Disturbing Article from the Sydney Morning Herald - Inside the Resistance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: etech
If Abbas is the entire and only source for the quote about Pres. Bush than I will not give it any credence. Of course you may do as you wish. The world doesn't need blind sheep but to each their own.

That's because you selectively discredit sources to carefully match your agenda. So tell us, you imply that Abbas has no credibility, why is that? Prove that he's not credible. Or are you only choosing to believe what reconciles with your view of the world?

Is Abbas the only source for that quote?

Would he have a reason or reasons to discredit the leader of the United States by a statement of that sort.

If the answer to both of those is yes, than there is enough reason to put the statement into question.

I know how some of you would like to turn this into another Bush bashing thread. If that is all this is going to be than please let me know now.

Kirk, thank you for that illuminating contribution to this discussion.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I wonder when we'll see the Baghdad Tea Party and Patricki Henryhalawi proclaim , "Give me liberty or give me death!"

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I wonder when we'll see the Baghdad Tea Party and Patricki Henryhalawi proclaim , "Give me liberty or give me death!"

Probably about the same time you see "Allah Akbur, kill the infidels."

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Tabb
The Christian God talks to Bush.

LOL! :p Bush really shot himself in the foot by saying that :(

Happy now, etech.

And besides what you call suspect is a good indication of the presence of some probable truth. You are like a compass that's been reverse magnetized.

Sorry I am not a good news source. Since you guys love proving us wrong all the time. How about you prove etech is wrong about bushing saying god talks to him? Or does it deviate from the topic too much?

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tabb

Sorry I am not a good news source. Since you guys love proving us wrong all the time. How about you prove etech is wrong about bushing saying god talks to him? Or does it deviate from the topic too much?

You don't eve trust your own words? Who is "us" that you refer to, are you and etech officially a couple now?

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
maybe you are overestimating the enemy. the military has been very careful of defining the resisitance, this doesn't only include saddam's lynchpin, but muslim fundamentalists external and internal. that's not a surprise, look at fallujah parts are from saddam, parts are from the mosques.

maybe we should've just taken over the north and south and left the center for someone else, i mean the center has no oil who cares? ;)

plus who's to say this guy is not propaganda as well?maybe he's working for saddam and cloaking his doings under a muslim flag? either way, it doesn't really matter.

if this was a widespread problem you would have so many more attacks. so far the majority of the population does not support these people. it might be getting worse or better, i don't know. but reports are it's 35/day compared to 40/day, whether that's an actual decrease or statiscal variation who knows.

if you look at raed's blog you'll find he's a little disenfrancised by the whole occupation, but i think he always has been. he's probably pretty close to most baghdad residents. they're pissed about the occupation, they don't trust americans, but they realize we're their only hope. so they grudingly accept it, but don't help out. they're riding the fence just waiting until it becomes clear. i think this passiveness is an even greater problem because it's these people that most be mobilized to help rebuilding, and if they chose to do nothing, then we fail. there are reports of more intelligence so perhaps more people are helping out, hopefully it's not for money. a lot of these people are being paid.

we're in a temporary phase where they've given us a chance, or have we given them a chance? then its either sh1t hits the fan or we're in the clear. maybe the temperature just needs to cool down.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
When our good friend Patricki Henryhalawi says that, we'll shoot him.
Our 'Liberation' has been a bit short on liberty, and heavy on the death thing.

As to "Prove It" Why try to prove anything to anyone ?
If I want to know about something one way or the other, I make it a point to study the topic,
and decide for myself the merits or discredits of such subject,
not to have someone try to force thier narrowminded view into my philosophy.

How would you prove the concept of God ?
Show me God, bring him here right now and show me - and don't go get
old George Burns or Morgan Freeman, I want a real God, like Reagan,
not some actor pretending to be God. O.K. maybe I'd accept Jim Carey for 90 minutes.

Anti-Christ ? Man's interpretation of a biblical myth. Bible translation over time has shifted
with the dynamics of the language and the invocation of philosophy of the scribe.
First writings of the Bible were transcripts of story passed Grandfather to Father to Son,
and on and on. If you believe in the Supreme Being, you can qualify the concept in your mind,
but I doubt that you can convince an atheist that God exists, even in a foxhole.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Zebo
Why disturbing? I would be doing the same if we were occupied by a foriegn power. Any true patriot would do the same. And get this I woould kill collaborators with the enemy too.

:::RED DAWN::: Remember:D Sh1t i loved that movie.
Disturbing because it suggests the days ahead may be pretty grim for our troops. Bush-lite may well have put us in a no-win situation. We don't dare leave, but we can't afford to stay. How many more will die for the neo-cons' imperialist wet dream?

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
It's a shame that they are perverting the Islam religion to justify their attacks.
They're not perverting it. Religions have always been used to motivate and justify the killing/conquest of other groups. That's how islam was spread in the first place - by the sword.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
It's a shame that they are perverting the Islam religion to justify their attacks.
They're not perverting it. Religions have always been used to motivate and justify the killing/conquest of other groups. That's how islam was spread in the first place - by the sword.
Unless it was a dark world penetrated by light. They may have just been neocons with something real to offer.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Why disturbing? I would be doing the same if we were occupied by a foriegn power. Any true patriot would do the same. And get this I woould kill collaborators with the enemy too.

:::RED DAWN::: Remember:D Sh1t i loved that movie.
Disturbing because it suggests the days ahead may be pretty grim for our troops. Bush-lite may well have put us in a no-win situation. We don't dare leave, but we can't afford to stay. How many more will die for the neo-cons' imperialist wet dream?

Oh yea:eek:

Lots more.

Well theres a simple solution. Be seen as liberators. Don't razzle the poplution with storm trooperesque house to house searches, drop tons of food and water and dollars, have a real election now not appointed ex-pats running the place, allow them to put iraqis in control of rebuilding and oil the way they see fit after this said elections, loan them Billions though IMF to use to rebuild.

Of course BUsh being the disaster he is is fusken things up on purpose is my position since his string pullers want another dictator in Iraq that kisses our butt, they want a permanet base in IRAQ, they want the loot.

If we were trully seen by them as liberators none of this would be happening. It will continue to happen until Bush is gone.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Well theres a simple solution. Be seen as liberators. Don't razzle the poplution with storm trooperesque house to house searches, drop tons of food and water and dollars, have a real election now not appointed ex-pats running the place, allow them to put iraqis in control of rebuilding and oil the way they see fit after this said elections, loan them Billions though IMF to use to rebuild.

Of course BUsh being the disaster he is is fusken things up on purpose is my position since his string pullers want another dictator in Iraq that kisses our butt, they want a permanet base in IRAQ, they want the loot.

If we were trully seen by them as liberators none of this would be happening. It will continue to happen until Bush is gone.
They picked the wrong country if they're looking for sheep who welcome occupation. Too bad Bush and his minions slept through World History 101.

I think you offer a good strategy for turning this quagmire around. I also think we need to get the U.N. to take the lead, or even better, an international effort under Muslim leadership.