Do I need a firewall? Screen shot included.

Mears

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2000
Ok, here is the screenshot:

Screen Shot

It looks like I have some open ports. Since, I'm going to be running a FTP server, I'll probably have some nefarious people connecting to my computer. Should I force SSH on my FTP server, or will that prevent some FTP browser clients from logging on?

Lastly, in reference to those other ports that are open, should I get a firewall to protect them? I've never used one before so I really don't know what is involved in setting them up. Do you just pick which ports you want it to protect or does it protect all ports? Will this affect any of the settings of programs I use on the net? I notice that many file sharing programs require you to set things up differently if you are behind a firewall. Also, which of these open ports should I be worried about?

Saltin

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
A firewall is always a good idea. You can download a nice free one at www.zonealarm.com
The zonealarm firewall is pretty darn easy to use. After you install it, it will notify you whenever an app or process attempts to access the net. What you then do is give it a yes or no, and you can tell it to remember your answer from here on in.
Don't be afraid to try it out, the learning curve is tiny.
The big benifit is that no app/process can contact the web without your say so. It gives you a nice picture of what is going on behind the scene. On top of that, it closes all the ports on your box that are in the listening state and do not need to be. No one can ping you, no one can scan you. You can also read about all the attempts of others to scan you, etc in the notification area.
It's amazing how many people are port scanning!

RayH

Jun 30, 2000
You might want to consider a hardware router with built in firewall. You can open up just the port for ftp and most of the built in firewalls can make you unpingable.

Searching

Jun 12, 2001
You need a firewall, no question about it. You have your netbios (file-sharing) port open to the world. If you don't want to spend money for a hardware firewall. Use ZoneAlarm or Sygates Personal Firewall both are free for personal use, and you can configure them to make your ftp more secure (ip range blocking etc.)

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Even if you get a hardware router with a built in firewall, get tiny personal firewall or zone alarm for added protection.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<< What was the URL to test this? >>

You can test it at grc.com or go onto irc and in any hacker chat room say that everyone there is a script kiddiot :p

Shagga

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 1999
Sorry...i didn't make the connection between the URL on the screen shot and the "Shields" website. DOH!

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<< Sorry...i didn't make the connection between the URL on the screen shot and the "Shields" website. DOH! >>

I didnt know if that was the one he used, I just know they offer something like that. So no problems ;)

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
i ran the port test, all my ports were closed, except for HTTP and TELNET, which were stealth..

I am not running a personal firewall, should I?

btw, I have a netgear rt314

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<< i ran the port test, all my ports were closed, except for HTTP and TELNET, which were stealth..

>>

I hope you dont use telnet.... anyhow, yeah, I would. Layer your defenses. :)

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000

<<

<< i ran the port test, all my ports were closed, except for HTTP and TELNET, which were stealth..

>>

>>

the only telnetting I do is on my local network to my router:)

bah, downloading ZA now:(

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<<

<<

>>

>>

>>

Ill smack you later for it. OpenSSH!!!! http://www.openssh.com for UNIX-compatible systems. http://www.networksimplicity.com/openssh/ for Winders.

<< bah, downloading ZA now:( >>

No frowns. Its not a bad thing. Well, not really... You may be able to sleep better with a more secure setup.

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000

<<

<<

<<

>>

>>

>>

Ill smack you later for it. OpenSSH!!!! http://www.openssh.com for UNIX-compatible systems. http://www.networksimplicity.com/openssh/ for Winders.

<< bah, downloading ZA now:( >>

No frowns. Its not a bad thing. Well, not really... You may be able to sleep better with a more secure setup.
>>

What is this whole SHHH thing??

Explain!

/me dodges the smack heading my way

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<< What is this whole SHHH thing??

Explain!

>>

Ill pretend you are serious for a moment. OpenSSH is a connection over an encrypted tunnel. All passwords and whatnot go over an encrypted link so you dont have to worry (as much) about someone sniffing your passwords. :)

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000

<<

Explain!

>>

Ill pretend you are serious for a moment. OpenSSH is a connection over an encrypted tunnel. All passwords and whatnot go over an encrypted link so you dont have to worry (as much) about someone sniffing your passwords. :)
>>

Is this something that is supported through telnet? Is this some sort of https type of thing

Pardon my ignorance:Q

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<<

<<

Explain!

>>

>>

Is this something that is supported through telnet? Is this some sort of https type of thing

>>

SSH is a telnet replacement (well rsh actually, but you get the point). It runs on port 22. Also includes an encrypted version of ftp and rcp.

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000

<<

<<

<<

Explain!

>>

>>

>>

SSH is a telnet replacement (well rsh actually, but you get the point). It runs on port 22. Also includes an encrypted version of ftp and rcp.
>>

ahh, looks like I will install that:)

Thanks for all the info

BTW, sorry Mears we kinda hijacked your thread:p