Do guys really not care about birthdays or holidays?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
I like them both. But I have two little girls so that makes them all more fun.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
don't care at all, sometimes I even forget that it is my birthday until my mom calls me to wish me happy birthday

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I like spending time with my family.
I like to eat.
I like cake.
I like to BBQ.
I like to relax.
I like shooting off fireworks.
I like making bonfires.

I like holidays and birthdays because they are excuses to do the above activities.
I have no interest in holiday decorations, greeting cards, parades, or "preparing" in some way for a holiday.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I could care less. Which reminds me, the wifey's birthday is coming up =X

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I like to hang around with my family on holidays and stuff. Like BBQs or Thanksgiving. I don't get to see my family as much anymore so its nice to spend some time with them. Thats about it though. Its just a waste of resources at Christmas. It really is nothing but obligation.

What do you want for Christmas? Nothing, if I want something I buy it. If it is to expensive for me to afford, its to expensive to ask for as a gift. I mean, when I was 7 and asked for a $50 lego set I might actually get it, but no one is going to buy me a tractor or install new hardwood floors for me for Christmas and I'd feel pretty bad taking such a large gift.

So you end up getting all this useless junk that just takes up space and wastes some one else's money. And even if you wanted something, they usually buy you the wrong one. And now you're obligated to deal with it since it was a gift. Like if its a chair, you either have to live with the ugly chair, store it somewhere or deal with the hassle and potential annoyance of swapping it for one you do want.

And when you're giving gifts, you never know what to get them. And you get mad at them for being exactly like you, and not needing or wanting anything. And the gift always kind of sucks that you get and you know it but you don't care because you don't have all day to go shopping. The few times I've actually managed to find a thoughtful gift that I knew my parents would like, it was only $20 and I felt like a cheapass. Stupid isn't it? That you have to buy some pile of crap that adds up to X dollars wasted to feel like you're meeting your obligation?

Thats what Christmas is all about. Pointless chores that cost you money and in return you usually receive a pile of semi-worthless garbage you never wanted and now have to deal with. I've at least circumvented the last part by not buying any clothes for myself all year and then asking for those every Christmas.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Farang
Originally posted by: Ns1
I could care less.

:(

meh, seriously, it's just a really nice day. I don't want any gifts or anything, I just want to stay home and chill and relax. I usually end up having dinner with the wifey and then dinner with family, but other than that, meh.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I never worry about birthday. To me, bd is just a reminder that you are one year closer to death. I can't remember when was the last time I celebrate bd (years ago).

Holidays = no work with pay and sleep until noon :)

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
I really don't care. I guess it helps (or doesn't help, depending on how you look at it) that my birthday is on Dec. 24.

I don't see what the big deal about birthdays are.

Edit: I should mention that I do care about being with family during holidays. My birthday just happens to fall within that time frame.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I dread my own birthday. I wish they would stop coming so fast

But I look forward to holidays, especially Christmas.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I am in my late 20's and I just don't care for my birthday. It was exciting and fun in the past (in the teens) but after a certain point, it's meh.

I try to remember other people's though, since they may not share my perception.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Don't care for my birthday, but any presents are fine. They're cheap anyway, I usually just get a magazine subscription and I'm happy.

Holidays just mean no work and late sleeping.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I could care less.

meh, seriously, it's just a really nice day. I don't want any gifts or anything, I just want to stay home and chill and relax. I usually end up having dinner with the wifey and then dinner with family, but other than that, meh.
I think he was referring to "could care less" when it should be "couldn't care less". ;)

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: paulxcook
You guys are a bunch of cranky old bastards.

Scrooges :(

Ya no kidding. It's amazing how a lot of people these days can take something which used to be generally accepted by the majority of the public as a wonderful thing and turn it into a cess pool using nothing more than their own POV. There is no way anyone can justify that as being a good thing.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
The only thing I like about holidays is getting a chance to see family, otherwise, I can personally care less about them, although having holidays is nice for away time from the grind of work/school etc.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: clamum
I could care less.

I think he was referring to "could care less" when it should be "couldn't care less". ;)

Well I COULD care less, because I still care a little bit. Whereas if I couldn't care less, it would be at the bottom of the totem pole. Now, britney's latest shenanigans? now THAT, I couldn't care less.

;)

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
I do and don't based on the holiday. To me it's more about the celebration of people. If I'm busy on my birthday celebrating 2 weeks later is no biggie as long as people are glad I'm alive. I like most of the holidays I just don't get super into the gift giving. Don't get me wrong, I love my stuff but on holidays I get excited about seeing people I don't get to see all year.