Distopia 1984 in 2006

JBDelderfield

Nov 21, 2006
I don't know whether you have read 1984 by Orwell or We by Zamyatin, but I hope that you all are against the state's total control over its subjects and citizen's. But with IT it becomes more and more possible. And the first step is the biometrical pass and the fingerpront system, don't you think so?
Most chilling about the great distopian novel 1984 is not the ever increasing surveilence but the fact that most of the people like it. "Well if it stops crime then it must be a good idea."

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
You know what I find amusing about the police state technologies that our cousins across the pond are introducing at a fantastic rate (and that are making their way over here)? They don't even do what they claim to do, they are useful only for tracking everything innocent citizens do and almost worthless for getting the "bad guys". Anyone with half a brain can defeat a lot of this stuff, so we're left spending billions upon billions of dollars to follow Mrs. Smith driving her kids to soccer practice while Abu Terrorist slips under the radar. Even worse, since all the idiots that pass for "security experts" assume this stuff is infallible, our system assumes that we don't need anything else.

I think it's totally unacceptable to treat innocent citizens like criminals under any circumstances, but from a purely relative point of view, it's even worse to do it when you don't get any security in return. Or maybe that's the point...maybe the government is smarter than we think.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
The monarchy culture that the English subject themselves to allows their overlords to do this.

wazzledoozle

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2006
I am guessing England will be the first true police state of the western world in the 21st century. France and Germany will probably follow soon after.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Read the last paragraph or two of this article about functioning democracies.

Text

"In Britain low political participation (the lowest in the developed world) is a major problem, and to a lesser extent, for now, so are eroding civil liberties," the report said.

imported_Aelius

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2004
Originally posted by: wazzledoozle
I am guessing England will be the first true police state of the western world in the 21st century. France and Germany will probably follow soon after.

Any country with a central bank is on its way towards a total police state since they are all fascist states. That is they practice Corporatism, not Democracy. The only thing in question is how far along have they gotten. The US and Canada are not that far behind, neither is Australia.

JBDelderfield

Nov 21, 2006
Originally posted by: wazzledoozle
I am guessing England will be the first true police state of the western world in the 21st century.

I think the US will be the first to follow..