DNC deep in debt

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The Democratic National Committee had more debt than cash on hand when the general election started in September, a troubling fact few people have noticed to this point in the campaign.

We already knew that the Republican National Committee had more than 10 times as much cash as the DNC while the party’s were holding their conventions, but a closer look at the DNC’s August report shows it also took out $8 million in loans during that month — which means it had more debt ($11.8 million) than cash on hand ($7.1 million).

This year, though, appears to be the first time the committee has carried more debt than cash heading into the final two-plus months of the campaign.

The question from here is whether that represents a problem for Democrats and whether the DNC is going to have to continue to take out loans to stay above water. So far the committee has taken out $8 million of a $15 million line of credit, meaning it can take out more, but only to an extent (unless it secures more credit).
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...faces-cash-shortfall-on-eve-of-2012-election/

Uh oh...Obama is going to have to bail them out from his own election fund.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You are confusing Obama's money with the DNC's money. They are not the same thing. From the article I linked but you did not read:

Obama did raise a very strong $181 million in September for his campaign and for the DNC, but it’s unclear how much of that sum will go to the DNC and whether it will bring the DNC out of the red.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Luckily the DNC doesn't need a lot of cash, Democrats are the heavy favorite to hold a 4 seat advantage in the Senate.

That advantage may grow, depending on how many GOP Senate candidates open their mouths about rape and abortion. Akin already tanked his Senate hopes by doing so.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Luckily the DNC doesn't need a lot of cash, Democrats are the heavy favorite to hold a 4 seat advantage in the Senate.

That advantage may grow, depending on how many GOP Senate candidates open their mouths about rape and abortion. Akin already tanked his Senate hopes by doing so.
God are you a hack.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
God are you a hack.
August 18th, Akin was +5 in the MO Senate race.

August 19th, Akin makes his "legitimate rape" comment.

August 22nd, after three days of media coverage, the race flips 180 degrees, McCaskill is now +5 and has held that lead ever since.

The DNC doesn't need ad money, it just needs a debate moderator or interviewer to bring up abortion in the case of rape/incest/life of the mother.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Obama may or may not win the battle (the election), but he'll lose the war (the presidency). Obama is not a natural born sword. I need to die before I can become the sword or even the next Emperor Nero. I ain't going to be the next George Washington or the next FDR either, even though my body and perhaps my soul is just like theirs. I can't become the next Theodore Roosevelt because I wasn't born of a true catty woman. I won't become a sword or an executive in any way. Power would corrupt me and scare the good girls too much even more if I got anymore of it.

All of that said, Julius Caesar tried to mold the hell out of the world, but even he wasn't moldy enough to help microbacterium like myself. I don't want to become a macrobacteria and I was never meant to be a fungus.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Why give to the DNC or RNC when you can give nearly unlimited money without restriction to various PACs? This is more a casualty of Citizens' United. The party committees can't realistically keep up in that environment if they expect to compete with them.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Obama may or may not win the battle (the election), but he'll lose the war (the presidency). Obama is not a natural born sword. I need to die before I can become the sword or even the next Emperor Nero. I ain't going to be the next George Washington or the next FDR either, even though my body and perhaps my soul is just like theirs. I can't become the next Theodore Roosevelt because I wasn't born of a true catty woman. I won't become a sword or an executive in any way. Power would corrupt me and scare the good girls too much even more if I got anymore of it.

All of that said, Julius Caesar tried to mold the hell out of the world, but even he wasn't moldy enough to help microbacterium like myself. I don't want to become a macrobacteria and I was never meant to be a fungus.

I.... what?

This is single handedly the weirdest most confusing post I have ever read on here.

D-Man

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 1999
DNC deep in debt

These are the people that want to balance our budget?

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why give to the DNC or RNC when you can give nearly unlimited money without restriction to various PACs? This is more a casualty of Citizens' United. The party committees can't realistically keep up in that environment if they expect to compete with them.

If the party committees can't realistically keep up, how come the RNC is doing just fine? Seems to me that the DNC has a problem with spending more than they bring in, which is not at all surprising.

Obviously in the current environment superpac's is where the real money is, but it is kind of ironic that the DNC is unable to keep their spending in line with what they bring in.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Both sides take out loans when the need the extra cash. Romney has taken out loans during the campaign as well.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"Voters in Columbus, Ohio, saw 30-second television ads for both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney while watching “Wheel of Fortune” on their CBS affiliate over three days in September.

For Obama’s team, the order per spot cost $500.

For Romney’s, the price tag on the order was more than five times steeper at $2,800 per ad."
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82217.html

"Plus, the Obama forces seem to be getting more bang for their advertising buck. That’s both because the Romney campaign’s unusual media-buying strategy has not reserved air time as far in advance as Obama’s, and campaigns get better advertising deals than party committees and outside groups through so-called lowest-unit rates.

Between Oct. 4 and Oct. 11, Romney, the RNC and GOP-allied outside groups outspent Obama and his allies on TV ads $31.6 million to $28.1 million, but Democrats aired about 5,000 more ads, according to data from Kantar Media’s CMAG ad tracking service reported by ABC News."
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82671.html

Last edited:

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
If the party committees can't realistically keep up, how come the RNC is doing just fine? Seems to me that the DNC has a problem with spending more than they bring in, which is not at all surprising.

Obviously in the current environment superpac's is where the real money is, but it is kind of ironic that the DNC is unable to keep their spending in line with what they bring in.

Ironic? Yes. However, the writing is still on the wall. The RNC will face the same problem sooner rather than later.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

how many shrooms have you eaten?