4850 not overkill? Or the HD4770? Surely the cards are good for something else? Well... no. The OP is not watching movies on his PC either (which is totally irrelevant anyway with gaming cards). For the tasks he mentions, those cards are like getting a Lexus to have a car for shopping...

I'd say just save a few more bucks and get a totally silent, passively cooled HD4350. If you ever feel like starting an older game, this card will be okay-ish too. Why do you guys recommend him gaming cards? I even saw someone saying he should get a GTX... seriously :confused:

mitchelt

Feb 3, 2000
evolucion8...I see you have good taste in monitors, that is why I got the HP LP1965 and am sticking with it.

To be fair, I never said I don't play games. I absolutly love playing FPS games and can play them for hours, it's just that I don't have a lot of time to play them because if I'm not working I love to spend as much time as possible with my wife and 1 1/2 year old little girl.

I would only have a few hours to play games per week.

I was wondering if the 4890 would help with Photoshop and Video Editing?

Thanks for all the advice!

Mitch

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
If you expect to be playing games, at 1280x1024 a HD4890 is total overkill. A HD4850/GTS250 will be just fine.

No idea if those cards help in Photoshop, but:
1. If they do, a HD4850 will help as much as a HD4890
2. You might have more luck with a GTS250 cause it supports CUDA - a lot of things benefit from CUDA. Just look around and perhaps ask some of the nVidia folks here, they might know if there's something for Photoshop and CUDA

EnzoLT

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2005
some ppl in here seemed like they are bashing your system and what its being used for.

i agree that you should get a 4830/4850/4770 as anything higher will be overkill.

your system is perfect for editing movies. i personally have a q9550, raid 0 5000aaks, 8gb ram, and it edits videos quickly. were both in the same boat in terms of gaming as well as movie production and your system is well suited for the task.

i actually switch off my monitors, a 19" 1280x1024 and a 22" 1920x1080 and my hd4830 surprisingly gets most games maxed (except crysis).

atm, premiere pro has an ati and nvidia plugin for cuda and stream. you can check those out if you want. i personally dont use them since i just set it to encode and leave it for a couple of hours.

anyways, happy encoding.