Disturbing Article about Obama and his minister

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Dari
Only in a prayer. I have never seen a catholic priest go on and on about anything political.

Now it is surely possible there is one out there. But in the thousands of masses across many states I have attended it has never happened.

And never about social issues?

Like?

Science. Abortion. Divorce. AIDS. Iraq War.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Here's a good one.

Obama's church used to have a link on their home page to their black values mission satement, but they have removed it since I was last there (several months ago??). I guess with all this attention they don't want us gullible white folk to see what they are really promoting.

http://www.tucc.org/home.htm

There used to be a direct link on the home page, I know because I used it but it's gone now. The page is still there but how would one find it if he didn't know about it?

http://www.tucc.org/black_value_system.html

Oh yeah, I'm going to blindly trust this guy and his values because he talks so pretty. ;)

Why the wink? What point do you think that you have made/proven? That a black church's "values" are primarily to the black community and black members? WOW! Thanks for that enlightenment. :roll:

Let's compare that to McCain's church's philosophy, shall we?

http://www.npbc.org/index.php?_cmd=info&link=1

We believe that Jesus has eternally existed as God. Jesus became human in order to restore the relationship between God and humanity, which had been broken because of our sin. In other words, God became one of us. This is sometimes called the Incarnation. The written record of God revealing his plan to restore what had been broken through Jesus is called the Bible. It tells us that Jesus not only became human, but was born to a virgin and lived a sinless, perfect life on earth. His perfect life meant that his death would enable sinful humanity to have a way back to God. Jesus chose to die on a cross as a sacrifice for us and he rose from the dead three days later to make new life possible for us in this life and the next. What Jesus did during his time on earth, his character, and his teachings provide a consistent reminder of what we should be about with our lives.

What a bunch of whack jobs they are. They actually believe that a spiritual being possessed a human to regain control over the population. Apparently, if you follow their beliefs, despite all of the wars, death, disease and other suffering that took place for the thousands of years prior to this abduction of this human form, this God that they follow had a perfect plan that he couldn't implement and it fell to shit.

Let's check out Hillary's church, shall we?

Wait. Before we do that.....can you clarify for me what Hillary is? Is she the Methodist that she claims or is she the Jew that she claims to be?

Or maybe it is even something more?

Hillary Clinton?s hiring of ?faith guru? Burns Strider as an adviser to her presumptive presidential campaign, reported two days ago in the Hotline, draws some rare attention to Clinton?s religiosity, as yet unexamined in the same way that ?08 heavyweights like Mitt Romney and, through his high-profile meeting with Pastor Rick Warren, Barack Obama have been.

In Clinton?s case, there?s plenty to examine: religion seems to be the only part of her life that hasn?t undergone rigorous scrutiny.

Though Strider, as a onetime staff member for Nancy Pelosi, is squarely in the liberal camp, Clinton is part of not one, but two, prayers groups with distinctly conservative bents: an exclusive Senate prayer group that meets on Wednesday mornings, and a women?s prayer group that she?s been a part of since her early White House days. The women?s group is run by Holly Leachman, a layperson at the McLean Bible Church in Virginia, itself magnet for prominent conservatives, including former independent counsel Kenneth Starr, Republican senators John Thune and James Inhofe, as well as several Bush staffers and their families.

Leach's prayer group includes many prominent Republican wives, among them Susan Baker, wife of Iraq Study Group co-chairman James Baker, who along with Leachman ministered to Hillary Clinton in the wake of the Monica Lewinsky scandal. (Leachman, mentioned briefly in Clinton?s memoir, Living History, is the wife of Washington Redskins chaplain Jerry Leachman).

Both prayer groups are affiliated with The Fellowship, a reclusive and often controversial evangelical organization with a decades-long history of ministering to powerful people in government including Clinton, who herself has spoken at The Cedars, a mansion that The Fellowship maintains in Arlington.

Because it insists on utmost secrecy, The Fellowship has cultivated something of the air of one those sinister organizations you come across in John Grisham novels and, though it runs the annual National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C., is the type of outfit that would make many liberals blanch. All of which is to suggest that candidates? religion will an ongoing topic of fascination for political reporters, and it won?t just be limited to Romney.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

If Obama truly wanted to promote a multicultural society then why does he belong to and support a black values church? It seems to be hypocritical, a case of do as I say, not as I do.

His history does not seem to support his stated intentions.

And Bush claimed to be a uniter. Why didn't he belong to or attend black churches? Why hasn't Hillary who has also claimed that she would bring the country together?

What about McCain? I'm sure that somewhere along the line he has made the same claim?

You are way to smart 1EZ to be using this line of reasoning. You are making it blatantly obvious that you do not want Obama to win and this has been the first thing (and surprisingly one of the weakest "issues) that has seemed to gain any real traction.

I make no bones about it, I do prefer Hillary. I've liked her ever since she took 30 days off from her busy schedule as First Lady to sit with her dying father. Not exactly the actions of a "monster" IMHO.

lol. If you count that as a plus in her book, you must have a very low opinion of her. WTF wouldn't spend time with their dying parent?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

If Obama truly wanted to promote a multicultural society then why does he belong to and support a black values church? It seems to be hypocritical, a case of do as I say, not as I do.

And Bush claimed to be a uniter. Why didn't he belong to or attend black churches? Why hasn't Hillary who has also claimed that she would bring the country together?

What about McCain? I'm sure that somewhere along the line he has made the same claim?

You are way to smart 1EZ to be using this line of reasoning. You are making it blatantly obvious that you do not want Obama to win and this has been the first thing (and surprisingly one of the weakest "issues) that has seemed to gain any real traction.

I make no bones about it, I do prefer Hillary. I've liked her ever since she took 30 days off from her busy schedule as First Lady to sit with her dying father. Not exactly the actions of a "monster" IMHO.

lol. If you count that as a plus in her book, you must have a very low opinion of her. WTF wouldn't spend time with their dying parent?

Personally, I see no value in devaluing somebody for evaluating somebody else for something that is good.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

LOL, yourself. Wanting to spend time and actually spending time are two different things. If you think it's a big issue then go start a Hillary bashing thread because this is an Obama bashing thread. :p

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I'm not sure Hillary spending time with her dying father is anything extraordinary.. I think most people would do the same thing in that position. Lucky for her she was able to take that much time off - I know I wouldn't be able to. To be fair that 'monster' term resulted in the person no longer working for Obama.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Bumrush99
Originally posted by: Robor
Much easier to attack Hannity than to address the issue this relationship brings up. Much easier to point the finger at buffoons like Pat Robertson while ignoring the questions brought up in the this thread.

The questions have been answered by Obama and his supporters in this thread. Just because you don't like the answers does not mean they weren't answered. But go ahead and keep asking the same questions over and over to keep attention drawn to them. That is your motive after all.

Thank you for telling me what my motive is.
I wonder what your motive was when you called me a dumbass for starting this thread and a McCain supporter for implying that his relationship with the "minister" was troubling.

I guess your motive is to ignore this since you obviously can't come up with anything other than the same stupid argument that Obama didn't know or shouldn't be held responsible or accountable AT ALL for what his inspiration for the past 20 years has said in his racially tinged speeches. I guess when you run for president these things should be overlooked, unless of course the other side is guilty of doing the same.

Don't tell me Obama is somehow accountable because he has as a teacher one of the three pillars of monotheism, Edited by AT Moderator

How the hell did you make that connection?

I thought personal attacks were not tolerated on these boards and I would hope that the same rules would be applied even to Moonie who is clearly off his rocker with that response. I guess when you hate yourself as much Moonie does this type of response can be expected. Anger displayed towards others is actually anger internalized towards yourself so I can only assume that Moonie is angry for realizing that he in fact is the atheist questioning god.

Yes we do have a rule: "No.... personally attacking members. Deftly attacking ideas and backing up arguments with facts is acceptable and encouraged. The offending material has been edited

Please keep the thread On Topic and away from personal insults.

T.I.A.,

Fern
AnandTech P&N Moderator

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
He said he was aware. How many times does that have to be pointed out to you? The new stuff he said he wasn't aware. I think you've taken as much out of this as you can. Now you're just lying.

Sometimes if you say something enough it becomes accepted. A few weekends ago we had lunch with my mom, bro, and sis-in-law and the subject of the election came up. They asked who I supported and were surprised when I said Obama. My mother asked me why I would support him with him being a muslim. I corrected her by saying he's been a christian his entire life. Her reply? 'I don't know about that but he has muslim relatives'. /me rolls eyes... Since we all descended from the same 2 people I guess we all have muslim relatives, right? ;)

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Why are these statements (9/11 related anyway...I haven't seen any others) so controversial? What did he say that was so inflammatory?

I know that this is going to be a shock to a lot of people that reside in the U.S. but the pastor and Ron Paul are.......gasp......right.

The attacks of 9/11 are a direct result of US foreign policy both public and covert and were carried out by fanaticals that were duped into dying for a cause so that they would be martyrs in their religious icon's eyes. It was extremely unfortunate that innocent civilians lost their lives or their family members because of the actions and world and religious views of a few.

I think there is room for discussion on the role US foreign policy played as a factor in motivating anti-US animus that can result in attacks such as 9/11. However, 5 days after 9/11 when the country was in shock and mourning was not the time to start ranting about the evils of US foreign policy, unless you happened to possess a certain level of glee at the prospect of America brought low.

He also grouped into our foreign policy "mistakes" the bombing of Japan which saved countless thousand of US, and in the end probably Japaense lives, and which only a bizarro america hater could liken to a reason al qaeda attacked us.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

LOL, yourself. Wanting to spend time and actually spending time are two different things. If you think it's a big issue then go start a Hillary bashing thread because this is an Obama bashing thread. :p

If your mother, father, wife, husband, child was dying, and you couldn't find time to spend with them, you're a cold, cold person. You stay with them until they pass, IMHO. Anything less is being disrespectful, provided you aren't putting other peoples' lives at risk.

OH, I see you finally admitted the point of this thread. No wonder we keep going in circles:).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Only in a prayer. I have never seen a catholic priest go on and on about anything political.

Now it is surely possible there is one out there. But in the thousands of masses across many states I have attended it has never happened.

Like?

Like I said, we will say a prayer for abortion, people fighting over sea's, AIDs, and many social issues. But I have never heard a priest stand up and profess his opinion on those subjects.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Much easier to attack Hannity than to address the issue this relationship brings up. Much easier to point the finger at buffoons like Pat Robertson while ignoring the questions brought up in the this thread.

The questions have been answered by Obama and his supporters in this thread. Just because you don't like the answers does not mean they weren't answered. But go ahead and keep asking the same questions over and over to keep attention drawn to them. That is your motive after all.

I wonder what your motive was when you called me a dumbass for starting this thread and a McCain supporter for implying that his relationship with the "minister" was troubling.

I guess your motive is to ignore this since you obviously can't come up with anything other than the same stupid argument that Obama didn't know or shouldn't be held responsible or accountable AT ALL for what his inspiration for the past 20 years has said in his racially tinged speeches. I guess when you run for president these things should be overlooked, unless of course the other side is guilty of doing the same.

Don't tell me Obama is somehow accountable because he has as a teacher one of the three pillars of monotheism, you atheist son of a bitch.

I thought personal attacks were not tolerated on these boards and I would hope that the same rules would be applied even to Moonie who is clearly off his rocker with that response. I guess when you hate yourself as much Moonie does this type of response can be expected. Anger displayed towards others is actually anger internalized towards yourself so I can only assume that Moonie is angry for realizing that he in fact is the atheist questioning god.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Moonie's comment was tongue in cheek? That's the way I took it anyway.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004

Don't tell me Obama is somehow accountable because he has as a teacher one of the three pillars of monotheism, you atheist son of a bitch.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Moonie's comment was tongue in cheek? That's the way I took it anyway.

So was mine.. partially ;)

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Like?

Like I said, we will say a prayer for abortion, people fighting over sea's, AIDs, and many social issues. But I have never heard a priest stand up and profess his opinion on those subjects.

That's interesting. I've never been in a Catholic church, except as a tourist. But many of the churches I've been to in Texas, social and political issues were usually part of the sermon.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

If your mother, father, wife, husband, child was dying, and you couldn't find time to spend with them, you're a cold, cold person. You stay with them until they pass, IMHO. Anything less is being disrespectful, provided you aren't putting other peoples' lives at risk.

OH, I see you finally admitted the point of this thread. No wonder we keep going in circles:).

It's easy to act magnanamous with nothing but hot air isn't it, no wonder you support Obama.

Since your so short of substance I too agree there is no point in discussing this with you any further, you have shown yourself to be a individual with little to no class.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sirjonk
I think there is room for discussion on the role US foreign policy played as a factor in motivating anti-US animus that can result in attacks such as 9/11. However, 5 days after 9/11 when the country was in shock and mourning was not the time to start ranting about the evils of US foreign policy, unless you happened to possess a certain level of glee at the prospect of America brought low.

He also grouped into our foreign policy "mistakes" the bombing of Japan which saved countless thousand of US, and in the end probably Japaense lives, and which only a bizarro america hater could liken to a reason al qaeda attacked us.

I don't think there's any doubt that 9/11 was a result of our foreign policies regarding the middle east. Agree that was not the time to rant on it but this guy is obviously an attention whore.

It's definitely debatable that the bombing of Japan saved Japanese lives. With the massive numbers killed I doubt it but hey, we didn't start that fight. Either way, when the topic of preventing certain countries from becoming nuke capable I often hear/read comments that the US is hypocritical considering we're the only country to ever use them against another country.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
I found an archived page from 2006 of Obama's church home page with the black value points listed on it:
We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the Black Community
3. Commitment to the Black Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.

http://web.archive.org/web/200...www.tucc.org/about.htm

If they are so "Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian" why did they feel the need to remove the above section from the page?

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I found an archived page from 2006 of Obama's church home page with the black value points listed on it:

<snipped for resizing?

If they are so "Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian" why did they feel the need to remove the above section from the page?

Maybe they felt that the website needed updating after two years? I can guarantee you that every major site in existence has been updated in that timeframe.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

<snipped for resizing?

Maybe they felt that the website needed updating after two years? I can guarantee you that every major site in existence has been updated in that timeframe.

Then why no link to it on their main page? It's still on the server, I linked to it previously, they're just hiding it. That doesn't fit the Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian' statment they still have there.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the Black Community
3. Commitment to the Black Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.

I read that in the previous link and IMO there's nothing over-the-top there. I read it as blacks supporting blacks. No big deal and no different than any other racial minority in this country. My wife is Filipina and guess what? So are most of her friends. If there was a church in the area that was predominately Philippine citizens I'll guarantee you she'd attend it. Does that make her/them racists? Not in my opinion.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Then why no link to it on their main page? It's still on the server, I linked to it previously, they're just hiding it. That doesn't fit the Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian' statment they still have there.

Why don't you ask them instead of assume some conspiracy theory? If they really wanted to 'hide it' I'm sure they would have taken it off the server completely.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

It's easy to act magnanamous with nothing but hot air isn't it, no wonder you support Obama.

Since your so short of substance I too agree there is no point in discussing this with you any further, you have shown yourself to be a individual with little to no class.

A tad sensitive on the subject, aren't we? Seems like it's something you'd have to seriously consider. You should be ashamed. No wonder you support Hillary:laugh:. Low standards FTW.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Perhaps, after seeing polls like this:
56% of voters including 44% of Democrats said Wright?s comments made them less likely to vote for Obama,
Obama has decided to give a major speech on race where he is expected to talk about race in the campaign but also "talk about how some of these issues are perceived from within the black church issue for example," he said.

Obama will also try and defend Wright by saying these are caricatures that are not accurate of the clips that have been shown on television (clips he has denounced).