do humans innately fear the sight of a hypodermic needle? *new question*

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
there was a question about this on my ap psych test. it said "a child's fear at the sight of a hypodermic needle is a(n):" and I answered "conditioned response" because [I think] the only reason they fear it is that they've come to associate it with pain. however, I tried to explain this to my teacher and she insists that "unconditioned response" is the correct answer. sooo what is it?

edit: here's another question I got wrong:

as people near the completion of a lucrative task, they typically become increasingly less likely to give up and discontinue their work. this best illustrates that operant behavior is most effectively influenced by _______ reinforcers.
a) primary
b) negative
c) immediate (my answer)
d) partial

I think it's a stretch, but I suppose completing a task could be considered a primary reinforcer. if you think of it in terms of stress being removed, it could also be considered a negative reinforcer. immediate seems most logical though since you work harder when the end is coming. the only way the last answer would work is if it was considered a fixed or variable interval reinforcement schedule, and I don't think it is. any ideas? I have to come up with correct answers and explanations for the ones I missed.

and she wonders why I got the high of 87%...

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I had one experience where I was going in for a Physical before going to some camp or something (might have just been a 10 year check-up). Anyway, the lady goes to get the stuff and comes back in with this needle that was really quite long. I said something like "Are you going to stick that whole thing in my arm?". She looked at it and said "Oops, that's the wrong needle". She then went back to get a shorter one.

Man I'd probably have gotten the needle in my arm bone if I hadn't said anything.

But I'm not scared of needle. I just don't like giving blood and seeing it gurgling out of me. I'm fine watching other people give blood, watching the surgery channe l on TV and such, but when I'm the one that's hurt, I get all queasy.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
a baby who sees a needle on the ground will play with it.

don't expect your teachers to give way, ever. it's the nature of a figure in authority.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
conditioned, just like a junkie's repsonse to a hypodermic needle is happiness.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: fivespeed5

show me a true junkie that actually still likes using it.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
What reasons do your teacher present to support her position? Is there any actual evidence to indicate that fear of hypodermic needles is anything other than a conditioned response? I suppose it could be a cognitive response along the lines of "hey, that's going to puncture my skin, and that will hurt", but has anyone done studies to prove it?

There is no reason why you shouldn't question your teacher in this case. Do not always blindly assume that what teachers tell you is correct.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
Originally posted by: fivespeed5

show me a true junkie that actually still likes using it.

it's an example, you get the idea.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
the thought of somthing going into my body and injecting liquid freaks me out......good thing I wasn't born a girl:Q

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Joeyman
the thought of somthing going into my body and injecting liquid freaks me out......good thing I wasn't born a girl:Q

or homo.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Innately fear a hypodermic needle? No but humans fear pain, which has nothing to do with the object itself. Humans fear the outcome of the object plunging into your body and causing the pain.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
I don't have any fear of them or anything... they don't bother me in the slightest.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
There is no reason why you shouldn't question your teacher in this case. Do not always blindly assume that what teachers tell you is correct.
oh, I know. stuff like this happens all the time. my teachers rock :frown:

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: Joeyman

or homo.

well people are born boys or girls but people aren't born homo they choose it (well I guess people can nowadays choose to be a goy or girl too) so it doesn't really apply. Anyway, I'd say it is a conditioned response. I don't mind needles but maybe it's because I'm used to them after 4+ years of allergy shots.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
No. I never was afraid or cried when I was little, and now, I couldn't care less about them. Oooh, I'm being poked by a needle, someone save me...

bigredguy

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2001
I have had so many shots, IVs and given enough blood that i don't really care anymore. But more to the point, a baby that has never been stuck by a needle wouldn't fear it so how is your teacher right? Sounds like she's an idiot.

ChinamanatNCSU

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2001
I would go with conditioned too. If you've never seen something before or have no idea what it does, why would you automatically fear it? The first time I saw a needle, I thought nothing of it, until the fvcking thing was jabbed into my arm. you should definitely stick with your answer. I'm curious though as to the reasoning behind your teacher's answer.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
I am more bothered by red fire ants or bees than I am of needles. Of course I assume that needs in general bring good things to you - vaccinations etc. Much better than actually getitng polio.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: thirtythree
there was a question about this on my ap psych test. it said "a child's fear at the sight of a hypodermic needle is a(n):" and I answered "conditioned response" because [I think] the only reason they fear it is that they've come to associate it with pain. however, I tried to explain this to my teacher and she insists that "unconditioned response" is the correct answer. sooo what is it?

I would completely agree with you.