Do current cell phones have Java support?

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Sorry for the noob question but I play games on pogo.com sometimes on my desktop PC and I'd like to get a cell phone that can play on that site. I don't own a cell phone with data service yet. So can the Droid, Iphone or Nexus display java apps?

dFshadow

Dec 16, 2009
i'm not an expert but i don't think the browsers have java support yet - none of them.

many phones have java environments that you can run java apps in though

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
all version of iPhones does not have a Java support :( it is not going happen in the future as Steve Job think Java is useless with iPhone.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
How about flash?
I assume you need something that that to watch hulu?

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Flash is coming to WebOS, Droid, and others.. not iPhone though it sounds like.. at least not soon. Some are speculating Palm will introduce Flash on WebOS within the next week or so before CES.. I doubt it though.. but Adobe did make it sound like WebOS would be one of, if not the first handset to get full flash support.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
One of the reasons they don't want flash apps in the App Store is that it'd be easier to port games to other platforms...

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Apple and Steve Job are so selfish.

Flash runs like crap on OSX, since an iPhone is basically OSX on a platform with a much weaker processor. I don't think selfishness is the reason. Flash on an iPhone would suck, Jobs knows this so as of now there's no Flash. No Flash is better IMHO than Flash that runs so damn slow it's not even useful.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Flash runs like crap on OSX, since an iPhone is basically OSX on a platform with a much weaker processor. I don't think selfishness is the reason. Flash on an iPhone would suck, Jobs knows this so as of now there's no Flash. No Flash is better IMHO than Flash that runs so damn slow it's not even useful.

Flash: 1
iphone: 0

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
No US carriers offer subsidy pricing on the N900. Newegg has it for $550.

It looks like t-mobile might be offering this phone on subsidy within the next few months, but I just found out that the voice and data plans are more expensive subsidized than non subsidized, in effect making the subsidies a rip off in the long term. In other words I'd rather buy the phone outright and pay less per month. $20 less per month for voice and data on tmobile unsubsidized vs. subsidized is what I'm hearing.

Also I'd rather get at&t or verizon as they have better coverage where I live than t-mobile. I know the Nokia N900 won't work with verizon, but what about at&t?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
You can use the N900 on at&t, but it won't have 3G, only edge speeds. The data plan on at&t will be $30.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Flash: 1
iphone: 0

Doubtful, the rest of the smartphone world will get Flash before iPhones. But, iPhones have awesome sauce like the custom YouTube interface which blows the other phones out the water. And anything worth having we'll get a cool custom version. Hell, the Facebook App for my iPhone is bad ass and ALMOST made me want to use the shitty site, iPhones will get Flash by this coming summer. But I don't honestly care about it. With all the apps my iPhone has than no other phone will ever have it's more like

iPhone: 1
Flash: 0

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Doubtful, the rest of the smartphone world will get Flash before iPhones. But, iPhones have awesome sauce like the custom YouTube interface which blows the other phones out the water. And anything worth having we'll get a cool custom version. Hell, the Facebook App for my iPhone is bad ass and ALMOST made me want to use the shitty site, iPhones will get Flash by this coming summer. But I don't honestly care about it. With all the apps my iPhone has than no other phone will ever have it's more like

iPhone: 1
Flash: 0

:confused: all the other phone OS's have those as well.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004

This may be true, but I bet it has more to do with Flash will allow developers to circumvent the app store. And well all know how Apple feels about that...

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This may be true, but I bet it has more to do with Flash will allow developers to circumvent the app store. And well all know how Apple feels about that...

This is the thing that always puzzled me about everones love for 'app stores'.

If I have network access to use an app store on my phone then I can use Google.
If I can use Google I can find just about any software I need, without the need to get it vetted by the makers of the phone.

I'd far rather make my own decisions about which software I want to run than the OS maker.
Given that smartphones are handheld computers now, would you run your desktop the same way?

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
my slow and old sony ericsson w910i uses java for games, and the phone is more than 2 years old.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
We're talking about a web browser with java support, not downloading .jar files and running them.

Sorry for the noob question but I play games on pogo.com sometimes on my desktop PC and I'd like to get a cell phone that can play on that site. I don't own a cell phone with data service yet. So can the Droid, Iphone or Nexus display java apps?

That bit isnt about web browsers, its about java apps.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
That bit isnt about web browsers, its about java apps.

My bad, improper wording on my part, by apps I meant running in the browser, I now realize I should have not used the word apps. Whats the right wording? applet? browser applet?