DO Harley's HAVE to sound that obnoxious??

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: walk2
Yea, heard that "safety" crap before, still ain't buyin it.

Let's face it, if safety was your main concern you wouldn't be on public streets in a 2-wheel deathtrap to begin with... nuff said.

rolleye.gif

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
Hey look at me I have a Harley I guess that qualifies me as an Americn badass which mean I'm a chick magnet and which means I'm tough and have big balls and a big dick!

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Well just shows that as Red said the youngsters here just cannot appreciate anything which they cannot afford and is not uber fast or ultra performance....

I agree with CS, I personally appreciate both the Jap Crotch rockets and the Harley Cruisers but for very different reasons (actually I would never buy a Jap Crotch rocket and instead opt for a Ducati or a BMW) and cannot see how people can compare the two genre's or complain about Harley for not offering performance when there are so many other brands that people can buy and be happy with...they appeal to two very different types of riders...

and having known many who have lost limbs and their lives to drivers who were unaware or just plain stupid I cannot stress enough that louder vehicles do help in savings lives/preventing accidents...

those rice rocket fart cans though don't have a loud rumble but rather a higher pitched crap sound...:)

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
How the hell did I post in the wrong thread....

*Moves two steps to the left

tlam617

Jun 24, 2003
O man, I hate harleys. They look cool and everything but they are simply just too loud.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Well, I own a Harley and the truth of the matter is that stock Harleys are not very loud, but when you add performance pipes on it they get loud quick. Yes, they are not really street legal with these pipes, but oh well. I see no difference between those little ricer fart exhausts and Harley's with aftermarket pipes......

Oh and as far as safety, I have owned both monster sport bikes and Harleys, and Harleys are much safer. The easiest way to validate that is by insurance rates. When I had my Ninja my insurance was $200 a month. For my Harley I pay $145 a year......

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: iskim86
Hey look at me I have a Harley I guess that qualifies me as an Americn badass which mean I'm a chick magnet and which means I'm tough and have big balls and a big dick!
Nah you can't fool us. You are just some Internet Dweeb who squats to pee j/k..maybe:)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Harley's are not 'that loud' from the factory...however in the Harley demographic louder = better and usually the quote is 'can I get the loudest exhaust pipe on it before I pick it up?'

Many places are outlawing exhausts which are too loud (I think 120dB is the typical mark).

It has nothing to do with making more power, or being safer with the Harley guys...some of them go way overboard and if they *really* wanted to be safe they'd place a long flexible flag on the back of the bike like the MG guys do to prevent getting run over by trucks changing lanes (the car is usually lower than the mirror view, just like a bike).

Now, as far as neighborhoods....you should have had some sort of rules and if there were none or if bikes/swamp buggys/pickups/trailers/etc were not specified then it's allowed.

There are people in my community (Polo/Horse community) trying to outlaw pickup trucks and saying SUV's should be used. Tell that to a guy that needs to pull 10 horses in a trailer and the most any SUV out there can handle is about 9000 lbs....

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Oh and as far as safety, I have owned both monster sport bikes and Harleys, and Harleys are much safer.
I'm sorry man, but that is just plain wrong. The average Harley rider may be safer, due to the fact that he/she is likely much older than the average sportbike rider, and has the heavy responsibility of riding around on a $20,000+ machine, but the bikes themselves are quantifiably less safe than sportbikes. They don't stop as well (old school brakes), they don't go as well (old school motor), and they don't corner as well (old school chassis, suspension, and tires). Period.

Slow /= safety

Control=safety

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Well, lets put it this way. A 20 year old can get a quote for insurance on a Suzuki sport bike worth $7000 and a Harley for $20,000 and the sport bike will be 5-10 times more for insurance. Last time I checked, insurance companies are pretty knowledgable on vehicle safety. It is their job. And just because something handles better or goes faster does not equate to safety. You are ten times more likely to die on a sport bike than a Harley. Just plain statistics.....

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
The stats are due to the riders, as are the insurance rates.

The biggest safety factor is the nut holding the handlebars, by far.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Rice bikes and Harleys are both loud. I've got beef with both. First with the ricers who blow past my house at 3am. You may say the jap bikes aren't loud, but when the suckers are redlined, they're loud enough to wake me in my house which is a pretty good distance from the road. As for the bikers, at least they sleep at night. But like it's been said before, the majority of Harley riders are these 40 something, mid life crisis, accountants, lawyers etc trying to cultivate the bad boy biker image. I'm bad if I wear black leather and ride a Harley. Around here we call them RUBs(Rich Urban Bikers). Personally I think that's pretty lame. But what's even worse is that Harley Davidson has realized this market and their prices have grown to reflect this. Now adays these RUBs are the only ones that can afford Harleys. It's done away with the Hells Angels and Easy Riders out there. They gotta compete with the Jap bike companies somehow though right?