do I apply for this job?

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
like all, I am struggling to find a job as I am just graduated, and I find this job description, and even though I dont match 100%, it's the closest that I have found.

the position is for a Application test engineer:
responsibilities include
Responsibilities:
Analyze and extend application tests to ensure complete and efficient coverage for all application features and functions.

Develop and extend automated test software and scripts, testing infrastructure, and all test related documentation.

Work with Product and Development teams to develop and execute test plans.

Work with Development team to automate all product build processes.

Analyze our applications to identify key areas for automation.

Work with Product and Sales teams to benchmark our applications and extend the benchmarking infrastructure.

Assist in streamlining and improving the daily test processes.

Maintain suite of independent validation tools and documentation

skills required:

Software - Excel, Word, Web familiarity.

Programming - Perl, HTML, XML, JavaScript, Java, Segue 4Test.

Attention to detail.

Strong communication skills (written and verbal).

Strong administrative and project management skills.

I fit all of them except the programming part. I know html fairly well, I took java in school(but really really suck at it), and the rest, I have no idea.

first of all, is this a job that requires me to use programming a lot? will I need to sit there and program stuff? If so, then I wont even apply. I'm just asking because as a math major, this is the closest thing that matches me, but the programming requirement is really taking me down....

AdamSnow

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2002
Apply anyway... even if you dont get the job the interview experiance will only help you in the future.

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
the skills they require? is it something that I can learn on my own? I remember html was very basic.....can I learn pearl, xml etc etc using tutorials easily?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Looks like they are looking for someone to write test harnesses using Segue Silktest and/or Silkperformer (that is the 4test part). It will probably be a lot of programming. Doesn't really look like an entry level job either.