Do cell phone signal boosters work?

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Like this one at NewEgg for example. Looks like a piece of slightly coiled wire that you put between your battery and your phone.

I mean, it's only 7 dollars, but...I have a Samsung N200 phone (Sprint PCS) and the signal loses strength sometimes when I'm in offices and such. Would this help?

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: chrisisbored
Some actually hinder performance and drain the battery more as well.

i dunno about that, but my friend picked up one from Target and also got one off of ebay...neither worked or did a thing for him.

-=bmacd=-

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
If there was some magic device to drastically increase cell phone reception don't you think the manufacturers would be building them into the phone? If I recall correctly from electronics classes long ago an antenna must be either physically or electrically 1/2 wavelength to the incoming signal for optimal reception. Unless these devices somehow magically improve upon the original antenna design in this regard I do not see how they could possibly do anything more than put some quick cash in the sellers pocket.

GSOYF

Nov 20, 2001
no they don't work....my friend was dumb enough to buy one and it didn't work at all

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Of course they work. The cellphone companies would have been using them already except they only have a few million to spend on research and developement. Maybe one day when companies like Motorola, Nokia, Samsung and Ericson become big they can afford to develop their own versions.