Do I HAVE to do this when getting my new radio?

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Getting a new car deck soon and the people at best buy said that I also need to buy an additional $100s in parts for the car's audible warning system. Can I get by without adding this or is this a requirement for the car to operate correctly? It just seems like a waste of money to pay $100 to have the car ding at me when I leave my keys in the ignition or something.

Aug 27, 2002
never take your car to best buy for car audio, take it to a professional, a pro will do better, cleaner work (and are often cheaper) most Best Buy's will simply hack your cars wiring to get it to work, with no qualms about how poor a job they are doing.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Well, I wasn't really going to go to Best Buy... I was going to do it myself. Looking on Crutchfield they also mentioned to keep the audible warning system I needed to buy an additional part from them ($80 from Crutchfield) and I was mainly wondering about whether it was really necessary or not to have?

Here is the exact quote from Crutchfield:
Your vehicle's warning chime is integrated with the factory radio. Because of this, you will need to purchase an adaptor that allows for the continued operation of the factory warning chime (needed to keep audible safety warnings functioning) and provides a switched 12 volt power source for your new radio. If you do not use a compatible adaptor when you replace your factory radio, you will disable the audible warning system in your vehicle. Crutchfield strongly recommends that you not replace this vehicle's factory radio without using a recommended adaptor.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Sounds like a personal choice issue to me. Do you want your car to ding at you when you're low on gas or forget to buckle your seatbelt or whatever?

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Actually, the only time I hear it ding is when I leave the keys in the ignition and open the door. It only lights up the dash to tell me about seatbelt and gas being low. I doubt I really care about the key issue. What about the "provides a switched 12 volt power source." What does this mean? The new radio will not work with the current power source without the warning system add-on?

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: lobadobadingdong
never take your car to best buy for car audio, take it to a professional, a pro will do better, cleaner work (and are often cheaper) most Best Buy's will simply hack your cars wiring to get it to work, with no qualms about how poor a job they are doing.

:beer: