Divers, question about equalizing the ears.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I like to swim and snorkel in my school's diving well which is 18 feet deep. I always equalize my ears by pinching my nose and blowing into my ears.

As I go down to only 18 feet, I usually have to equalize 4-5 times, with about 3 times me blowing really hard to equalize. Is this normal? If I do anything less the pain just becomes unbearable.

There are times when it's really hard to equalize fully. My ears equalize, but I develop this pain that seems to originate from under my teeth, almost like down at the roots. I usually have to blow extra hard at this point to equalize this root area and get rid of the pain. I didn't use to have this before...

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
if you have any sinus swelling, it is MUCH harder. Allergies are a bitch on divers. One tip is to valsalva several times BEFORE even going in the water. It will help when you go down.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Mwilding
if you have any sinus swelling, it is MUCH harder. Allergies are a bitch on divers. One tip is to valsalva several times BEFORE even going in the water. It will help when you go down.

Yeah. With further reading it seems that blocked sinuses would definitely cause the tooth aches. I guess I should try taking a decongestant before diving.

Any idea on the first question? Is it normal to have to equalize so frequently during such a short descent?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I have to do it 2 or 3 times to that depth, but I don't get the tooth pressure ever. I've broken an eardrum in the past, that was a hard lesson.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Yes, somewhat normal to equalize frequently. Depends on you and your sinuses. Any colds or blockage can be VERY problematic.

I can snorkel down to maybe 45 feet and am equalizing constantly because I'm going down so fast.

On a dive, it's maybe once every 10 feet or more because it's not a fast descent.

If you are experiencing pain you probably aren't equalizing enough. Just pinch your nose and blow gently, often. DO NOT BLOW HARD!!!!!!!!!! If you have to there is a problem.

-edit-
re-read.
If you have to blow hard at 18 feet multiple times, you have blockage going on. Don't do that (go down with ANY sinus trouble whatsoever). BAD. Hurt stuff BAD.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: skyking
I have to do it 2 or 3 times to that depth, but I don't get the tooth pressure ever. I've broken an eardrum in the past, that was a hard lesson.

I think I've gotten close. When I was 10 I didn't know about the equalizing thing and when I dove down it got to the point where I heard something inside my head CRACK a few times. I almost passed out from the pain and dizziness and just barely made it to the surface. Needless to say, I was out of commission for the rest of the day. Didn't go to the hospital or anything, but boy did it end the day for me.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
You should never feel discomfort when equalizing. PADI recommends equalizing every meter, it depends on the person but you should do it as soon as you feel pressure. That pain you're feeling is your inner ear about to burst, and if you keep diving like you are it eventually will. Excruciating pain and months of recovery await!

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
i can do it by dropping my jaw a bit and my ears just pop. I do it all the time when changing depth and only had a problem once when I was congested a little.