Disposing paint cans

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
We recently cleaned out the basement of the house we bought back in November and came across several old cans of paint we don't need.

Are there certain methods to disposing of these or can I just throw them in the trash can?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: DeadByDawn
Put them in your neighbors trash, just in case :)

Paint is now considered to be hazardous waste, and has to be disposed of properly. Most likely, your county has a special facility for handling this. When in doubt, contact whatever agency that deals with refuse and ask...

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
It's against the law to toss them in the garbage since paint is considered hazardous waste. Find a recycling center that takes paint cans.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Paint is now considered to be hazardous waste, and has to be disposed of properly. Most likely, your county has a special facility for handling this. When in doubt, contact whatever agency that deals with refuse and ask...

I thought this as well. I loaded my car up with about a dozen cans of paint and stain, left by the previous home owner, and took them to the landfill. The gentleman at the landfill told me to throw them in the regular household items dumpsters; no special place for them.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

I thought this as well. I loaded my car up with about a dozen cans of paint and stain, left by the previous home owner, and took them to the landfill. The gentleman at the landfill told me to throw them in the regular household items dumpsters; no special place for them.

Mostly, it will be a county or state regulation. AFAIK, the Feds haven't made a stand on this issue.
I'm surprised they allow it in the "regular" landfill where you're at. MOST places are finally coming around to the idea of keeping things like paint OUT of the landfill.

One note...water-based paints and stains (like latex paint) CAN be disposed of in landfills, as long as it's done properly. It's OLDER paint and oil-based paint & stain that poses the most hazard to our environment if disposed of improperly.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

Mostly, it will be a county or state regulation. AFAIK, the Feds haven't made a stand on this issue.
I'm surprised they allow it in the "regular" landfill where you're at. MOST places are finally coming around to the idea of keeping things like paint OUT of the landfill.

One note...water-based paints and stains (like latex paint) CAN be disposed of in landfills, as long as it's done properly. It's OLDER paint and oil-based paint & stain that poses the most hazard to our environment if disposed of improperly.

Yeah, I jsut queried the county landfill's disposal policy. It was cool since it was water and latex based paint and stain. The county does a hazardous waste removal every few months for oil based paints stains as well as certain glues and thinners.

minendo, check your county's website.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
I just put stuff like that in the front yard next to the street and our trash truck(not our regular garbage truck) picks them up and disposes of them.

kingtas

Aug 26, 2006
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
i just let the remainder dry out then toss it like normal trash

I went to the waste transfer station and asked them about this and they told me to let it dry and toss it in the trash.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea i guess the solvents evaporating count as air polution, but thats the same as if u used it anywyas. but dry it won't be leeching problem in a landfill atleast.