Disturbing Article about Obama and his minister

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: daveymark
Originally posted by: x26
Originally posted by: Codewiz
Many people have questioned Obama's ties to his church. His church is pretty far out there. It was even rumored that his advisors told him to distance himself from it.

He has been a "member" of that church for 20 years...

bingo. he can't distance himself from it. All he can do is "suddenly" have a change of heart. I wonder if this is going to change the minds of obamabots - if he decides to all of a sudden decide to admonish his own pastor, then he's doing it to pander to get votes

so much for "change"

just more of the same

He DID admonish the pastor, but how do you know what's been in his mind these past 20 years? Perhaps there's nothing sudden at all...just the focus lately due to being a Presidential candidate.

in other words, he's doing it because he's running for president. thanks for proving my point. Interesting that team obama waited until now to do this. I suppose the idea was to wait until it comes to a head before stating anything about it. they knew about this issue for a while now.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: rchiu
Originally posted by: ericlp
Personally I could care less what church a person goes too....

If this country was not so tied up on religion this wouldn't even be an issue.... Who cares what he believes in... It's obvious that if this nation was not so addicted to religion like a bunch of crack prostitutes then this wouldn't even made the headlines. It just goes to show how bad it really is...Or how bad it really has gotten. Sad...Sad...sad....

What if we had an atheist for a president? I bet you'd be all over that huh?

As for McCain? Well, probably better then bush but not by much... If he should win he will ride the religious voting christain bus on the way to the polls! Vote for him or your gonna burn in hell! Sheesh...

If Wright only preaches religion, this wouldn't be an issue. But the problem is he also mix radical political/racial ideology into his sermons, and American needs to know if Obama believes those ideology.

Obama is a smart guy and he is a good speaker, and he knows what to say in a presidential election. But what really matters is what he believes deep down in his heart. And if that's drastically different from Wright's beliefs like he claims, why he keeps going to Wright's church and have Wright be such an important person in his life.

Do you attend church service or any service for that matter? It is impossible to separate politics from religion. Absolutely impossible. Add in social issues and you're always going to have controversy. Everywhere in the bible, social, political, and religious issues are mixed perfectly. The very basis of religion is political in nature.

Well, the Catholic church I go to never talk about political issues in sermons, even controversial stuff like abortion. I know where they stand on that, but all the paster talk is everyday life and how God affects it, never the political stuff.

Social or political issues never creep up? Wow, that pastor must have tremendous restraint. That's a rarity.

No it's common. Else they will lose its tax exempt status. Wisdom s the key. Sounds Like Pastor Wright has neither restraint or Wisdom. Most preachers go to the line and and pull the E-break. Wisdom is the Key.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
It's nice to see the "defend the racist by claiming the racecard" now into play.

(CNN) -- The Rev. Jeremiah Wright's former church criticized the news media Sunday for coverage of his sermons, saying in a statement that Wright's "character is being assassinated in the public sphere."

Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, Illinois, defended Wright, saying he "has preached a social gospel on behalf of oppressed women, children and men in America and around the globe."

The statement came two days after Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, a longtime friend of Wright and attendee of the church, denounced sermons that have become the subject of recent controversy. Obama called them "inflammatory and appalling."

"It is an indictment on Dr. Wright's ministerial legacy to present his global ministry within a 15- or 30-second sound bite," the Rev. Otis Moss III, the current pastor of the church, said in the statement.

"The African-American Church was born out of the crucible of slavery, and the legacy of prophetic African-American preachers since slavery has been and continues to heal broken, marginalized victims of social and economic injustices," Moss added.

"This is an attack on the legacy of the African-American Church, which led and continues to lead the fight for human rights in America and around the world."

In the same statement, the Rev. John H. Thomas, the general minister and president of the United Church of Christ -- the denomination to which Wright's church belongs -- said the news media were creating a "caricature" of his congregation.

"It's time for us to say 'No' to these attacks and declare that we will not allow anyone to undermine or destroy the ministries of any of our congregations in order to serve their own narrow political or ideological ends," Thomas said.

The sermons in question became the subject of scrutiny last week after being highlighted in an ABC News report.

At one December service, Wright argued Clinton's road to the White House is easier than Obama's because of her skin color.

"Hillary was not a black boy raised in a single-parent home; Barack was," Wright says in a video of the sermon posted on YouTube. "Barack knows what it means to be a black man living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary! Hillary ain't never been called a '*****!' Hillary has never had her people defined as a non-person."

Wright, who retired this year from his post, also says in the video, "Who cares about what a poor black man has to face every day in a country and in a culture controlled by rich white people?"

In denouncing those sermons Friday, Obama defended his 20-year relationship with Wright, saying that the pastor has served him in a spiritual role -- not a political one.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Bill Kristol, partisan hack at large, had a nice preview of what we can expect from the republican camp in the upcoming months...

... it?s becoming clear that Obama has been less than candid in addressing his relationship to his pastor, Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., of Chicago?s Trinity United Church of Christ. For example, Obama claimed Friday that ?the statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity.?

It certainly could be the case that Obama personally didn?t hear Wright?s 2003 sermon when he proclaimed: ?The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing ?God Bless America.? No, no, no, not God bless America, God damn America, that?s in the Bible for killing innocent people. ... God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human.?

But Ronald Kessler, a journalist who has written about Wright?s ministry, claims that Obama was in fact in the pews at Trinity last July 22. That?s when Wright blamed the ?arrogance? of the ?United States of White America? for much of the world?s suffering, especially the oppression of blacks. In any case, given the apparent frequency of such statements in Wright?s preaching and their centrality to his worldview, the pretense that over all these years Obama had no idea that Wright was saying such things is hard to sustain.

This doesn?t mean that Obama agrees with Wright?s thoroughgoing and conspiracy-heavy anti-Americanism. Rather, Obama seems to have seen, early in his career, the utility of joining a prominent church that would help him establish political roots in the community in which he lives. Now he sees the utility of distancing himself from that church. Obama?s behavior in dealing with Wright is consistent with that of a politician who often voted ?present? in the Illinois State Legislature for the sake of his future political viability.

The more you learn about him, the more Obama seems to be a conventionally opportunistic politician, impressively smart and disciplined, who has put together a good political career and a terrific presidential campaign. But there?s not much audacity of hope there. There?s the calculation of ambition, and the construction of artifice, mixed in with a dash of deceit ? all covered over with the great conceit that this campaign, and this candidate, are different.

?Generation Obama? is just a fancy name for young activists for Obama. But the (remarkable) conceit is this: The ?next great generation? of Americans can appropriately be called ?Generation Obama.?

Now I?m actually a believer in the next generation, which one might call the 9/11 generation. Many of its members seem more serious and impressive than we baby boomers were when our elders were foolishly praising us, 40 years ago, as the best-educated, most idealistic generation ever. Many of the best of this young generation are serving their country ? either in the military or otherwise. Some are in politics, working for various causes, liberal and conservative, and for various candidates, Democrats and Republicans. But surely there?s something creepy about a campaign claiming them as ?Generation Obama.?

With no particular dog in the Democratic fight, many conservatives have tended to think it would be good for the country if Obama were to win the Democratic nomination, freeing us from the dreary prospect of the return of the House of Clinton. Now I wonder. Might the country be better off with the cynicism of the Clintons than the conceit of Obama?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03...opinion/17kristol.html

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: x26
Originally posted by: Codewiz
Many people have questioned Obama's ties to his church. His church is pretty far out there. It was even rumored that his advisors told him to distance himself from it.

He has been a "member" of that church for 20 years...

bingo. he can't distance himself from it. All he can do is "suddenly" have a change of heart. I wonder if this is going to change the minds of obamabots - if he decides to all of a sudden decide to admonish his own pastor, then he's doing it to pander to get votes

so much for "change"

just more of the same

He DID admonish the pastor, but how do you know what's been in his mind these past 20 years? Perhaps there's nothing sudden at all...just the focus lately due to being a Presidential candidate.

in other words, he's doing it because he's running for president. thanks for proving my point. Interesting that team obama waited until now to do this. I suppose the idea was to wait until it comes to a head before stating anything about it. they knew about this issue for a while now.

?If Barack gets past the primary, he might have to publicly distance himself from me,? Mr. Wright said with a shrug. ?I said it to Barack personally, and he said yeah, that might have to happen.?

NYTimes April 30, 2007

On the Sunday after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, Mr. Wright said the attacks were a consequence of violent American policies. Four years later he wrote that the attacks had proved that ?people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ?disappeared? as the Great White West went on its merry way of ignoring Black concerns.?

?The violence of 9/11 was inexcusable and without justification,? he said in a recent interview. He was not at Trinity the day Mr. Wright delivered his remarks shortly after the attacks, Mr. Obama said, but ?it sounds like he was trying to be provocative.?

So his pastor blaming 9/11 on the US has been known for a while, but only now do we get the video to see what was said. Obama thought his Reverend was just being "provocative," knew he would have to distance himself from Wright, but did nothing until the videos came out.
What else does he have to hide or do we have to wait until he gets the nomination before all the garbage comes out?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I thought Obama was a Muslim?

Big tempest, little teapot. He has a pastor that can be an asshat. OK.

This seems to be the best the opposition can come up with. Considering all the crap flung around during a Presidential campaign this is a non-starter for me.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
But Ronald Kessler, a journalist who has written about Wright?s ministry, claims that Obama was in fact in the pews at Trinity last July 22. That?s when Wright blamed the ?arrogance? of the ?United States of White America? for much of the world?s suffering, especially the oppression of blacks. In any case, given the apparent frequency of such statements in Wright?s preaching and their centrality to his worldview, the pretense that over all these years Obama had no idea that Wright was saying such things is hard to sustain.

Kristol is a buffoon, and even more so for citing a third rate source like Newsmax. A well-known bastion of journalistic integrity right there.

Obama has a pretty damn good alibi for that day:

UPDATED SCHEDULE OF KEY SPEAKERS AND EVENTS
Sunday, July 22 11:00 a.m. LATINAS BRUNCH, Una Charla Con Hillary ? Hall B
Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL)
Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY)
Interview led by Monica Lozano, Publisher and CEO, La Opinión

1:30 p.m. SPECIAL FORUM: Foro Del Pueblo Con Sen. Obama ? Room D128-129, (Open to the public)
Featured Speaker: Senator Barack Obama (D-IL)

Video snippet in case anyone cares to watch.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: scott
(I didn't slog through the whole threaqd)

So who probably surfaced this dirt, hoping it sticks on Obama . . .slime-dripping stinking Hillary or the Republicans?

According to Politico it was the Hillary camp pushing this angle.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: SViscusi

So who probably surfaced this dirt, hoping it sticks on Obama . . .slime-dripping stinking Hillary or the Republicans?

According to Politico the Media is commiting character assassination and ?crucifixion? of Obamas Pastor:

Church accuses media of 'crucifixion'

CHICAGO ? The church attended by Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) fought back Sunday against mounting criticism of its pastor, accusing the media of character assassination and ?crucifixion.?

"We have listened and watched as the wonderful work of our church has been vilified this week," he told about 3,000 congregants on Palm Sunday morning. "This week should be special for us because I guess we know a little something about crucifixion."

I guess they call teaching viral hate mongering in the name of God ?wonderful work of our church?

Moss delivered a fiery sermon Sunday, defending the African-American church?s right to speak out about social issues. He stressed Trinity's work in its still-impoverished community, mentioning the church's scholarship programs, drug counseling, SAT prep classes, and missions to Africa.

"Our very sanity is connected to the church. If it hadn't been for the church we would have lost our minds in the insanity of racism," he said, in a sermon titled, "Why the Black Church Won't Shut Up."

Translation; flipping out the "race card" to make things better, who would have thought that was coming.

The scary part is neither that church or its followers are really denouncing that Pastors vile beliefs or racist hate rhetoric. That is the element Obama has been a part of for a long time which begs the question: Do we really want to have a leader of our country that has been immersed in this racist hate mongering environment or that has a church that thinks like this that has his ear?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

If this country was not so tied up on religion this wouldn't even be an issue.... Who cares what he believes in... It's obvious that if this nation was not so addicted to religion like a bunch of crack prostitutes then this wouldn't even made the headlines. It just goes to show how bad it really is...Or how bad it really has gotten. Sad...Sad...sad....

As for McCain? Well, probably better then bush but not by much... If he should win he will ride the religious voting christain bus on the way to the polls! Vote for him or your gonna burn in hell! Sheesh...

If Wright only preaches religion, this wouldn't be an issue. But the problem is he also mix radical political/racial ideology into his sermons, and American needs to know if Obama believes those ideology.

Obama is a smart guy and he is a good speaker, and he knows what to say in a presidential election. But what really matters is what he believes deep down in his heart. And if that's drastically different from Wright's beliefs like he claims, why he keeps going to Wright's church and have Wright be such an important person in his life.

Do you attend church service or any service for that matter? It is impossible to separate politics from religion. Absolutely impossible. Add in social issues and you're always going to have controversy. Everywhere in the bible, social, political, and religious issues are mixed perfectly. The very basis of religion is political in nature.

Gee I dont know. When i go to church the most political statements I hear are a prayer for the unborn children who die in abortions. Otherwise i havent heard a priest rant on and on about politics, ideology, or personal bigotry.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Well, the Catholic church I go to never talk about political issues in sermons, even controversial stuff like abortion. I know where they stand on that, but all the paster talk is everyday life and how God affects it, never the political stuff.

Same thing for my Catholic church, or any Catholic church I have attended through my life.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Social or political issues never creep up? Wow, that pastor must have tremendous restraint. That's a rarity.

I have yet to attend a Catholic mass that had a priest that brings up politics.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: chowderhead

?If Barack gets past the primary, he might have to publicly distance himself from me,? Mr. Wright said with a shrug. ?I said it to Barack personally, and he said yeah, that might have to happen.?

NYTimes April 30, 2007

On the Sunday after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, Mr. Wright said the attacks were a consequence of violent American policies. Four years later he wrote that the attacks had proved that ?people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ?disappeared? as the Great White West went on its merry way of ignoring Black concerns.?

?The violence of 9/11 was inexcusable and without justification,? he said in a recent interview. He was not at Trinity the day Mr. Wright delivered his remarks shortly after the attacks, Mr. Obama said, but ?it sounds like he was trying to be provocative.?

So his pastor blaming 9/11 on the US has been known for a while, but only now do we get the video to see what was said. Obama thought his Reverend was just being "provocative," knew he would have to distance himself from Wright, but did nothing until the videos came out.
What else does he have to hide or do we have to wait until he gets the nomination before all the garbage comes out?

Why are these statements (9/11 related anyway...I haven't seen any others) so controversial? What did he say that was so inflammatory?

I know that this is going to be a shock to a lot of people that reside in the U.S. but the pastor and Ron Paul are.......gasp......right.

The attacks of 9/11 are a direct result of US foreign policy both public and covert and were carried out by fanaticals that were duped into dying for a cause so that they would be martyrs in their religious icon's eyes. It was extremely unfortunate that innocent civilians lost their lives or their family members because of the actions and world and religious views of a few.

Originally posted by: Socio

"We have listened and watched as the wonderful work of our church has been vilified this week," he told about 3,000 congregants on Palm Sunday morning. "This week should be special for us because I guess we know a little something about crucifixion."

I guess they call teaching viral hate mongering in the name of God ?wonderful work of our church?

Translation; flipping out the "race card" to make things better, who would have thought that was coming.

The scary part is neither that church or its followers are really denouncing that Pastors vile beliefs or racist hate rhetoric. That is the element Obama has been a part of for a long time which begs the question: Do we really want to have a leader of our country that has been immersed in this racist hate mongering environment or that has a church that thinks like this that has his ear?

Please show either video to typed transcripts of every sermon that the pastor has given at the church to show that this isn't an isolated incident that is being replayed over and over and over to make you think or believe that it is an every Sunday occurrence.

Would you kindly tell us who you voted for in the last few elections. I can, with 100% certainty provide you with some whackjob that has either influenced or at the very least been a part of their lives to the same extent that this pastor has been in Obama's.

For you or anyone else to have such "outrage" over something so stupid like this is laughable. Every person on the planet has someone that others either see has a little off at times in their lives.

My mother was fairly racist. I would ascribe it to her being born in an area of the country (more rural than suburban) and during a era (way before segregation) that was conducive to racist attitudes. She said many things to me or around me and I am sure even more when I wasn't near that would have most people cringing today.

Guess what? I still love her! I still talk with her! I am not racist! Having enough good judgment to realize that her beliefs were wrong when it came to race doesn't diminish the other things that she instilled in me. She taught me that an education was important. She taught me that hard work was a requirement. And she taught me that loyalty to family didn't mean that you have to agree with them all the time, but that you just loved them in spite of their flaws. All really great lessons that I learned from a racist.

It really isn't hard to hear the good that someone is saying without the bad and not having to completely reject the person saying it if you are fairly intelligent, have good judgment or are just not completely influenced by everyone else.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider

This seems to be the best the opposition can come up with. Considering all the crap flung around during a Presidential campaign this is a non-starter for me.

Weak.

How can Obama tell the nation that he represents unity when for the last 20 years he has belonged to and supported a church who has a pastor with long history of preaching it's all whitey's fault? A pastor he claims "keeps my moral compass calibrated" and has called his "spiritual mentor"? I'm sorry, but he can distance himself from Wright all he wants, he's obviously doing it only because at this point it's politically expediant.

"I wasn't at that sermon", or denouncing the statements that are "the cause of the controversy" rings pretty hollow to me. I mean Wright has so many statments that are causing the controvery that he has to use a blanket statment to cover them all? Then what's left and why did Obama belong to this church for 20 years?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider

Weak.

How can Obama tell the nation that he represents unity when for the last 20 years he has belonged to and supported a church who has a pastor with long history of preaching it's all whitey's fault? A pastor he claims "keeps my moral compass calibrated" and has called his "spiritual mentor"? I'm sorry, but he can distance himself from Wright all he wants, he's obviously doing it only because at this point it's politically expediant.

"I wasn't at that sermon", or denouncing the statements that are "the cause of the controversy" rings pretty hollow to me. I mean Wright has so many statments that are causing the controvery that he has to use a blanket statment to cover them all? Then what's left and why did Obama belong to this church for 20 years?

I agree. Claiming this guy as your spiritual advisor and using him as a moral compass does Obama in. You cant claim that then try to distance yourself when it is politically convienent. I am not one who likes to delve into people religion. But this reverend is quite the little racist and should be a center piece talking point when it comes to discussing Obama's moral compass and decision making process should he become president. Obama will be getting adivse from a man who apparently dislikes 70% of this country for the color of their skin. I find it hard to believe Obama could represent the majority of people under those circumstances.

btw when you look at this situation it brings his wife's statement about being proud to be an American for the first time in her life into context.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
This wringing and moaning from the right on this minister makes me lol.

Have these same people never heard of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Arkaign
This wringing and moaning from the right on this minister makes me lol.

Have these same people never heard of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson?

Does Hillary go to their church? If not then your implying that two wrongs make a "Wright"?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Link? or cut and paste where it says that?

Obama's campaign has been accused of finding the G. Ferraro statement in some local paper and pushed it nationwide. AFAIK I haven't seen anyone given credit for publicizing the pastor videos, although if it were a Clinton surrogate I'd hardly be surprised. But this is both campaigns playing the same game. Does that make Obama's people slime-dripping or are they just speaking truth? Nice double standard.

Since the vids surfaced the Clinton campaign has been Very Mum about it and I haven't seen them make one comment other than "a candidate cannot be responsible for what all his/her supporters say." I'd hardly call that jumping on the crucifiction bandwagon.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Obama's campaign has been accused of finding the G. Ferraro statement in some local paper and pushed it nationwide. AFAIK I haven't seen anyone given credit for publicizing the pastor videos, although if it were a Clinton surrogate I'd hardly be surprised. But this is both campaigns playing the same game. Does that make Obama's people slime-dripping or are they just speaking truth? Nice double standard.

Since the vids surfaced the Clinton campaign has been Very Mum about it and I haven't seen them make one comment other than "a candidate cannot be responsible for what all his/her supporters say." I'd hardly call that jumping on the crucifiction bandwagon.

The story was and always has been pushed by Sean Hannity on his radio show and on his FOX news tv show.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: RY62

The story was and always has been pushed by Sean Hannity on his radio show and on his FOX news tv show.

Because Hannity is the peak of sanity and anything he has to say about a (D) front-running candidate is to be looked at as purely non-partisan. :roll:

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004

Because Hannity is the peak of sanity and anything he has to say about a (D) front-running candidate is to be looked at as purely non-partisan. :roll:

Much easier to attack Hannity than to address the issue this relationship brings up. Much easier to point the finger at buffoons like Pat Robertson while ignoring the questions brought up in the this thread.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Bumrush99

Much easier to attack Hannity than to address the issue this relationship brings up. Much easier to point the finger at buffoons like Pat Robertson while ignoring the questions brought up in the this thread.

Unless you can point to some example that Obama is using poor/unfair judgment as a result of this 'relationship', I really don't see what the issue is. I am not afraid to rip any politician to shreds when there are valid reasons to, you should hear me go on about LBJ, Clinton, Bush, etc, but as of yet, I don't see much of Obama's history that warrants concern. He's sort of a blank page at this point. Pretty much all politicians earn my ire, so I fully expect him to follow suit, but you can bet it won't have anything to do with trifle such as this.

Hannity is a hack. Listening to him on a (D) candidate is about as relevant and useful as listening to Olbermann on a (R) candidate. If you want honest assessment, look towards independents.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Bumrush99

Much easier to continue to ask for answers to something that is irrelevant than to explain why there is this false belief that a person has or will inherit or be influenced by 100% of what another person says?

There is no problem with this relationship to any rational human being. What he gets from his pastor is moral and spiritual guidance in relation to his RELIGIOUS philosophy.

I look to my doctor for guidance. Does that mean that when I am in need of a new router that I go to him to see what he recommends? People are making the false assumption that someone that influences one part of another's life has to automatically influence ALL aspects of the other person's life. I'm really saddened that so many people are that sheep-ish and unable to think for themselves.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005

Lots of damage control going on today. Blame Hillary...discredit the source....distance Obama from Wright...LOL

It's too little too late and more is on the way. Obama is damaged goods and it's only going to get worse.