Disturbing Article about Obama and his minister

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: chowderhead
Perhaps, after seeing polls like this:
56% of voters including 44% of Democrats said Wright?s comments made them less likely to vote for Obama,
Obama has decided to give a major speech on race where he is expected to talk about race in the campaign but also "talk about how some of these issues are perceived from within the black church issue for example," he said.

Obama will also try and defend Wright by saying these are caricatures that are not accurate of the clips that have been shown on television (clips he has denounced).

From what I read in that link even with all the bullshit mud - and IMO that's what this is - Obama still polls slightly better than Hillary and both now trail McCain. I'm shocked. The old white republican guy leads the democrat woman and black man. If the dems want any chance of winning the GE they'd better get their shit together and decide on a candidate.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
What Makes Obama Run? December 8, 1995

The article is a little long (not bad) but I though it gave me some good context on some of Obama's early career, which is what I'm looking for and interested in reading at this point, so I thought I'd share it.

Well, I'm glad you found that article and not me:) It goes to show that he's no racist.

EDIT: What do you think? Will you demonize him because he attended the Million Man March? Or do you think he was faking it back in 1995?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: daveymark
Originally posted by: x26
Originally posted by: Codewiz
Many people have questioned Obama's ties to his church. His church is pretty far out there. It was even rumored that his advisors told him to distance himself from it.

He has been a "member" of that church for 20 years...

bingo. he can't distance himself from it. All he can do is "suddenly" have a change of heart. I wonder if this is going to change the minds of obamabots - if he decides to all of a sudden decide to admonish his own pastor, then he's doing it to pander to get votes

so much for "change"

just more of the same

He DID admonish the pastor, but how do you know what's been in his mind these past 20 years? Perhaps there's nothing sudden at all...just the focus lately due to being a Presidential candidate.

Whether you guys realize it or not, you are basically arguing that it is IMPOSSIBLE for Obama to be a member of a church where the paster has said some borderline racist things without Obama thinking the same thing. I can think of a lot of scenarios where that could happen, and since Obama hasn't shown any evidence at all that he's a racist, I have no reason to doubt his story.

"The US KKK A" fully racial

Calls Farakhan a "great man" and bestows him an award. Fully racial

And left out patriotic.

"Not God Bless America God Damn America!

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
I found an archived page from 2006 of Obama's church home page with the black value points listed on it:
We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the Black Community
3. Commitment to the Black Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.

http://web.archive.org/web/200...www.tucc.org/about.htm

If they are so "Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian" why did they feel the need to remove the above section from the page?

What if you replaced the word Black with WHITE? and it was Sen McCains Church? Tell me it wouldn't be headlines around the world?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: EXman
I found an archived page from 2006 of Obama's church home page with the black value points listed on it:
We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the Black Community
3. Commitment to the Black Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.

http://web.archive.org/web/200...www.tucc.org/about.htm

If they are so "Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian" why did they feel the need to remove the above section from the page?

What if you replaced the word Black with WHITE? and it was Sen McCains Church? Tell me it wouldn't be headlines around the world?

Doesn't work like that and you know it. Like it or not there is a double standard regarding race in this country. That said, it wasn't the blacks who enslaved the whites and while slavery ended long ago racial equality still isn't there yet.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Originally posted by: M0RPH
Barack Obama, June 5, 2007, Praising Rev. Jeremiah Wright

LOL, is it just me or Obama TRYING to sound extra "black" in this clip??

No, it's not just you. He's very good at dialing up or down his 'blackness' depending on the situation.

No, it's not him. You've got to be deaf and blind not to see that shit.

Man you guys are really reaching. Newsflash: Politicians pander to their crowd.

I've got one for ya... What if that's his 'extra black' is his normal speaking style and when he addresses white folks he uses his, 'trying to sound extra 'white' voice'?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Don't know if this has been already posted -

Rolling Stone - Feb 22, 1007

'The Trinity United Church of Christ, the church that Barack Obama attends in Chicago, is at once vast and unprepossessing, a big structure a couple of blocks from the projects, in the long open sore of a ghetto on the city's far South Side. The church is a leftover vision from the Sixties of what a black nationalist future might look like. There's the testifying fervor of the black church, the Afrocentric Bible readings, even the odd dashiki. And there is the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, a sprawling, profane bear of a preacher, a kind of black ministerial institution, with his own radio shows and guest preaching gigs across the country. Wright takes the pulpit here one Sunday and solemnly, sonorously declares that he will recite ten essential facts about the United States. "Fact number one: We've got more black men in prison than there are in college," he intones. "Fact number two: Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run!" There is thumping applause; Wright has a cadence and power that make Obama sound like John Kerry. Now the reverend begins to preach. "We are deeply involved in the importing of drugs, the exporting of guns and the training of professional KILLERS. . . . We believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God. . . . We conducted radiation experiments on our own people. . . . We care nothing about human life if the ends justify the means!" The crowd whoops and amens as Wright builds to his climax: "And. And. And! GAWD! Has GOT! To be SICK! OF THIS SHIT!"'

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

'The Trinity United Church of Christ, the church that Barack Obama attends in Chicago, is at once vast and unprepossessing, a big structure a couple of blocks from the projects, in the long open sore of a ghetto on the city's far South Side. The church is a leftover vision from the Sixties of what a black nationalist future might look like. There's the testifying fervor of the black church, the Afrocentric Bible readings, even the odd dashiki. And there is the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, a sprawling, profane bear of a preacher, a kind of black ministerial institution, with his own radio shows and guest preaching gigs across the country. Wright takes the pulpit here one Sunday and solemnly, sonorously declares that he will recite ten essential facts about the United States. "Fact number one: We've got more black men in prison than there are in college," he intones. "Fact number two: Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run!" There is thumping applause; Wright has a cadence and power that make Obama sound like John Kerry. Now the reverend begins to preach. "We are deeply involved in the importing of drugs, the exporting of guns and the training of professional KILLERS. . . . We believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God. . . . We conducted radiation experiments on our own people. . . . We care nothing about human life if the ends justify the means!" The crowd whoops and amens as Wright builds to his climax: "And. And. And! GAWD! Has GOT! To be SICK! OF THIS SHIT!"'

The big question is what is RollingStone going to do for their 1002 Year Anniversary issue?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

What a sick, disgusting piece of crap the preacher is.

I've said all along if you want to find out who obama really is, look at his church. We CANNOT let a person like this anywhere near the executive branch.

Obama can't spin his way out of this. This is the most influential person in his life and he believes exactly like this preacher. You can hear it in his wifes words and in his, only obama is better at hiding his racism.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Bumrush99

?In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01,? Wright wrote in Trumpet. ?White America and the Western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ?disappeared? as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.?

In one of his sermons, Wright said to thumping applause, ?Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run! ...We [in the U.S.] believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.?

In an op-ed in the Philadelphia Tribune, Wright said that war is about ?making the world safe? for American business interests. ?When one goes against the war, one tampers with the financial institutions and the financial system that was put in place by the Founding Fathers of this country to keep the rich, rich!? he said. ?The rich can only stay rich by keeping the poor, poor.?

As for Israel, ?The Israelis have illegally occupied Palestinian territories for over 40 years now,? Wright has said. ?Divestment has now hit the table again as a strategy to wake the business community and wake up Americans concerning the injustice and the racism under which the Palestinians have lived because of Zionism.?

Umm... no shit sherlock? How is this controversial? Oh yeah, because people believe what they read in their middle-school history books for starters. Adding that they think Jesus wants people (and legally speaking corporations are people, remember) to exploit the poor and colored both at home and abroad for freedom. And I won't forget that if you're not with us you're against us; if you want the war to end then you don't support the troops; and if you don't like the patriot act then you're not a patriot and clearly hate 'Merica.

The only thing I find shocking is that this rhetoric is being spoken aloud in a church. When venturing into politics, I thought they mostly stuck to how Spongebob promotes homosexuality and how Global Warming is BS.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Well, since I started this thread I think its appropriate for me to end it :)

I've never been accused of being a naive person, but something about his speech today resonated with me. While the relationship remains troubling to a small degree, the significance of it, IMHO is greatly downplayed after listening to his articulate speech.

I am a 32 year old white male and have never heard a politician speak about race in a way that resonated the way Obama did today. For many of us it is too easy to discredit legitimate concerns by applying a caricature of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or some overfed welfare mom in front of us to lessen the impact that segregation and racial inequality has had in the country. It is very easy to do so and in all honesty we can't be blamed. The media, the race baiters and our own personal experiences all form those opinions and biases. For once it was nice to see a politician stand in front of America and bring up these issues without pandering to a specific group or policy. To help us understand WHY a moron like Wright has a forum, and why that doesn't neccesarily mean Obama is a bad person for supporting part of his platform.

Again, I'm not washing my hands with what I stated earlier in this post, but I am admitting that the issue was not as clear cut as it originally seemed.