Question Do I have defective A memory channel ?

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
I got Z590 Phantom Gaming 4 ac MB, I am trying to install pair of memory but I cant seems to populate memory channel A or just able to use A channel.
If I put any module in there it just sound like fan picks up speed and get slower.
If I use memory channel B it works fine.
Is that mean I have defective MB?7ED2F59B-4A46-4621-BBBD-C81C34652DE1.jpeg7A13DF46-29BC-4838-8329-4A4AFCE300FC.jpegA8D84591-F3AD-460F-8FAC-EB0FB35BDC29.jpeg
The memory I am using is F skills F4 3200c 14 D
Here is CPUz stuff Linkified
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
could be bad ram. try it in another system as see if it works.

Try ram from another system in your z590 board to see if there are issues with ram slots.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
could be bad ram. try it in another system as see if it works.

Try ram from another system in your z590 board to see if there are issues with ram slots.
Ram is known good, tested on different computer, plus both module works on same channel.
Take a pic of the CPU socket pins, I'll let you know if you bent some pins or not.
Will do,
standby

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Really weird,
I wonder should I be worried ?

lol

You had them in the wrong slots to begin with. Once you switched it to the correct ones it worked as intended. I'm surprised the 1st responder didn't catch it, equally surprised I was the 1st one to notice.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
lol

You had them in the wrong slots to begin with. Once you switched it to the correct ones it worked as intended. I'm surprised the 1st responder didn't catch it, equally surprised I was the 1st one to notice.
How did you figure?
Memory channel A didn’t work, every time that memory socket got populated, MB wont pwr up.
It only pwr up when only Memory channel B was in use.
So please explain what what us your understanding is, why it worked now then before?

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
How did you figure?
Memory channel A didn’t work, every time that memory socket got populated, MB wont pwr up.
So please explain what what us your understanding is, why it worked now then before?
No I think he was mistaken and did not realize your channel A was not working.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
How did you figure?

The comment was for dual channel vs single channel as shown in your images.

You populate A2 and B2 when using two sticks of memory. Most likely if your were to purchase another matching set of sticks you would be able to drop them in A1 and A2 without issue. Your co-pilot which is the manual would have shown you the way. There's always a reference to what slots to use in certain scenarios listed in the manual.

From your MB's quick install guide.

DCM_config.PNG

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
lol

How did you figure?
Kenmitch just got pwned. :p

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
[/QUOTE]
Kenmitch just got pwned. :p

View post above this quote

Check OP, only channel B was working at that time.

Viewing his single channel vs dual channel images you can see the sticks were swapped into the correct orientation. I'm not sure if he tried A1 or A1 + A2 on his 1st go around or the same configuration that's getting him dual channel now. He didn't state what he actually tried other then he thinks Channel A was non functional. I guess there's a possibility that reseating the cpu fixed it?

In the end it's working now so it's kind of a moot point at this time anyways.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
View post above this quote

Viewing his single channel vs dual channel images you can see the sticks were swapped into the correct orientation. I'm not sure if he tried A1 or A1 + A2 on his 1st go around or the same configuration that's getting him dual channel now. He didn't state what he actually tried other then he thinks Channel A was non functional. I guess there's a possibility that reseating the cpu fixed it?

In the end it's working now so it's kind of a moot point at this time anyways.
dude, we all read and saw the pics.

When he pulled the CPU it was obvious there was a bent pin. Improper contact can cause memory issues. In this case it did.

The two ram slots closest to the CPU weren't functioning correctly because of the pin.

Re-seating the CPU fixed the ram slot issues not which slots held the ram.

In other words, your post was wrong.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
The comment was for dual channel vs single channel as shown in your images.

You populate A2 and B2 when using two sticks of memory. Most likely if your were to purchase another matching set of sticks you would be able to drop them in A1 and A2 without issue. Your co-pilot which is the manual would have shown you the way. There's always a reference to what slots to use in certain scenarios listed in the manual.

From your MB's quick install guide.

View attachment 44718
As I have stated I did try A2 and B2, MB didn't pwr up at all. Fan would spin up at full speed and then slow down. I also didn't heard any beeps.
I also try just A1 by it self and B1 by it self. Yes, MB didn't pwr up and no beeps.
However B1 and B2 has worked by it self and another memory in that other socket with same memory channel.
Now I can only populate memory channel A with single memory module or both socket Like A1 & A2, and it works.
The current configuration is A2 & B2.
I have also tried A1 and B1, that is also works.
Lets look at CPU and socket.
When I took the CPU out, to see what is the culprit is i.e. bend pin on socket, which I still don't think it was, please look the imprints on CPU pin points.
99F1D3A8-28D3-4D82-A0E0-FE86BF1000A6.jpeg3F5FD05F-AD4B-4090-99C9-0EEA21AE8ABE.jpeg
I am re-orienting the picture for easier comparisons again.
Now there was something which was causing memory channel A not to work then, it is working now.
I cannot figure out what was that, I am not worried, but I am concern.
I also understand, there is less of a reward trying to figure why Fly did sit on that wall :oops:

Last edited: