Dixie Chicks, country music stations and politics

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 16, 2000
Yuppers. I never listened to them until they made their comments. Then I bought their albums and became an instant fan. I don't buy many cd's, but I picked up their new one on day one, just to show support.

DickFnTracy

Banned
Dec 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

.....I have a newfound respect for them standing their ground and not caving in to the fans, execs and, most of all, the almighty dollar.........

..... To make a statement and then to stand by it. By not checking to see which way the political winds were blowing and then run in that direction instead.......

Uhhhh.. IIRC, these were one's who apologized right after "taking their stand", their record sales tumbled and they got criticized etc.

Now, after Bush's ratings have fallen into the 20's, they decide to unapologize?

Seems to me they don't stand by their statements (remember the apology when things heated up?), and now looks like they're responding to the shift in political winds (Ok, now time to unapologize!).

if you're looking for C&W entertainers who fit your critera, look further, there are better examples.

You pretty much nailed it. You only have to look at where they made their comments to see that their so called convictions didn't really superscede their love for the almighty dollar. They carefully waited until out of the country to start running their mouths much like a former President did wrt the Vietnam War. They are certainly within their rights to do so but the manner in which they did it has an air of cowardice and hypocricy about it in my opinion.

I also think that the people that were PO'd by their comments have a right to effectively let them (the Chicks) know their displeasure by the only way corporations (make no mistake the Chicks are a corp.) can be effected and that's in the pocket book. Not buying the CD's, pressuring radio stations not to play them, boycotting concerts are all perfectly legit ways to do this. The death threats they received were way over the line, illegal and should be dealt with accordingly.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: XMan
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Dixie Chicks suck no matter what. I was hating them before it was cool.

That's it, to me. Johnny Cash, Neil Young, and others had politics that were out of the mainstream, but unlike the Dixie Chicks, Johnny and Neil are actually talented.

So strange, I always wondered what goes through a far-right types head when they listen to songs like man in black by Cash...or is it not a good song to you all? Weird. Cash is against everything you all are about in a lot of ways. :confused:

Oh well, I guess there still is hope that one day you all will listen to that stuff and the selfishness/self-centeredness dogma will snap and the lightbulb will come on, if anyone could, it would be Cash.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
Originally posted by: XMan
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Dixie Chicks suck no matter what. I was hating them before it was cool.

That's it, to me. Johnny Cash, Neil Young, and others had politics that were out of the mainstream, but unlike the Dixie Chicks, Johnny and Neil are actually talented.

So strange, I always wondered what goes through a far-right types head when they listen to songs like man in black by Cash...or is it not a good song to you all? Weird. Cash is against everything you all are about in a lot of ways. :confused:

Oh well, I guess there still is hope that one day you all will listen to that stuff and wake up.

Way to generalize. You don't even know me personally and you've got me figured out well enough from a few posts to stick me in a cubbyhole, eh?

Harv - I can't sink worth a lick, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize poppy trash when I hear it.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
It is not that hard to pigeonhole someone when they squak like a parrot, I see you post quite a few times and you are pretty out there, not someone I could see getting into Cashs' ideas. *shrug*

I am sure you would call him a commie or something if he was just starting his career nowdays. All this "right-wing" angry white man propaganda will stick for life on some, others will grow up or face hard times of their own like Cash sung about and snap out of it. To each his own.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
It is not that hard to pigeonhole someone when they squak like a parrot, I see you post quite a few times and you are pretty out there, not someone I could see getting into Cashs' ideas. *shrug*

I am sure you would call him a commie or something if he was just starting his career nowdays. All this "right-wing" angry white man propaganda will stick for life on some, others will grow up or face hard times of their own like Cash sung about and snap out of it. To each his own.

Cash was all about personal freedom. More Libertarian than Communist.

Slap

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Reba tried to rip on the Dixe Chicks last night during the CMA's. She said she should have no problems hosting the show if the Dixie Chicks can sing with their foot in thier mouth. Of course all the country music stars and fans stood cheering and laughing. I guess Reba didn't like the comment they made about not wanting their CD in someones changer with Reba's.

HBalzer

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: HBalzer
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Why the hell do we even pay any attention to the politics of an entertainer.

Their area of expertise of a muscian is supposed to be music---to your ear or my ear its supposed to sound good enough to listen to and from the musician's point a view good enough to buy.

But expertise in the field of music has nothing to do with the quality of their political opinion.. More likely, they are as clueless as the rest of us.

Same goes for actors.

Unfortunately, many of the politicians these days are actors, acting like they care when really they only care about themselves.

Same answer to you as to Lemon:

What? You mean we should be listening to you? Almost any entertainer has a better grasp of politics than Bush and a bum off the streets could do a better job running the country. This is American, man, and everybody gets a say. I say ignore people elitists who demand 'their kind of' credentials before somebody can speak. I will decide who I want to listen to, not you. Thanks, though, for voicing your own worthless opinion.

Studies show that ?Star Power? has an effect on people?s brains. Opera says its good book it soon becomes a best seller. With any power comes responsibility. A police officer should enforce the law not his opinions, a history teacher should teach history as it was not as they see it. While an actor is wearing their actor hat they should act and not preach politics.

Hehe, you really are an elitist, aren't you. The people must be protected from studies that show. Did it ever occur to you that studies show people are morons and that maybe you are one of them? You picked up this diseased notion of 'Star Power' has an effect of people's brains from people with 'star power' attempting to insure that a group of people with 'Star Power' who say things another group with 'star power' don't like and don't want you to hear so they deride people with 'Star Power' in the hopes it will convert you in your envy of people with 'Star Power' to listen to the people with 'star power', and thereby you prove that people with 'Star Bad Power' will listen to people with 'star good power'. In short, you are an unthinking tool of somebody with 'star power' in your eyes. Only your 'star power' group has any real merit and it is your job to save the deluded and convert them to your way of thinking by preventing them from hearing that really bad people with 'Star Power'. You are a terrorist, my friend, afraid of other people's ideas and that the battle field of ideas can never be won by truth. You must have control or the terror that haunts you will manifest all around you and the people with 'Star Power' will eat you for lunch.

Your shoulds and shouldn'ts are a light into your dark soul.

I think you should quickly take a look at yourself. Everything you just said made absolutely no sense.

How does me stating that scientific studies show that ?Star Power has an effect on people?s brains makes me an elitist?

1. you are a hypocrite
2. you are ignorant
3. you must feel the need to attack other people because you hate yourself and have no leg to stand on.

HBalzer

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2005
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Studies show that ?Star Power? has an effect on people?s brains. Opera says its good book it soon becomes a best seller. With any power comes responsibility. A police officer should enforce the law not his opinions, a history teacher should teach history as it was not as they see it. While an actor is wearing their actor hat they should act and not preach politics.
Yeah! Who TF are you to tell people when and how they can engage in political debate? Up yours, buddy. :p

I never said they couldn't or shouldn't engage in politcs, i said they should use their "Star Power" to sway people to personal opinions.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
So you guys like country music fans who hate Bush?

But other than that, you guys really hate country music and anyone associated with it?

Yep, that is just awesome.

Feb 16, 2005
I'd buy their CD on principle alone. Probably never listen to it. But it shows support, as far as I'm concerned, as long as they 'stay the course' :laugh: I'll be glad to support them.
I just prefer real country over this bubblegum stuff. Hank Williams, Cash, Nelson, Haggard, etc...

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Yeah! Who TF are you to tell people when and how they can engage in political debate? Up yours, buddy. :p

I never said they couldn't or shouldn't engage in politcs, i said they should use their "Star Power" to sway people to personal opinions.

I said "...HOW they can engage..." The rest of your statement makes absolutely no sense. "While an actor is wearing their actor hat..." Um, what? And then you claim they SHOULD use their star power to sway people: "...i said they should use their "Star Power" to sway people to personal opinions."

Dude, get your story straight. Are citizens of this country entitled to engage freely in political debate where/when/how they so desire or are they not?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: raildogg

But other than that, you guys really hate country music and anyone associated with it?

The above reply is:

[_] Irrelevant

[_] Petty

[_] Shallow

[X] All of the above.

:thumbsdown: :p :thumbsdown:

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

That's not fair, LL. My expertise is in desktop support. Does that fact mean that I shouldn't express any political views?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: raildogg

The above reply is:

[_] Irrelevant

[_] Petty

[_] Shallow

[X] All of the above.

:thumbsdown: :p :thumbsdown:

The reply before this one is:

Accurate.

:thumbsup:

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Damn, I detest Country Music - why couldn't the Dixie Chicks have been strippers instead?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Their area of expertise of a muscian is supposed to be music---to your ear or my ear its supposed to sound good enough to listen to and from the musician's point a view good enough to buy.

But expertise in the field of music has nothing to do with the quality of their political opinion.. More likely, they are as clueless as the rest of us.

Exactly right. Picasso should have never painted Guernica, and should have just focused his work on dogs and those ugly chicks with the wierd eyes. Art is just supposed to look good an my wall and impress my freinds with my sense of good taste. I don't need no homo artist challenging my beliefs and provoking thought.