Distributed Computing inside a health care system

Rilescat

Jan 11, 2002
Good day all...

I am interested to know if anyone is using Distributed Computing in a health care setting for internal use? Perhaps something like managing radiology imaging or CPU power for tele-medicine ...perhaps any form of cloud computing within the Enterprise? I am thinking of things on a internal scale (not Folding@home, etc).

Thank you

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
it would at least make sense to do. most of the computers in the building are basically just sitting there like dumb terminals doing nothing, might as well put em to good use. the down side though, i doubt that 95% of those computers are even up to the task of running those loads for short periods of time, let alone years at a time. it's probably cheaper for them to just buy $20000 servers for their radiology departments like they do now anyway, when you consider the cost of running that many inefficient machines at full load (most of them are probably pentium 4 era still), let alone managing a DC network like that

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Also the error correction would need to be very good --- the image analysis software, the chem-analysis software are very mission critical ... and it is hard to keep tabs on many computers running well ....