Do I have the right to be pissed? (just venting)

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
Kind of a silly question (for one I'm peeved already), but I'm not sure if I should say something to this girl. I'm working with her on this project for another doctoral student (mainly to get a letter of rec). Last week she e-mailed me and wanted to meet at the library at 5 (her decision). The library she chose isn't too far, but it's a bit of a walk (about half a mile) and I don't have a car. That's all good, but she doesn't show up, so I leave at 5:15. She e-mails me later and says she forgot and got there at 5:20, and apologizes. She sets a new time a couple days later at the same time. I get there, and she doesn't show up again. I wait until 5:35 and leave. I e-mail her and try to be professional. I don't even try to mention how much I've been inconvenienced, but suggest that we do the meeting over e-mail or wait until we can meet with the doctoral student. She replies by saying she forgot the meeting because her old roommate visited her and she spent the day with him. She apologized again, but again with just a casual 'sorry' and 'I'm not usually this irresponsible' (hmm).

Today she e-mails me and says we will meet either Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday with the doctoral student. Nothing else hinting about the last two meetings. I hate confrontations unless I'm sure I'm doing the right thing (to be fair I've missed a couple meetings in my lifetime before also). Should I say something?

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
well, she is taking advantage of a valuable resource.

you can be a child and not show up to the next couple and maybe she will get the message or you can stop helping her.

you can also take the good route out by saying something along the lines of " hey, if you aren't on time i'm not going to help you any more." or have her pick you up on the way to the meeting place.

EDIT:
and yes, you do have the right to be irked.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Why don't you have her choose a meeting spot more convenient to you? i.e. next door to your place or somewhere you might be anyway should she not show up...like Hooters for example.

That way, if she doesn't show up, you haven't lost much. Also, bring some other work like the checkbook you have to balance or the bills you have to pay.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Is her name Safiya.... that sounds exactly like my ex! if her name is Safiya.... run away! run for your life!

-Max

Dually

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2000
Okay, she is using you. I suggest that you do the work alone, talk to the student, and tell her to go away and such.