do home owners in Hawaii have volcano insurance?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FoBoT, Oct 2, 2007.

1. FoBoT

FoBoT No Lifer

i am watching the history channel, mega disasters, Hawaii Apocalypse, "How an event similar to the 1868 eruption of the Mauna Loa volcano and major earthquakes would impact Hawaii today."

so i was wondering if people that own homes on old lava flows buy volcano insurance

or are they like the people in Florida that don't buy hurricane insurance
    or people that live near the Mississippi River and don't buy flood insurance

2. Slew Foot

Slew Foot Lifer

It wouldnt matter because the insurance company would deny the claim because the damage was caused by the lava and not the volcano, or something stupid like that.

3. FoBoT

FoBoT No Lifer

that is why i specified "volcano" insurance. you can get insurance for specific things that aren't normally covered

for example, i recently added a "earthquake rider" to my home owners policy. for this area, it only added $44/year to my policy since the risk is low

that is my question, is the risk so high in Hawaii that no companies offer volcano coverage? or is it optional and what ratio of people get it?

4. shocksyde

shocksyde Diamond Member

What show was it where someone got suckered into buying volcano insurance with the "rainy day fund"? Damn you, memory!

5. FoBoT

FoBoT No Lifer

i think you are thinking of "Family Guy", but that doesn't really answer my question

6. rocadelpunk

rocadelpunk Diamond Member

TOUCHE SALESMAN, I TOO HAVE AN UNCLE.

: )

7. novasatori

novasatori Diamond Member

8. FoBoT

FoBoT No Lifer

you crabs aren't really getting to the point

9. Kanalua

Kanalua Diamond Member

No....you wouldn't really need it, unless you live in a volcanic flow zone (which would be only on the island of Hawai`i, known as the Big Island). If you live there, good luck getting any home owners insurance. But there is no real "Volcano insurance" out there...there might be some small company offering it, but you're not really going to get it.

Other bad thing...when Lava goes over your home...the state owns the "new property." But it's not like you'd like to live there anymore...your whole town is destroyed along with all amenities...everything is gone...you'd be literally living on rock if you did stay...look up Kalapana Hawaii...or Royal Gardens Hawaii... this is literally what the place looks like now: http://www.hawaiihighways.com/...90-embedded-slsign.jpg

10. FoBoT

FoBoT No Lifer

the show did mention that, that the state takes over the new lava covered areas.

so you are just SOL? no more house/money? do you still have to pay your mortgage? sounds like it would be better to not keep to much equity in your home

the show said the entire town of Helo is in an old flow zone, from a 1801 eruption and that when it does that again (they basically said it was just a matter of time) then whole town could be wiped out in less than an hour

i suppose this is similar to the "big one" in california where the whole state drops into the ocean and Nevada gets beach front property, just too "far out there" for people to think out it

11. Special K

Special K Diamond Member

Haha, that was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

"According to my uncle, who is an expert in volcanos, a volcano is headed this way!"

12. ProfJohn

ProfJohn Lifer

The state has a system where they give land to people who lose homes to the volcano.

I was on the big island and did the volcano tour and the guide told us about the plan.
    Apparently you can pick which island you get land on as well. Cheap way to get land on Oahu, buy land near volcano and hope your house bits it.

13. iamwiz82

iamwiz82 Lifer

If you check out the Big Island via satellite photos its really clear where the laval flows during an eruption.

14. Fritzo

Fritzo Lifer

Go onnnn........