Do I have to remove this motherboard's backplate? (Solved)

Rayniac

Oct 23, 2016
I'm in the process of installing my Cooler Master Seidon 240V AIO cooler and I just wanted to make sure of one thing before I proceed.

It's about the backplate that I'm supposed to install under the motherboard.
Y8F3oZ5.jpg

The Seidon 240V's backplate touches those screws that hold the retention bracket in place. Is that bad or OK? Do I have to remove the motherboard's backplate? The installation manual doesn't mention this but then again this drawing doesn't have it either:

z0k0WVD.jpg

Confused. Advice? :(

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
what's your mobo model?

It's likely those screws are holding the CPU retention mechanism to the board, make sure you're orientating the HSF bracket the right way.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
This type of Coolers are based on hardware that is screwed to a special retainer installed under the Mobo.

If you currently you have such type of Cooler installed it might be that you can screw the new Cooler into the existing retainer.

Otherwise, you have to be able to reach the Bottom side of the Mobo to place the retainer.. In most cases it means taking carefully the Mobo out of the case, placing the retainer under, screw in the Cooler and installing the Mobo into the case.

:cool:

Feb 25, 2011
Some motherboards have a sort of heat spreader thing underneath the CPU socket. Do not attempt to remove it. The HSF retention bracket should install over that.

Rayniac

Oct 23, 2016
The mobo is Asus P8 Z77-V LX

That's kinda along the lines of what I thought as well. I really don't want to remove the CPU backplate because the retention mechanism is holding my delidded i5-3570K in place. Basically what my worries boil down to is: Does it matter if there's a connection between the CPU backplate and the CPU heatspreader on the top? Because normally the standard intel push pins would isolate them from each other.

Rayniac

Oct 23, 2016
Nevermind. I got it. There were holes in the backplate that align with the CPU backplate's screws. I blame the manual here since it told me to install it the wrong way. :rolleyes: I just had to turn it 90 degrees and voilà!

It was supposed to go like this:
DSC_0556.jpg