Do I need a passive or active Display port cable for a simple connection?

rimmi2002

Sep 17, 2007
Hi I just upgraded from integrated HD3000 graphics to an ASUS 5850 card. I use a U2311H Monitor, I wanted to get an display port for the monitor. I'd rather connect via display port than DVI.

I looked into the cable below. Then I read the reviews and there was talk about how this passive cable will not work with eyefinity. Is this the case only for eyefinity? (Using more than 1 monitor?) I plan to use only a single monitor. Will the passive cable support all resolutions for me with my single display? Please advice. Thanks for the help!

Link to Cable

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024601&p_id=5988&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I have not setup an eyefinity display, but active DP cables are used more to reduce the amount of copper in the wire (slimmer) and allow for much longer cables (25ft vs. 3-6ft) with less signal loss. It could be tolerances for signal loss are less for eyefinity setups, so they advise active cables for a better connection. Regardless, if you are using a single display within 6ft of your computer, any cable will do.