DNF does NOT suck that bad...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I just have FUN with gaming guys...

Some of you act like the very balance of LIFE hangs in these games...

I THOUGHT I was jaded before reading the PC GAMING threads...

I'm rather optimistic compared to most...

They are games...

And who gives a &^% if I start a thread on DNF, do threads cost any money? Do you pay a nickel every time you read one? Are you incapable of not participating in the thread if you don't like the title?

seriously...don't bring logic into an anandtech forum...

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Well, I'll give a disclaimer. I have not played DN3D, nor have I even played DN3D. I probably wouldn't enjoy the raunchiness, uber-manliness, and toilet humor it's filled with. I'm just debunking the notion that critics went in with the wrong expectations.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Why? Discussing the same topic in one thread guarantees all the information about said topic will be in a single place for the readers to digest. It's a simple case of organization.

or if the thread goes to 100000000000 pages, no one can find what they are looking for.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've never seen people get so defensive about this game. Ever.

It's like your family was ripping apart a girl you brought home.

You've obviously never read any posts about SWG [on other message boards]. :D

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
It's also worth mentioning that Gearbox encouraged high expectations with their pretty dang awesome trailers. They led people on to think that this was going to be a AAA level title on par with the experiences offered in other top-tier shooters. It isn't. If anyone is to blame for high expectations, it's Gearbox.

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ...

buy into hype.

Any mature, reasonable gamer knows this and lives by (buys buy?) this creed.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
or if the thread goes to 100000000000 pages, no one can find what they are looking for.

The search function exists for a reason. You can even search for a string of text in a specific thread. His argument stands.

We could just ask for a thread merge...

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
only regret I have about buying this is the damned poker chips it came with. The uber deluxe box set has a bunch of extras, I wasn't expecting even 100 chips, but a single 25 stack would have been really nice. It came with a whopping 2 chips, 2 really??? Now if I wanna host a DNF poker game I'd have to buy like 100 copies of the uber box set

UGH!

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I haven't played it so my opinion about whether the game is good or not is completely irrelevant. My opinion only applies to things I've seen, like the promotional videos that do not accurately represent the game (and never do).

Fixed that for you.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I just finished it last night. Is the game spectacular? No, but I found it to be pretty enjoyable. Loved Duke3d as a kid.

Will say I've downloaded a lot of games in the past and have uninstalled them within 30 minutes or never completed them. DNF was at least fun enough for me to finish.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
played the demo, it sucked. for a game in development for 10 years this is a really really sad attempt at making a game. Might buy it when it hits $5 or less.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
played the demo, it sucked. for a game in development for 10 years this is a really really sad attempt at making a game. Might buy it when it hits $5 or less.

You realize the intellectual property had enough content to make a dozen different games, right? Do you know the story behind why it took so long? For what it is after what's-their-faces bought it and put their foot down about it, it's just fine.

monkeh624

Sep 7, 2008
I enjoyed it. It's a solid run-and-gun adventure IMO. Although you can tell it is a game that should have been released a few years back.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Gearbox can do for the next Duke episode.

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
Any time I see fanboys complaining that expectations were too high, that's when I know a game is garbage.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I can't wait for the day when I see guys here saying, "(insert game name) totally ROCKS!"

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I just finished it last night. Is the game spectacular? No, but I found it to be pretty enjoyable. Loved Duke3d as a kid.

Will say I've downloaded a lot of games in the past and have uninstalled them within 30 minutes or never completed them. DNF was at least fun enough for me to finish.

Ditto. Beat it, peed in the mouth, game over.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I can't wait for the day when I see guys here saying, "(insert game name) totally ROCKS!"
I could list hundreds, just not recent ones, so the opportunity never really arises.

If your still waiting for the day though, Baldur's Gate totally ROCKS! :)

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I could list hundreds, just not recent ones, so the opportunity never really arises.

If your still waiting for the day though, Baldur's Gate totally ROCKS! :)

So there is not even ONE game that has come out, say in the last 12 months, that you have enjoyed?

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
So there is not even ONE game that has come out, say in the last 12 months, that you have enjoyed?
Considering you'd rather not hear the negativity, I'll just say the Witcher 2 looks pretty good, but I haven't played it yet.