Do i HAVE to reformate?

twitchee2

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2004
I am getting a a8n-sli soon, i was wondering do i have to reformate my hdd to go to that new comp. i have software on this comp that i dont have the cds for anymore. so do i HAVE to reformate for my new set up

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
no, but it's highly recommended that you re-install winXP.
WinXP will not boot if you change motherboard, unless you re-install or do a repair.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
your current setup..?
Originally posted by: twitchee2
i have a sony viao rx-850 512 ram 80 gb hdd dvd rom cd-rw

For testing purposes I'd image that 80 to a 100/120 then try the new setup..as always..ymmv

twitchee2

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2004
O quick question. If i dont have the origonal cd that installed my microsoft office but i have my lisense #. can i use a differnet micosoft office install cd and the lisence i already have?

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: twitchee2
O quick question. If i dont have the origonal cd that installed my microsoft office but i have my lisense #. can i use a differnet micosoft office install cd and the lisence i already have?

Yes, if the CD you borrow is the same type of MS Office Distribution (MS Office 2003 Standard for example) as the license you have, then it will work. This is completely legal. You purchased the license, and the CD is simply the distribution of the software. You can even call MS and explain that the CD is missing, and after asking a few questions they will likely send you a new CD for the cost of the media and shipping.

V00D00

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
wait wait wait... you're going to replace the motherboard in a sony vaio computer??

That sounds like fun.

I recently upgraded my system from an Athlon XP 2500 to a P4 3.4, motherboard swap and all, and I reformated one of my drives, but I left the original install I had on so I could copy the files over. It turns out the original install I was using works fine with the new hardware after I uninstalled the old drivers (I did this before the swap) and put the new ones on.

Tostada

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've never had any problem with repairing an XP install. I've replaced many motherboards with entirely different chipsets (several SiS -> nForce) and an install repair has no problems, because it's actually reinstalling windows; it just keeps your settings and programs. On a side note, if you're upgrading from XP SP1 to SP2, by far the best solution is to do an install repair with a slipstreamed XP SP2 disc. I've seen several problems with just running the SP2 patch.

Just boot to the XP disc and say you want to install (don't try to repair on the 1st screen). It will then say it found a copy of Windows already on your machine and ask if you want to repair that. That's where you say repair. It will look like it's totally reinstalling XP, but then when it's done you will still have all your programs.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
beware. my friend has a sony viao. top of the line. it has only 220w psu. watch out if you do upgrades

Tostada

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Of course, maybe I got you all wrong. Reformate is part of gasoline. It's the high-octane product of catalytic reforming when petroleum is cracked.

You pretty much have to reformate. Now that cars all run on unleaded, your engine will knock without it.

twitchee2

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2004
well im goin from p4 to amd
i am only kepping my hdd and opicals to save money EVERYTHING else is going to be new

BTW i dont have a xp disc because it was a prebuilt. i have the system restore discs can i do a window repair with those discs?

Tostada

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
No. There's absolutely no way you're going to get the original P4 Vaio system restore discs working after you stick an A64 in there. You'll have to *ahem* acquire a normal copy of XP.