chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
anyone here a deejay? well yo yo yo, i have a question or two, has anyone used the stanton str8-80's???
i have the 60's i want to know what is the difference etc. email me at dkbavaria@aol.com

djk

Aug 22, 2000
if you want to be a DJ, dont use any other turntable other than the technics MK-1200. Its a direct drive motor.. if you get a belt driven turntable, you'll never be able to match beats.. the beats will fall in place for a second, and it will change a few seconds later.. direct drive motor assures that once you put your pitch shift on a certain +/-, it will stay constant. I DJ, and I use the technics mk-1200.. not to mention, if you practice on any other turntable, and you are hired to do a party, its more than likely they're going to be using mk-1200s and you wont be able to perform well, because you're so used to using your turntables.. all turntables have difference in their control pitch control. I hope this helps.. not to mention, the platter is extremely stiff, that way when you pull the record back for cuing, it will not skip.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
djk,

I agree. Use only the 1200's or the 1210's(<-- 1200 with switchable voltage)They perform better and last longer than anything out there.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Used to. Should get back into it and replesh the skills I had, or the lack of skillz to spin the wheels of steel.

Im out

I used to way back in the day (dwell == old school). Too bad I sold all my 12&quot; singles to a bunch of Mexicans at the gas station for like $1 a pop. I had just about every NY hip-hop single from 1986 - 1988.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<< Too bad I sold all my 12&quot; singles to a bunch of Mexicans at the gas station for like $1 a pop >>

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is this gas station?

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
lol, hmm i guess my bro has been playin on the forums with my account.....heh (dj post)
yeah he got the stantons, their torque is matched of the 1200's, we're satisfied! Also, Stanton is Vestex quality, they are made from the same parts According to a record store we went to.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
The torque might be matched but they are nowhere near the quality. I had a record store tell me the same thing but if you pull the platters off you will see the difference.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
It's been a long time since I DJ'd for parties. Instead, I went on to do work as a radio DJ. My great vinyl collection is long gone. I used to use the quartz-locked direct drive JVC manual QL-7. It was easily the equal of the best Technics turntables way back then.

Definitely do NOT used a belt-driven turntable. They are fine for some audiophile applications (Thorens) but won't stand up to daily work.

Stanton makes some rugged cartridges. It is very important to use the CONICAL not the eliptical diamonds if you scratch. Grado makes a really cheap servicable one.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
heh, these stantons kick ass, and they go along with our stanton mixer.
the quality is up there with vestex almost. I think they are pretty good for the preice of 230. Id rather have these then go 500 bucks each for technics

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<< Id rather have these then go 500 bucks each for technics >>

Never used Technics before have you?

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I still have about a bunch of 12&quot; 45rpm disco singles from my djing days in the late seventies.

Here are my turntables: Technics SL-1300 &amp; SL-2000, Sony PS-LS-22, Dual CS-530, Hitachi HT-202.

BTW, none is for sale. ;)

I Love The Nightlife (Alicia Bridges)

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I don't give records...but I did give Ultravoxx a Kenwood turntable. ;) I'm moving in about a month and I have started packing my ~4000 LPs. Thank God, the moving company is charging me by the hour, not by weight. That should be at least a ton of vinyl. LOL

One hint guys: I have seen a working Technics 1200 at the Salvation army and they were asking $15 Canadian for it. You might want to check the Salvation Army Thrift store near you.

Good Connection (5 x 5)

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
hmmmm, what condition wat that table in though? bent arm? sluggish drive? messed up pitch control mechanism?

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
It appeared in excellent condition. Even the Ortofon stylus looked ok. I have a friend who goes dumpster combing on garbage day and he often finds perfectly fine turntables. People just throw them away with their LPs and just use CDs. He also finds receivers and even computers (e.g. a perfectly fine P133 a few months ago).

I'm Not Kidding You (The El Domingoes)

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
WTF????

dennil, if your serious, i am willing to get in contact with your garbage friend just to get some records, maybe even spare computer parts.

i cant believe the table was in EXCELLENT condition!!! why didnt you grab it? what type of ortofon was it?

dennilfloss

Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
The table was in excellent condition. The cartridge was an Ortofon VMS20E (MkII if I remember well). My friend gives ME all the records he finds. ;) Once I've moved and sorted my collection, in a few months, ask me again. I may have spare LPs to give (but my ex-wife gets first picks, Ultravoxx second). I think I now have like 5 copies of ABBA's Greatest Hits and stuff like that. As for PC parts, my friend has an arrangement with the mom 7 pop computer shop on the other side of the street. He gets money for his computer parts.

You should also ask your local Salvation Army Thrift Store, when their inventory from donations gets to large, they have LP sales. Here in Ottawa, I have paid, for example, 25cents for ELO's Greatest Hits still unopened. :)

Knowing Me, Knowing You (ABBA)