DIY wood car ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Most of the work I do on my car (plugs, belts, ATF, etc) doesn't require jacking the car up, but oil changes do require jacking the car due to the rearward location of the oil filter. I've looked into jacks/stands, but I personally felt like ramps would be a safer option. However, I wasn't really too pleased with the construction of the plastic Rhino Ramps, so I thought about building some of my own with 2x10 (1.5 inch x 9.5 inch) lumber. 10-foot pieces of 2x10 go for about $10, so it seems like a strong yet cost effective option than something like Race Ramps.

Something like this, but a bit shorter (maybe 8 inch gaps in between levels instead of 12, with the top level being 18" instead of 24").

mwramps18.JPG

Has anyone on ATG built their own ramps before? If so, how did they work out?

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
I wouldn't trust wood to hold up something as heavy as a car.

I was under the impression that wood ramps were significantly stronger than the plastic rhino ramps, especially when the pieces of wood are laid directly on top of each other with no gaps. Is that not the case?

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
um...................

just ignore jules

I have 2 tiered ones made from 2x6's I use for my 5000 lb truck.

wood isn't going to crush when used as OP posted.

Thanks. Will any type of wood work, or are certain species better? Seems like the Home Depot near me only has Pine and Douglas Fir in 2x10.

Also, would pressure-treated lumber be better for this job?

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
pine is fine. it does crush, but it require a pretyy good point load.

I put my xterra on mine all the time, with zero issues.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Nah, any dimensional lumber is fine. My dad has used similar ramps for decades. The only downside is the weight.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
that works well. PT is not needed unless you plan on leaving them on the dirt in the weather.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Jules, do you know anything about woods and their structural strength? I'm not talking about your wood and its strength ;).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Jules, do you know anything about woods and their structural strength? I'm not talking about your wood and its strength ;).

It's true, I'm building a fish tank out of wood right now (not the stand, the tank itself). :hmm:

In all fairness, I can't see the image the OP posted, I think my work blocks certain sites. Some of the google image searches I did showed some extremely robust designs.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
It's true, I'm building a fish tank out of wood right now (not the stand, the tank itself). :hmm:

In all fairness, I can't see the image the OP posted, I think my work blocks certain sites. Some of the google image searches I did showed some extremely robust designs.

Image looks like 2x8s stacked up.
top is a 6" (acts like a lip when rolling forward)
then a 4 ft length
then a 6 ft length
then a 9 ft length

** (tire)

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
Looks solid, but heavy and bulky.

Unless it winds up significantly lighter and/or smaller than a decent aluminum jack and some jackstands I guess that I don't really see the point from a practicality stance.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Many cars don't clear those old metal ramps. At my garage, only the Pilot and the diesel trucks would, and the trucks would flatten those easily.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Not sure what the problem is with plastic. They're rated for 12,000lbs (the $40 ones), so you're definitely not going to have a problem with any car.

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
Many cars don't clear those old metal ramps. At my garage, only the Pilot and the diesel trucks would, and the trucks would flatten those easily.

I had mine for 20 years with no problem but after your post I am not sure I want to crawl underneath a car again with my ramp. I had no idea they flatten but I don't have a truck either. I rather err on the side of caution.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The diesel trucks are over 4000 on the front axle. I would not trust a sheet metal ramp for one.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
You won't have any issues with safety with wood ramps like those (if you use common sense). Wood is plenty strong in that application. I've used small pieces of 2x10 stacked to get a lowered car onto rhino ramps.

With that being said, rhino / race ramps are SOOOO much more convenient. They weight next to nothing and are easy to store (you could easily hang them on your walls). That being said, a good jack and jack stands is still IMHO the most versatile method and something that everyone who works on cars should have. I'd pick either of those two over storing 100 lbs of wood.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Not sure what the problem is with plastic. They're rated for 12,000lbs (the $40 ones), so you're definitely not going to have a problem with any car.

12,000 lbs is the GVWR. So the weight rating is somewhat deceptive on the Rhino Ramps.

Plus I've seen enough of these pictures online to be uncomfortable with Rhino ramps. Sure, the owners may have been a little negligent in using Rhino ramps on gravel, but the same failure would be unlikely to happen with wood ramps.

61e6yaMx-1L.jpg

As for Race Ramps, they do seem to be built considerably better than Rhino Ramps but also cost about 10 times as much as what these DIY wood ramps would cost (depending on the model of Race Ramps).

You won't have any issues with safety with wood ramps like those (if you use common sense). Wood is plenty strong in that application. I've used small pieces of 2x10 stacked to get a lowered car onto rhino ramps.

With that being said, rhino / race ramps are SOOOO much more convenient. They weight next to nothing and are easy to store (you could easily hang them on your walls). That being said, a good jack and jack stands is still IMHO the most versatile method and something that everyone who works on cars should have. I'd pick either of those two over storing 100 lbs of wood.

I calculated that the wood ramps would weigh around 25-30 lbs each. Somewhat heavy, but not quite 100 lbs. As for a jack and stands, I do plan to get a nice jack eventually for doing suspension or brake work. The things I DIY right now don't require lifting the car with the wheels off, so a ramp seems more convenient since you can drive the car on, drain the oil, add the appropriate amount of oil, start the car, and drive off.

Last edited:

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Found some more pictures. Looks like it even some owners of exotics build their own ramps, though I'm not sure that Porsche GT3's ramp is of the best design (no flat part at the top).

Ramp02.jpg

2rm35ud.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.