Dnc platform waffles on jerusalem as israel's capital

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Are you really surprised by this, the democrats answer to radical islamists who want to kill Jews.

its very clear to me that many "progressives" absolutely hate Israel and have an even greater burning hatred of Jews. Up till a few years ago, I always associated hatred of Jews and Israel with only extreme right wing ideology. Well the fringe far left and right now have something in common. Jew hatred has become very trendy in progressive circles. Escpecially academia circles.

Before anyone spews me the usual "Criticism against Isreal doesn't automatically = anti-semitism" you're already preaching to the choir. As I personally have some issues with a few Israeli policies despite being unabashedly pro-Israel.

Last edited:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Earth to this forum, it has always been the policy of the US State department, the internation community, the UN, that the State of Israel itself cannot own all of Jerusalem or claim Jerusalem as as its capital. Its been the unbroken US policy since the time of President Truman as simply not viable. Because such a policy would alienate all our allies and deeply offend nearly everyone on earth.

But still credit where credit is due, Netanyuhu has played hard to get and is happier than a pig in mud to engage in a bidding war between Obama and Romney.

But still regardless if Obama or Romney wins, Its still totally US unvaiableto allow Israel to annex East Jerusalem. And at least Obama is honest enough to say that pandering bidding war is will not become part of the DNC party plank.

Nor will Romney, if elected, be able to sell that Jerasalem is the capital of Israel craola either, as we can't trust the incredible Romney plastic man in any way.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
its very clear to me that many "progressives" absolutely hate Israel and have an even greater burning hatred of Jews. Up till a few years ago, I always associated hatred of Jews and Israel with only extreme right wing ideology. Well the fringe far left and right now have something in common. Jew hatred has suddenly become very trendy in progressive circles. Escpecially academia circles.

Before anyone spews me the usual "Criticism against Isreal doesn't automatically = anti-semitism" you're already preaching to the choir. As I personally have some issues with a few Israeli policies.
I've noted that too.

Earth to this forum, it has always been the policy of the US State department, the internation community, the UN, that the State of Israel itself cannot own all of Jerusalem or claim Jerusalem as as its capital. Its been the unbroken US policy since the time of President Truman as simply not viable. Because such a policy would alienate all our allies and deeply offend nearly everyone on earth.

But still credit where credit is due, Netanyuhu has played hard to get and is happier than a pig in mud to engage in a bidding war between Obama and Romney.

But still regardless if Obama or Romney wins, Its still totally US unvaiableto allow Israel to annex East Jerusalem. And at least Obama is honest enough to say that pandering bidding war is will not become part of the DNC party plank.

Nor will Romney, if elected, be able to sell that Jerasalem is the capital of Israel craola either, as we can't trust the incredible Romney plastic man in any way.
Since at least Reagan, both parties have had a platform plank that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. Seems a bit odd to me since we have little say over Israel's preferred capital, but there it is. The Dems' abortive attempt to drop it was the first in my voting lifetime. Also, the USA has squat to say about "allowing" Israel to annex East Jerusalem; that's a done deal, when Jordan attacked Israel in 1967. Personally I hope Israel holds it eternally.

Today's hot tip: Don't want to lose your stuff, don't gang up to attack someone who can kick all your asses.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
its very clear to me that many "progressives" absolutely hate Israel and have an even greater burning hatred of Jews. Up till a few years ago, I always associated hatred of Jews and Israel with only extreme right wing ideology. Well the fringe far left and right now have something in common. Jew hatred has become very trendy in progressive circles. Escpecially academia circles.

Before anyone spews me the usual "Criticism against Isreal doesn't automatically = anti-semitism" you're already preaching to the choir. As I personally have some issues with a few Israeli policies despite being unabashedly pro-Israel.

An interesting selection of readings on this topic can be found here -

Left-Wing Antisemitism

The fringes are always ready to hate and sometimes they choose the same targets.

I see no real differences even in policies and platforms between the extreme right and the extreme left. They both are authoritarian and both see autocratic government as an ideal.

Utopia is when they are in charge of controlling everyone's thoughts and actions. For their own good, of course.

Then they find their ideas sufficient reason to kill millions.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Sounds exactly like the Palestinians.

Support them; shower them with $$; why should they have to answer for their actions?

they had 30- years to get a state while the land was under Arab control.
They refused hoping for the whole package;
They gambled, lost and want to be rewarded.

Let the Dem platform act neutral; when push comes to shove; everyone knows what will be the end result.

Blah blah blah, the other guy, blah blah blah blah, the other guy, blah blah blah....

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
An interesting selection of readings on this topic can be found here -

Left-Wing Antisemitism

The fringes are always ready to hate and sometimes they choose the same targets.

I see no real differences even in policies and platforms between the extreme right and the extreme left. They both are authoritarian and both see autocratic government as an ideal.

Utopia is when they are in charge of controlling everyone's thoughts and actions. For their own good, of course.

Then they find their ideas sufficient reason to kill millions.

You have a few issues with Israel? Fuck you, Nazi?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Exactly, that was some impressive self-ownage. From Israel we get one of our better allies plus a LOT of tech - the Pentium Pro and its successor the Core 2, for example, along with a buttload of military technical assistance. From Palestine we get suicide bombers and a place to send our dumbest actors when they want to look less shallow.

You aren't thinking.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Exactly, that was some impressive self-ownage. From Israel we get one of our better allies plus a LOT of tech - the Pentium Pro and its successor the Core 2, for example, along with a buttload of military technical assistance. From Palestine we get suicide bombers and a place to send our dumbest actors when they want to look less shallow.

Before we go too far down the road of vigorously defending our support of Israel and claiming it's the greatest country in the world, is it possible Republicans are reading WAY too much into this? What the Democrats said with their platform does not seem even remotely close to what Republicans seem to think they said. Removing some words (that were later restored, as far as I know) saying Jerusalem is the capital of Israel hardly sounds like "Democrats will not support Israel". The changes about Hamas seem more like rephrasing than anything else since the Dems would still require ANYONE we dealt with on the other side of the issue to renounce violence. Either some Republicans are touchier than a teenage girl on Facebook or they're just looking for a reason to complain about the Democrats.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Nice slime attack.

If we were actually preaching to the choir, you wouldn't have spewed that slime.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
This is complete misinformation of the worst sort.

Isreal is a strong ally of the USA. That isn't going to change no matter who wins the election and all this fear mongering and postering over Isreal is absurd.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Why exactly should America unquestioningly and always support what Israel wants?
We don`t!! You are generalizing for the sake of sensationalism!

We owe them nothing, we've done everything for them for decades, and they refuse to get their own house in order by acting like human beings and allow self-determination, a principle America used to champion.

We have done everything for them???? How so......
You mean we support our ally in the middle east?

The only practical reason is that there is an important Floridian Jewish voter base that cares, but that's hardly a good reason to let Israel draw us into yet another Middle East / World War. -- you know little to nothing about Israel....so pipe down and start reading!!
:)

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Why does the US need to 'support' Israel again?

From what I gather it's because they are the only democracy in the region and non Arab state. It dates back quite a few decades.

Given my political philosophy we should not support them anymore or anyone else for that matter.

They have pound for pound the greatest military in the world.

They have nuclear arms

They have one of the best economies in the world given their size.

They could crush everyone of their neighbors within a month or two. They have only grown in capabilities since the late 60's.

Fun fact, their infantry do not go down streets in heavy gunfire. They literally go from building to building blowing holes in the walls.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
It would be difficult for me to care less about Israel. Or using the word "god."

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Blah blah blah, the other guy, blah blah blah blah, the other guy, blah blah blah....
You did not like having the mirror held up?

And I thought you were reasonable underneath that facade.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
From what I gather it's because they are the only democracy in the region and non Arab state. It dates back quite a few decades.

Given my political philosophy we should not support them anymore or anyone else for that matter.

They have pound for pound the greatest military in the world.

They have nuclear arms

They have one of the best economies in the world given their size.

They could crush everyone of their neighbors within a month or two. They have only grown in capabilities since the late 60's.

This. My main issue with US policy toward Israel is "how is this in our national interest?"

Israel isn't going to be wiped out anymore. They subsidize a huge number of bums on welfare, so they can certainly do without the $3 billion in US aid per year. As for what a great ally they've been, the US/Israel relationship has been almost entirely one sided. We help them out, they spy on us and use us to their advantage. I don't really blame them for that (I expect Israel's government to act in their country's national interest and not give a shit about what's best for the US) but I wish our leaders acted the same way.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I have no use for Israel or Palestine or their stupid conflict, nor do I see anything in it for the US to involve ourselves further there.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
Logic fail.

standing up to religion != radical extremest.

Some of us believe in separation of church and state dude.

Nothing wrong with separation of Church and State, its a good thing but why is there so much hate for God and Jerusalem which is clearly evident at the dnc

Did you see the two arab Americans at the end having the nerve to boo God and Jerusalem

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Nothing wrong with separation of Church and State, its a good thing but why is there so much hate for God and Jerusalem which is clearly evident at the dnc

Did you see the two arab Americans at the end having the nerve to boo God and Jerusalem

Extremely judgmental there!!! What makes you say that guy and woman were arab!!! Racist!!!

I personally would vote for Jerusalem yet deny god, as I personally believe a definitive reference to specific religious principles do not belong in government.

I accept religion in society as long as it isn't defined to exclude those with other/non beliefs.

Apr 27, 2012
Extremely judgmental there!!! What makes you say that guy and woman were arab!!! Racist!!!

Um IDK maybe the shirt that said arab American democrat?

I personally would vote for Jerusalem yet deny god, as I personally believe a definitive reference to specific religious principles do not belong in government.

Why deny God?

I accept religion in society as long as it isn't defined to exclude those with other/non beliefs.

Nothing wrong with that.