Do i need a new power supply?

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
I'm upgrading my computer significantly in the next few weeks.

moving from a phenom II x4 945 (95w) to a FX8320 (125w), and from a radeon 5770 (next to nothing) to a radeon R9 270 (a bit more).

I don't overclock, so power consumption in addition to this isn't likely.

I do have 3 harddrives and an SSD. That's the only other parts in the build.

The power supply I have is a corsair HX-520. I'm not so much worried about the wattage capacity (i imagine the 8320 + r9 270 come in significantly under), but the power supply is now over 7 years old. do power supplies lose capacity over time?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I would upgrade a 7 year old unit. It's two years past its warranty and it will definitely have lots quite a bit of its full capacity, and all the waste heat from it being only 80Plus rated should have had a pretty big toll on the unit as a whole.

I'm wondering if the FX-8320 is a good move. For gaming, the FX-6300 is cheaper and just as good. If you can really use all the eight threads though, the FX-8320 is nice.

Last edited:

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Your 270 is a 150 watt part. Sitting there surfing the internet your system is not going to be @ TDP, in fact I bet you will be under 100 watts while surfing. Playing a game will kick the video card into gear but even then you will be under 300 watts. Running a program like Furmark to stress the GPU while also running Linpack to stress the CPU might squeak you over 300 watts.

I have a similar Intel based system and the most it will draw is around 265 watts and that is only if it is running programs specifically designed to stress the system.

A quality 520 watt PS should be plenty even allowing for some degradation due to age.

It certainly won't hurt to get a new PS but as long as the old one works it would be a waste to get a new one IMHO.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
the wattage should be enough.. however, I strongly advise replacing a 7yr old power supply, especially if you've been a heavy user. My 6yr old antec power supply, which I thought was indestructible, blew up taking out motherboard, mouse and keyboard. You should weigh the hassle of replacing your new hardware against saving money.

Last edited:

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
the wattage should be enough.. however, I strongly advise replacing a 7yr old power supply, especially if you've been a heavy user. My 6yr old antec power supply, which I thought was indestructible, blew up taking out motherboard, mouse and keyboard. You should weigh the hassle of replacing your new hardware against saving money.
Lyssword I was going to give this one to you, until I got to thinking. The OP has a "proven" PS. Sure it is getting a little long in the tooth but there is no guarantee that a new one is going to be better (EDIT: because a new one could be DOA). Sure a new one might be better (EDIT: more efficient, quieter, longer lasting) but if you look at the ratings for any power supply there are almost always some one star reviews because a brand new part was bad out of the box. Now I'm not saying it is likely that a brand new power supply will be bad but it is certainly a possibility.

Last edited:

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
ok just make sure there is no weird "powering down" high, barely noticeable pitch sound when you power off the computer :p

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Sure it is getting a little long in the tooth but there is no guarantee that a new one is going to be better.

There's plenty of guarantee that a new unit tested to perform well in professional reviews will be better than a 7 years used unit, no matter how high end that unit was 7 years ago.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
There's plenty of guarantee that a new unit tested to perform well in professional reviews will be better than a 7 years used unit, no matter how high end that unit was 7 years ago.
I'm sure you would agree that a SeaSonic 650 watt power supply is generally a good unit, wouldn't you? Thing is not everyone gets a good part out of the box. Out of 16 Amazon reviews 4 people are very unhappy with their purchase.

"Died after playing a game for two hours"

"i absolutely hate it,... I had another 1 dying in 2 months, and this 1 is dead on arrival."

"High pitched noises...Saw the previous reviews about coil whine, but the price was right so I gave it a shot. Although not very loud, in my near-silent htpc case it was audible above the case fans. Returned for a corsair."

"It's NOT WORKING AT ALL"

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-650-W...owViewpoints=0

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Fayd

What is the opportunity cost of getting a power supply? What are you not going to get if you spend money on a PS?

This is the real question. It isn't simply a matter of a new PS, it is a matter of a new PS vs a better CPU or GPU or whatever thing you would buy if you had an extra $100 or so.

Last edited:

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
You can get a pretty decent 500 or 600W for less than 50 bucks (non-modular), but if your current PSU works fine, you would be better off investing that $$ into a better CPU or GPU.

If your current PSU runs fine then it should continue to run fine on the new system as well. Just because it's x years old doesn't mean it's a bad unit. Just because it's only 80+ and not 80+ bronze is not going to make it run significantly or noticeably hotter than a new 80+ bronze unit.

I am using a refurb Corsair TX 750 (v1) 80+ with my overclocked 7970, 7870, and i7 4770k, all three of which are mining 24/7. The PSU is by far the most silent and the coolest part of my system.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I'm sure you would agree that a SeaSonic 650 watt power supply is generally a good unit, wouldn't you?

No, it's an excellent unit

Thing is not everyone gets a good part out of the box. Out of 16 Amazon reviews 4 people are very unhappy with their purchase.

"Died after playing a game for two hours"

"i absolutely hate it,... I had another 1 dying in 2 months, and this 1 is dead on arrival."

"High pitched noises...Saw the previous reviews about coil whine, but the price was right so I gave it a shot. Although not very loud, in my near-silent htpc case it was audible above the case fans. Returned for a corsair."

"It's NOT WORKING AT ALL"

Well, I wasn't talking about a particular sample being DOA, nor is coil while relevant here (it has no bearing on reliability/quality).

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Well, I wasn't talking about a particular sample being DOA...
Earlier when you quoted me (somewhat out of context) I was specifically talking about a particular sample being DOA.

I certainly would not have been arguing that in general a new high quality power supply is a bad thing, only that you are taking chances either way. An old PS could give up the ghost, a new one could be DOA or die quicker than the old one.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
... nor is coil while relevant here (it has no bearing on reliability/quality).
The funny thing about the coil whine is that the reviewer with the coil whine traded his Seasonic for a Corsair, which is what the OP already has!

Personally I'm old and I can't hear coil whine so I could care less. To a young person with good ears and in an HTPC where quiet is a desired trait coil whine could be an issue.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Hmm, I didn't connect the dots between the sentence I quoted and the part where you talked about DOA. :)

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Hmm, I didn't connect the dots between the sentence I quoted and the part where you talked about DOA. :)
Sorry that was not more clear. The whole paragraph was intended to be a reference to DOA samples only, not a fully functioning new PS with a better efficiency rating.

Hmmm, maybe the new PS will pay for itself in electric savings?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Even if the new unit was Gold rated, it would only be maybe 8% more efficient. If we assume 1kW per day with the HX520 and an average cost of electricity of $0.15/kWh, an 8% more efficient unit would save only about 30kW per year, that's $4,50. In a computer this low wattage, it's not reasonable to expect the new unit to pay itself back unless you have a much higher than average cost of electricity. Even with Hawaii's cost of electricity it would take at least four years to save $60, the price of Rosewill Capstone 450W.

Last edited:

ronss

May 25, 2003
if it was me, i would fell better with a 650 watts psu....a lot of r270,s recommend at a mininum, a 500 watt psu......

jellowiggler

Jun 29, 2011
I would stay put with the unit you have if it has the right connectors for your system. It's a good quality unit that isn't causing a problem.