Question Do external SSD have problems like NVMe Enclosures?

loscamos

Aug 14, 2020
I was reading the thread about Stable NVMe enclosure and I was wondering if external SSD like the Sandisk Extreme suffer from the same problems that NVMe enclosures have. Thanks

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I was reading the thread about Stable NVMe enclosure and I was wondering if external SSD like the Sandisk Extreme suffer from the same problems that NVMe enclosures have. Thanks
USB3 is considered by many (including myself) to be not particularly reliable. I suspect what you were talking about is probably relating to the same problem.

loscamos

Aug 14, 2020
I was interest in buying an NVMe enclosure and use a NVMe drive as external data drive. In the thread mentioned above people are complaining about disconnecting issue related to different controllers. I don't know if these problem are also present on external premade ssd like samsung or Sandisk nor if they are due to the enclosure controller or the USB 3.

NewMaxx

Aug 11, 2007
They use the same bridge chips generally so will have the same relative issues. JMicron JMS583 or ASMedia ASM2362 are the most common (10 Gbps). This includes even Samsung who use the latter.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
IMO, the majority having issues deal with cheap USB cables when running at 1 gigaByte speeds or a misunderstanding of hot NVME drives get when running get at such speeds.

After that would just be the fact that it's 1st gen SOCs and that USB-NVME was cutting edge. Things are maturing and firmware have fixed it. Problem is the cheap USB-NVME enclosure manufactures don't bother to release updates.

TLDNR: Buy 2nd gen products from manufacturers that have provided firmware updates (StarTech, Plugable, ASUS, Sabrent).

loscamos

Aug 14, 2020
IMO, the majority having issues deal with cheap USB cables when running at 1 gigaByte speeds or a misunderstanding of hot NVME drives get when running get at such speeds.

After that would just be the fact that it's 1st gen SOCs and that USB-NVME was cutting edge. Things are maturing and firmware have fixed it. Problem is the cheap USB-NVME enclosure manufactures don't bother to release updates.

TLDNR: Buy 2nd gen products from manufacturers that have provided firmware updates (StarTech, Plugable, ASUS, Sabrent).

Thanks