Do I have a virus?

walrus

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2000
I gotten this popup I was able to get a screen shot of the warning,Here is it on on postimage,org..... https://postimg.org/image/xn8ho1m8f/

My computer has been very slow and three or four times it rebooted while I was using Opera. I ran Windows Defender and it found and deleted " Backdoor:Win32/Floxif.gen!A " I downloaded a new install of malwarebytes and ran it with no results. It just poped up again. It says not to shut down computer, but if I close the browser it goes away. I usually use Opera on Win 10. I'm running Win Defender again now.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Run malwarebytes and adwcleaner, that should clean up anything lingering on your system. Opera I do not trust anymore, chrome or firefox, even edge, are preferable imo. Panda cloud cleaner is a another good free follow up you can run too.

walrus

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2000
I've been using Opera since you still had to pay for it,I got a free trial here.It has all my bookmarks I'd hate to change, but I will if it's that bad. I ran malwarebites after running Win Defender the first time, it found nothing

walrus

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2000
. I just ran Win Defender first it found nothing, then adwcleaner then then adwcleaner found 11 files and deleted them, then I ran malwarebytes and it found nothing. Should I change my passwords?

chrx144

Feb 19, 2018
You should install Hitman pro or Malwarebytes and ensure that it sweeps up everything. After eliminating the malware, you should add an ad blocker or a pop blocker on your browser to ensure that it does not happen again.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Don't worry about Opera having your bookmarks. You should be able to Export them as .htm or .html and then they can be Imported into whatever browser you decide to use them in. It is also smart to do this anyway from time to time, so you do not lose them, if the computer gets messed up and a clean install is needed. As to virus removal, it should be done in Safe Mode as some files can not be deleted otherwise. You should also clean out the Temp Files for all the Users. Anything that an app or something needs will get recreated if it is accidentally removed.
How to work with Opera bookmarks (export or import as needed) ... I saw that same thing this morning in Firefox when it went to the finance.yahoo.com home page... Of course I closed the web browser and restarted it.
http://help.opera.com/Windows/12.10/en/importexport.html

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I gotten this popup I was able to get a screen shot of the warning,Here is it on on postimage,org..... https://postimg.org/image/xn8ho1m8f/

My computer has been very slow and three or four times it rebooted while I was using Opera. I ran Windows Defender and it found and deleted " Backdoor:Win32/Floxif.gen!A " I downloaded a new install of malwarebytes and ran it with no results. It just poped up again. It says not to shut down computer, but if I close the browser it goes away. I usually use Opera on Win 10. I'm running Win Defender again now.

No, I doubt you have a virus. It's just a phishing page trying to get you to call them. At that point, they will ask for a CC number to fix your "issues". I do know people that have fallen for it though. Old scam.

Skunk-Works

Jun 29, 2016
No, I doubt you have a virus. It's just a phishing page trying to get you to call them. At that point, they will ask for a CC number to fix your "issues". I do know people that have fallen for it though. Old scam.

This is what I thought, but the OP said he found malware on his Comp.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Some anti-malware apps can treat PUPs as malware. PUPs are quite common.

Skunk-Works

Jun 29, 2016
This must be a popular BS popup because my parents just got the same thing. I make them use Sandboxie for their browser and Bitdefender Free is installed so I know they don't have malware. I even scanned the computer with Bitdefender just to make sure. Nothing found. I'm now scanning the computer with Herdprotect portable.

What I did notice was that their ADblocker was disabled and that could have been it. I re-enabled the ADblocker and no more popup. I have them use uBlock. If you don't have an AD blocker, I strongly suggest you do. Some ADs can be laced with malware and crap so it would be in your best interest to block them. You can use uBlock in Firefox or its variants. I chose to use Pale Moon and that's what I put on my parent's computer. I have no idea if Chrome has AD blocker extensions. Last I heard was that Google never allowed them. If that's still true, ditch that crappy browser.

PeterRoss

May 31, 2017
This red warning is definitely very popular, I have already seen it three or four times, including this blog. Nevertheless, what you should keep in mind is that the appearance of this alert means that you are infected with potentially unwanted program. Typically, such ads are related to adware which alters web browser and then starts interrupting the victim while he or she is browsing on the web. The easiest way to remove it is to reset the browser. However, sometimes it is also recommended checking the system for potentially unwanted programs, especially the ones that do not provide their developers.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
You just defined PUPs - they can be treated as malware by MBAM.

Skunk-Works

Jun 29, 2016
what you should keep in mind is that the appearance of this alert means that you are infected with potentially unwanted program.

Not necessarily. My parents computer got this and I have buttoned their computer up pretty tight. Just to make sure I scanned the computer with Bitdefender Free, Herdprotect portable, SuperAntiSpyware, and Stream Armor. Nothing found.