Do AM3 mobos accept DDR2 Ram?

Dec 30, 2004
I've got a coworker that might be giving me an e8400 this summer. Later I was planning on upgrading to a quad. However, if I can OC the e8400 to 4Ghz I might just be good for a while-- and then when I finally upgrade I could get an AM3 board / Phenom 2 940 Fry's combo and OC that. If I can carry my ram over, that makes a lot more sense than upgrading to a Penryn quad and having to replace this mobo eventually because the vdroop gets worse (something I've heard the IP-35Pro/E's do with quads. By the way, is that a resistor problem or a mobo CPU power supply problem? I have no problem soldering on the board to keep it going.)

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
If you're going to wait for a AM3 board, why not pick up a Phenom II X4 945 instead? It's AM3 and has dual memory controllers for DDR2 and DDR3.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: PCTC2
If you're going to wait for a AM3 board, why not pick up a Phenom II X4 945 instead? It's AM3 and has dual memory controllers for DDR2 and DDR3.

Sure why not? This is what I was hoping.

I think AMD will be in a very good position-- DDR2 is CHEAP and I bet I'm not the only one that will have 8GB come Windows 7.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: soccerballtux

I think AMD will be in a very good position

AMD has solid product offerings, their GPUs, their chipsets, and now that the Phenom 2 has been released, a decent CPU as well. However, consumers aren't spending money right now, so AMD's still going to bleed cash. Even Intel saw their sales drop by double digit percent.

I've been debating whether or not to pick up two Radeon 4350s and possibly two A64 X2 5600s for my test beds. It be a nice little boost from their current X2 3800/4000 and Nvidia 6150SE IGPs.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: SunnyD
No, the AM3 boards will not take DDR2.

Do you have a source? Pinout on DDR2=DDR3 pinout.
Phenom2 AM3 has controllers for both DDR2 and DDR3.

Text

Other than the fact there's a relatively large voltage difference, it just won't fit.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008

Text

Other than the fact there's a relatively large voltage difference, it just won't fit.

Will you be able to buy both AM3 DDR2 and DDR3 MBs?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: daw123

Text

That's what AM2+ is for.

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008

Text

That's what AM2+ is for.

Well there will be special AM3 Mb's...Example Jetway MA3-79GDG "Similar thing that went down when DDR to DDR2 switch was made" Also you have to buy a AM3 CPU not AM2+.

But as said there is no native support in all Mb's !!

Dravic

May 18, 2000

Text

That's what AM2+ is for.

The Jetway MA3-79GDG COMBO will have both ddr2 and ddr3 slots but will only use ddr2 with an am2+ cpu and ddr3 with an AM3 CPU's

The Asus M4A78 and M4A79 were being called Asus's first AM3 motherboards but only supported DDR2. The more info that comes out on them shows them to be 790fx/780g chipsets. newegg list the M4A79 deluxe as a AM2+ motherboard.. I think Asus was playing with marketing for their new deluxe board that will also support AM3 cpus. On their website they claim it is "optimized for AM3"....

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Dravic
The Jetway MA3-79GDG COMBO will have both ddr2 and ddr3 slots but will only use ddr2 with an am2+ cpu and ddr3 with an AM3 CPU's

True - there's always going to be that one "bastardized" board. But odds are you'll be stuck with only 2 DIMM sockets of each type, limiting your memory footprint, and the board itself will only take an AM3 CPU (Socket AM3 and Socket AM2+ have different key pinouts).

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i don tthink a manufacturer would build a board that only supported ddr2 with an am3 socket.

since the am3 socket is just an am2+ socket with 2 pins missing, if you are building a board with ddr2 memory only, you'd want it to also support am2/am2+ since they are all hypertransport 3.

so the only reason really to have a board with an am3 938 socket, with ddr2 slots if it was a combo one like that jetway board.