Do Asus H87 boards allow disabling single SATA port in BIOS?

postmark

May 17, 2011
I'm upgrading to a HSW system and I want to know if any of the Asus boards support disabling a single SATA port in BIOS. My case is pretty cramped, and getting to the sideways oriented SATA ports won't be very easy, so for reinstalls it would be easiest if I could just disable my storage HDD in BIOS.

Thanks!

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
From a quick look at the manuals, it does not look like it.
I did a quick look at the gigabyte manuals on similar h87 boards and it looks like they actually do.

Maybe someone with both a Asus and a Gigabyte board could double check to confirm

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
That's a major bummer...

Heh, I glanced at that and thought it was showing it had it. When actually what is reading "Disabled" for each port is hot swap capability.

Not sure why it matters though? You can adjust boot priority of all the drives..

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think the only boards that allow individual on/off controls for SATA ports are NVidia chipsets.

postmark

May 17, 2011
Unplug the cable from the drive itself rather than from the motherboard?

Drive is in a tricky spot too. Also as for drive order that doesn't help the issue of windows deciding to put it's boot loader on your data drive because it noticed it had more room.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think the only boards that allow individual on/off controls for SATA ports are NVidia chipsets.

My Gigabyte board in sig allows me to disable Sata Ports. I never tried it till I read this thread tho. Rebooted Disabled Sata Port 0 (Win7) save and exit. Booted to Win 8.1 bloody fast on my second SSD. Win7 SSD is MIA in Win 8.1 currently so it looks to work.

Think it's going to very from MB to MB. Might want to figure out exactly which MB you want to get and maybe ask if anybody has it so they can check for you.

Never tried it before but as you say it'll come in handy during installs on SSD's. Much easier than removing the side cover and unplugging the SSD.

postmark

May 17, 2011
My Gigabyte board in sig allows me to disable Sata Ports. I never tried it till I read this thread tho. Rebooted Disabled Sata Port 0 (Win7) save and exit. Booted to Win 8.1 bloody fast on my second SSD. Win7 SSD is MIA in Win 8.1 currently so it looks to work.

Think it's going to very from MB to MB. Might want to figure out exactly which MB you want to get and maybe ask if anybody has it so they can check for you.

Never tried it before but as you say it'll come in handy during installs on SSD's. Much easier than removing the side cover and unplugging the SSD.

Good to know. But I'm still bitter about gigabyte after my crappy amd system I built back in 2002. That board was so unstable!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Good to know. But I'm still bitter about gigabyte after my crappy amd system I built back in 2002. That board was so unstable!

I'm still bitter about how Asus handled my p67 MB rma a year or two ago! Total stroke around, waisted my time, a couple of rma's later the issue wasn't resolved....Simple issue as the MB would power off but just would stay off as it would magically power back on all by itself. Guess they thought it was a feature that would save me time by not having to hit the power button.

Things have changed in the last 10yrs. I never suggest MB's as they all have their inherent quirks/issues along with the possibility of DOA specimens.

My statement was just to prove the feature is available dependent on the MB's uEFI is all.