DIY HTPC vs Apple TV

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I am pulling components together for my home theater and I'd like a device that will allow me to pull video and audio files from my server down to the TV.

I am at the point of choosing between a machine I build myself or just buying a refurbished Apple TV.

I think a list of needs and facts is the best approach, so:

1. I have a wired network port behind the TV, so connectivity is no issue.
2. I don't want to use my Xbox360 because it makes too much noise, especially for music.
3. If I go with the Apple TV I'd hack it to run Boxee and/or XBMC.
4. I don't plan to watch much of HD content so I don't need lots of horsepower.
5. I don't want to spend over $200.
6. It has to look good since it will be in the living room.
7. I'd like something very quiet (preferably passive cooling).

Option 5, 6, and 7 are what really bring me to the Apple TV as seeming like the better option. The refurb ones are fairly cheap ($150 for 40GB and $190 for 160GB). It also looks good and runs quiet. I have seen some nice looking mITX HTPC cases (love the ones from A-Tech fabrication), but the nice cases cost more than the entire Apple TV.

I know I am a bit limited in terms of expandability on the Apple TV, but 75% or more of my use will be for music, and all my media is stored on my server, so having tons of storage on the device itself isn't really a concern.

All of this makes me think the Apple TV is the best option, but I'd love to get another perspective. Perhaps I am overlooking something.

Thanks.