Do any of you guys subscribe to PC Gamer magazine?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I used to really enjoy reading PC Gamer magazine. I remember Greg "TheVede" Vederman's column at the back of the magazine. This was probably around ten or so years ago. I've not subscribed in a long time so was thinking maybe it's time:). I don't want to game too much but I still enjoy reading the magazine.

So how is the magazine now? Any major changes? Do you think it makes you want to buy more games? I certainly don't want that. Maybe one game here and there.

I remember back in 2001 or so the magazine was long but after a couple of years, it started to shrink. How is it now?

Thanks.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
People still read print media these days?

I don't sub to PC Gamer but they do have good articles. Great, even - it's a quality gaming mag. That said, if anything, I would opt for the e-book version on iOS, Kindle, or whatever android equivalent exists to read while sitting around and messing with my tablet(s). It's 20$ for a year I think. I would never go back to print media, though.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I still buy in religiously at the store. Don't know why I don't subscribe because I would save a lot but oh well.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I subscribe digitally on Zinio. I don't remember what it used to be like but looking at the latest issue, it's 99 pages.
I like previews and reviews and yeah, generally it will make me want a game more or less depending. Like Assassins Creed 4, I never played the series but the latest preview sold me. However I'm getting it for PS4 whenever I get one. I stopped buying PC games and as a result won't be re subscribing.
I also like GameInformer and Retro Gamer mags.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I have a subscription to Gameinformer which is worth it for the artwork and articles. I did a trial to PC Gamer but decided not to continues as Gameinformer seemed better to me.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Stopped using print magazines a long time ago...
They have this cool thing called the internet now. It's pretty fast. Have you guys heard of it?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Computer Gaming World was great . . . last century.

I gave up on print magazines many years ago. Too dated, and too many previews that hype a version of the game that does not match the release.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I am going to go against the crowd here and say that print gaming magazines are great. You can't beat the ease of use with print media, just pick it up and open to where you want to read. Even as refined as the Kindle is, it requires a certain level of interaction, effort, etc.

The reason why I don't currently read gaming magazines is because the quality generally has dropped. Less pages, more ads, less full features, lower-quality paper, less issues, the list goes on and on. I really liked Computer Gaming World in 2005. Tom vs Bruce was the highlight of each issue.

The problem with previews being full of hype, that is a age-old issue. I expect previews to be full of s***, it doesn't matter if its online or on paper. I will read previews just to get hyped.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I still get it for old times sake. As soon as it comes in the mail it goes straight into the bathroom where I can peruse the content at my own leisure.

Their lists really went off of the deep end the past few years. It's almost as if they're trying to piss people off.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I still get it for old times sake. As soon as it comes in the mail it goes straight into the bathroom where I can peruse the content at my own leisure.

Their lists really went off of the deep end the past few years. It's almost as if they're trying to piss people off.

some time back they had a huge change in staff over a short period. The articles and layout changed abruptly and the magazine was never good again.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
It would have to publish every other day just to stay relevant. esp. during launch times. :sneaky:

Aug 11, 2008
I have a digital subscription to PC Gamer. Read it on my tablet. I have to say though, that the actual reading experience is much more pleasant with a print copy than on a tablet.

I got the digital subscription because it is only around a buck a month, so what is there to lose. I have to say though that the quality has really gone downhill in the last couple of years. Seems like they change staff way too often as well. Not really much continuity.

BTW, I too have fond memories of Computer Gaming World. I could hardly wait for the new issues of that to come out. I think it is partly because of the writing, but also there seemed to be a much wider variety of single player games coming out then. (I dont play online.)

Now it seems to be only some new FTP online mmo or BFxxx, CODxxx, CrysisXXX, FCxxx, and so on. Not that those are necessarily bad games, but the sequel thing has sort of gotten out of hand.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I like to read PC gamer on my tablet. I like to take it on the pooper as well. Makes for a good reading experience. :)

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
I loved PC Gamer.... Back in 98,99 early 2000s? I remember one time reading about Chex Quest a free kid friendly Doom clone and the writer said: "Don't expect the enemies to explode into bloody chunks of Chex Party Mix." :D

They had some awesome Staff back then. Can't say I see a reason to subscribe now though. Get so much good content online for free....

Last Magazine I subscribed to was in 2001/2 when I had a PS2 with PSM magazine. It was alright.... PC Gamer was way better. However it seems the keyword is was....

;)

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
I used to around 2000. I remember Coconut Monkey on the demo discs.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I used to around 2000. I remember Coconut Monkey on the demo discs.

That sweet sweet CD full of game demos. 700mb of content was near impossible to gather through the internet speed of that era.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I even like the game and peripheral ads in mags. Internet game news isn't the same, often you have to search for specifics and hop around to different sites to gather much content and it's not laid out the same where in mags your introduced to many other games page after page.
Sites like IGN have a lot of dumb crap like this title "Person of Interest's Sarah Shahi & Amy Acker on What's Next " which is a video forcing me to put on my HP's if I want to view it, which most of the time I don't. wtf.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
It would have to publish every other day just to stay relevant. esp. during launch times. :sneaky:

That's a big part of the problem. Especially for any sort of gaming mag because there's not a lot of articles that have any real durability. I think it was sites like GameFAQs that really killed them. The game guides were a huge selling point for magazines. Now they were available for free online. Reviews to a lesser extent.

Last time I bought a gaming mag was back in 1998. I know because I still have it. 300 page fat copy of EGM with Rogue Squadron on the cover. Interesting write up on how they made the game. Poor Factor 5, those Star Wars games were just so awesome. Then you had to go and make Lair.

Never really read PC Gamer though. Website is a different story.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I stopped buying it once I got a broadband connection, and didn't need the demo discs anymore.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Computer Gaming World was great . . . last century.

I gave up on print magazines many years ago. Too dated, and too many previews that hype a version of the game that does not match the release.

Computer Gaming World and it's re-brand/successor Games for Windows: The Official Magazine was my favorite PC gaming mag.
Ziff also published The Official US Playstation Magazine (OPM), and that was equally as good.