Disturbing Article from the Sydney Morning Herald - Inside the Resistance

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Here's a long article from the Sydney Morning Herald, drawn from an interview with people inside the Iraqi resistance:
Inside the resistance
The United States likes to think that all it confronts in Iraq are a few die-hard Saddamists. But Paul McGeough meets a new guerilla movement with growing popular support.

There's a knock on the door. Standing in the first-floor corridor of the Al Safeer Hotel are two men - Ahmed, a weapons dealer and group commander in the Iraqi resistance, and Haqi, one of his foot soldiers. They enter and take a seat on the sofa, edgy but full of bravado after what they claim was a successful strike against a US convoy in a rural area north of Baghdad.

They had agreed, after weeks of negotiation through a go-between, to talk about the resistance. Now they are here to recount the detail of their most recent offensive against the US occupation forces in Iraq.

Ahmed begins: "Yesterday we were told about the new movement of convoys, so we used a special car to take our RPG [rocket-propelled grenades] and guns up there. We struck at sunset, in an area surrounded by farms.

"We positioned ourselves as locals, just standing around. But as the convoy came into view we picked up the weapons which we had lying on the ground. There were 19 soldiers. I could see their faces. I fired three grenades - two at a truck and one at a Humvee. Then we escaped across the fields to a car that was waiting for us. It took just a few seconds because God makes it easy for us."

[ ... ]

"US claims about al-Qaeda and Ansar al Islam are just propaganda." But then he goes on: "We don't even ask the fighters if they belong to these groups or to political parties."

Speaking through an interpreter, he continues in guttural Arabic: "Our fighters are protecting our religion. We cannot allow foreigners to occupy our country."

Then he repeats the argument in much of the anti-American graffiti around Baghdad: "We suffered under Saddam and we hate him, but we would put him in our hearts ahead of a Christian or a Jew, because he is a Muslim."

This is a culture in which revenge is honourable, and Ahmed vents his opinion freely: "The Americans do not respect us, so we cannot respect them. They are a cancer of bad things: prostitution, gambling and drugs."

Haqi: "This struggle is not about Saddam. It's about our country and our God. Our aim is not to have power or to rule the country. We just want the US out and for the word of Allah to be the power in Iraq."

[ ... ]

Because the roots of Iraqi offence at the American presence are to be found in their tribal culture as much as in the Koran, the resistance fighters confidently rely on tribal networks for information on the Americans and for help to get away in a hurry after an attack.

Ahmed says: "The people offer us hiding places when we are in danger. They support us with words and blessings and sometimes they hide our fighters in the boot of their cars to take them to safety."

Their approach is as effective as it is simple. Usually they explode a landmine to halt an US convoy and to disorient the soldiers. Then one group of resistance fighters opens fire from one side of the road, drawing the attention of the Americans, while the men with an RPG take aim from a position about 150 metres back from the other side of the road.

Many of the fighters draw on their experience in national service under Saddam and they have acquired bomb-making and other manuals from the disbanded Iraqi military. They have been having lethal success with remote-controlled devices, including one that was floated down a river on a palm log to explode under a bridge used by the US.

[ ... ]
I fear we are underestimating the enemy, and a lot more Americans may die before we wise up.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's a shame that they are perverting the Islam religion to justify their attacks.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
"We positioned ourselves as locals, just standing around. But as the convoy came into view we picked up the weapons which we had lying on the ground. There were 19 soldiers. I could see their faces. I fired three grenades - two at a truck and one at a Humvee. Then we escaped across the fields to a car that was waiting for us. It took just a few seconds because God makes it easy for us."

This guy is fscking insane, I hope someone shoots him and they let him bleed out.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The Christian God talks to Bush.

Link to a legitimate source to prove that please. I'm not saying that you would lie but your past history does make anything you post on here suspect.

What does Bush have to do with this anyway? This is about Arabs that are distorting the religion of peace and tolerance, at least that is the article posted in the first post.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Tabb

LOL! :p Bush really shot himself in the foot by saying that :(

Happy now, etech.

And besides what you call suspect is a good indication of the presence of some probable truth. You are like a compass that's been reverse magnetized.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Happy now, etech.

And besides what you call suspect is a good indication of the presence of some probable truth. You are like a compass that's been reverse magnetized.

Do you or do you not have any proof from a legitimate source that Pres. Bush said that?

I won't play your little insult game today. I'm sorry to disapoint you there.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: etech

Link to a legitimate source to prove that please. I'm not saying that you would lie but your past history does make anything you post on here suspect.

What does Bush have to do with this anyway? This is about Arabs that are distorting the religion of peace and tolerance, at least that is the article posted in the first post.
With all due respect, it seems to me that it's more about people who believe they are defending their county. They don't like living under occupation. The fact the occupier is not Muslim fans the flames, but I wouldn't expect them to be happier with an occupation by Iran, for example.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

With all due respect, it seems to me that it's more about people who believe they are defending their county. They don't like living under occupation. The fact the occupier is not Muslim fans the flames, but I wouldn't expect them to be happier with an occupation by Iran, for example.

Did you read the article you posted?

Do you think that the time is right for Iraq to self-govern? Are they ready for that right now? Would you blame the US if it pulled out now and Iraq fell into chaos? rhetorical question.

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000

Do you think that the time is right for Iraq to self-govern? Are they ready for that right now? Would you blame the US if it pulled out now and Iraq fell into chaos? rhetorical question.

That is something that Bush should have thought about as a consequence. No matter what you do, some people will b1tch. No one likes an occupation, even if its for their own good, especially not the fanatical type with lots of religious zeal. There will be resistance throughout Iraq. As things get worse and worse because the Bush Admin is not doing jack for infrastructure (less the oil industry), their numbers will only grow.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Why disturbing? I would be doing the same if we were occupied by a foriegn power. Any true patriot would do the same. And get this I woould kill collaborators with the enemy too.

:::RED DAWN::: Remember:D Sh1t i loved that movie.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
etech -

What the hell are we doing in their country - under false pretenses - in the first place.
Congress, America, and the World population were lied to so Bush could manufacture a WAR !
Iraq is THEIR country, not ours. Our nation setting their rules for Bushes convenience is morally wrong.

This Cowboy Gung-Ho crap is stupid, Macho, and childishly immature.
I expect more out of our country than that, maybe a little leadership,
but this clown dosen't have a clue about how to lead - He's a reactionary paranoid since 9-11.

I guess that living in Oklahoma, after serving in the Navy as a Fire Control Technitian -
really qualifies you to be an expert on the Islamic Religion in a country that you never set foot in.

Oh, yeah - by the way - Bush is dyslexic, he talks to his dog.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Happy now, etech.

Do you or do you not have any proof from a legitimate source that Pres. Bush said that?

I won't play your little insult game today. I'm sorry to disapoint you there.
Yeah, Tabb is my source and please note that I was responding to your following slanderous lie:

"I'm not saying that you would lie but your past history does make anything you post on here suspect."

I'm saying you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground and are totally incredible as a judge as to what is suspect. We can't have the bully, etech, determining the parameters of the debate. We are dealing here with your opinion, not fact. Your past history makes what you say suspect so naturally you would wish to make that case against me. I am the self you will not see. :D Love yourself and you'll love me. I am not only as committed to truth as you, I'm also closser to it. :p

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Gee Dubya, the God whisperer.

haaretz.com

Abbas said that at Aqaba, Bush promised to speak with Sharon about the siege on Arafat. He said
nobody can speak to or pressure Sharon except the Americans.

According to Abbas, immediately thereafter Bush said: "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I
struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am
determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not,
the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dexvx

That is something that Bush should have thought about as a consequence. No matter what you do, some people will b1tch. No one likes an occupation, even if its for their own good, especially not the fanatical type with lots of religious zeal. There will be resistance throughout Iraq. As things get worse and worse because the Bush Admin is not doing jack for infrastructure (less the oil industry), their numbers will only grow.

Just rhetoric or do you have some proof that to back that up?

If the Iraqi's who want the US out of the country blow up the infrastructure who are they hurting and why would they do that?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Thank you DealMonkey and CaptnKirk for two cogent posts.

As to your question, etech:

"If the Iraqi's who want the US out of the country blow up the infrastructure who are they hurting and why would they do that?"

We have known that people cut off their nose to spite their faces for thousands of years. It is part of the reflex of self hate. It is just the same for us all because we would rather die than awake. This knowledge cannot come to the for though and be, say, a part of an intelligent long ranged plan, because a recognition of the self destructive behavior of others always contains the danger that we will turn our wisdom on ourselves. Anything referencing a deep psychological understanding of man is to be avoided like the plague.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
What's with the 'Prove it" crap ? - God that's childish.

I know Kirk, you would rather be able to throw out any statement without any proof and have everyone blindly believe it. Sorry, I try to research and find some foundation for what I believe in. I don't take the word or anything I see posted on the internet. If moonie want to say that Pres. Bush is the anti-Christ than I want more proof than his word.

If Abbas is the entire and only source for the quote about Pres. Bush than I will not give it any credence. Of course you may do as you wish. The world doesn't need blind sheep but to each their own.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Yoo Hoo etech !

The Bush Anti-Christ post is the OTHER thread - this is the Iraqi Resistance post.
You know - the one where you are the resident expert on the Islamic Religion.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Yoo Hoo etech !

The Bush Anti-Christ post is the <STRONG>OTHER</STRONG> thread - this is the Iraqi Resistance post.
You know - the one where you are the resident expert on the Islamic Religion.

Try to keep up kirk, that was an example that I was using.

When did I say I was an expert. I have been doing my best to learn about the Middle East and the cultures there for a number of years. So many hot spots in the world seem to involve that culture that it would behoove anyone that has an interest in the world and the future to become educated on it.

You should try it sometime.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
If Abbas is the entire and only source for the quote about Pres. Bush than I will not give it any credence. Of course you may do as you wish. The world doesn't need blind sheep but to each their own.

That's because you selectively discredit sources to carefully match your agenda. So tell us, you imply that Abbas has no credibility, why is that? Prove that he's not credible. Or are you only choosing to believe what reconciles with your view of the world?