Distributed Computing over Home Network

Yakyb

Jan 29, 2007
Hi guys
Iwas wondering if anyone had any information regarding how to set up a home network for video encoding.
i currently have 3 modern computers sempron 2800 and better and one old computer p3 800mhz all networked together
i was wondering how easy it would be to setup a small render farm. i have done a little research into it and whilst i understand that technically it may not help encoding time due to the size of the files that need to be transferred accros the network it would be a very interesting project for me.

could anyone point me towards a walkthruogh of setting this up. i have looked around but couldnt find one. also ideas on software would useful i already run premiere and i guess that could do it im just not sure how

any help would be greatly appreciated.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Well, the only thing I could think of is the included render farm support of certain 3D software, like Cinema4D or Maya. They already include that option and as far as I know, you only have to install some sort of a client on each networked PC you want to use, and that's it.

But as far as setting up your own is concerned, I have no idea. You know, we ususally only run distributed computing projects that are already developed and just donate our CPU time to them.

But this site here might be of great interest to you. They do exactly what you want to do.

:beer: