Do any of you guys subscribe to PC Gamer magazine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
The thing I liked was to look at the nice photos of the games. I don't like to read too much information on the internet when it comes to gaming so having it in print form makes it better. The magazine also makes it easy to simply sit down and read without surfing the web. I don't know but not everything in the internet age is better. A good old magazine still has its place as does a good old newspaper. Yes, one can watch a game's preview or review on the internet rather than looking at the images on the magazine. But that is simply too easy and takes away some of the excitement (whatever that word may mean to you).

For pure raw information, yes, the internet is better. When it comes to non-measurable qualities, the old ways still have a place.

Last edited:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
That sweet sweet CD full of game demos. 700mb of content was near impossible to gather through the internet speed of that era.

Yeah I was stuck on dial up then. The demos in the late 1990s were great. And that magazine was huge and usually had a lot of great content back then. But magazines by nature have only old news in them and many games don't even have demos anymore even though you wouldn't need a magazine CD to get them in most cases.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Yup, the demo discs were like getting a present every month. I wouldn't install them all at once, I would space them out and usually spend an entire evening playing a single demo (unless it sucked). I don't have that kind of concentration anymore lol.

Nowadays I'll buy a game off of steam and spend like 10 minutes on it. If it doesn't grab me right away I just move on.

I still have almost all of the demo discs. I can't get myself to throw them away.

Speaking of CGW - I have an old issue in the crapper right now from the "no score" days. Does anyone remember that - when they got fed up with people bitching about review scores and stopped scoring games altogether? Noble idea, but very weird.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I used to sub to PCG and CGW. Like others have said their time came and went. I can get all info online now. I dont see the value of print game mags anymore really.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Speaking of demo discs, I still have one, it has Outcast and 3 others on it. Some space sim, might be Eve.
I have all the demo discs that came with the Playstation 1 consoles, they included a different demo disc every so often, my friend used to get a new PS one all the time for whatever reason, so I kept the discs thinking they make good nostalgia some day. They had the coolest UI's for demo cd's.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I still really like print magazines. I think it's sad that there are so few left. I subscribed to PC Gamer till a few months ago. I still enjoy it but just couldn't justify the price for the moment. I may resubscribe in the future if it's still around.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Worldwide there are a nut ton of print mags out there and even quite a few in the US, plenty of people must still enjoy them.