Do Class D amplifiers sound a lot better than Class AB Amps?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I don't think you understand me. I am saying that you can build a Class D amp that produces negligible EMI/RFI at little extra cost (perhaps none; I am not a amp designer) versus a Class D amp that floods the vicinity with noise. What the amp actually gets sold for has little to do with that.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think you understand me. I am saying that you can build a Class D amp that produces negligible EMI/RFI at little extra cost (perhaps none; I am not a amp designer) versus a Class D amp that floods the vicinity with noise. What the amp actually gets sold for has little to do with that.

Correct. The companies use it more as a way to have different tiers of product, allowing them to have something that has a 20-30% profit margin (or more) on the "high-end" product. The "low end" one is to get market penetration with only minimal profit. It is all about the money guys, just remember that.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007

It actually doesn't cost any extra in parts , it does cost more in design time depending on the application. A lot of it is just in how the pcb traces are routed. A good design will make heavy use of ground planes and avoiding long straight traces that might work like an antenna to transmit the RF. I have a class D amp made by insignia (best buy cheap as they can find to make it brand), and setting it on my workbench , without the cover on it, and operating it, my scope doesn't pick up anything when the probes are near.

I can put a CFL bulb in a desk lamp and place it 4 feet from the scope and it causes all kinds of rf interference when running. Took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on when I switched to using a CFL in the lamp. I did it to reduce the heat output because I use the lamp to light up the work area. Had to go back to incandescent.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
well regardless, i'm sure we answered the OP's questions. But with Class D, i still say you really need to pay attention more so than Class A or A/B, to exactly what your buying. They are a more difficult design and therefor needs some buyer beware.
There are also a ton of marketing gimmicks to read into. Plus different manufactures use different methods, what to me seems to be the same outcome, like Class B/D, G/H or H or Class T. Or even the newer methods of using higher efficient Class A/B using single rail caps to boost the voltage and therefor power to enable smaller applications with large power outputs and still yields upwards of 75% +/- efficiency