DisplayPort lower setting applied problem...

deadman6

Jan 5, 2011
Ok so i have the ati 5780 video card. I have 3 monitors. And i want to extend all three of them. I bought this active display port adapter. I can extend all three monitors.. the two dvi one's are full resolution. But the display port monitor (which ever monitor i hook up to it...) is at a very low resolution and when put to normal resolution it shakes and its the real resolution....

o also when my comp started up CCC gives me a msg saying "the system has detected a problem with the connection between your computer and the displayport display that will prevent you from using the highest reslution and or refresh rates"

any thoughts?

bbucommander

Jan 30, 2011
I am having the same problem with the same dongle (Accell DP-DVI SL Active B087B-005B).

My configuration is three monitors (two 22", one 27") in extended desktop mode on a ATI 5770.

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit using Catalyst 11.1.

No matter what monitor I connect to the dongle, the error message mentioned by deadman6 pops up and I cannot get the correct resolution on the dongle connected monitor. However, when I disable one of the monitors, the dongle connected monitor acts as expected. Thus I am only able to get two monitors running correctly, not three as Eyefinity is supposed to support.

BTW, in Ubuntu / Linux I am having a different issue. While using the AMD proprietary driver 11.1 I am unable to get the third monitor running at all. AMD CCC detects the third monitor, but when trying to extend the desktop to a third monitor its screen flickers as though connecting and then does nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
If you can't set it to the right resolution it's usually a faulty adapter. Exchange it if you can, they are a bit flaky and another of the exact same model will likely work.

bbucommander

Jan 30, 2011
Solved the problem!

Accell has released a firmware update for a couple of their DisplayPort dongles. Unfortunately the link is a bit buried in their support / faq section:

http://www.accellcables.com/support/FAQDP.htm

I was not aware it was even possible to modify the firmware of display dongles, so this was new to me. Luckily the process was painless and now I can run everything at the correct resolutions in Windows 7. I will now check on Ubuntu and report back.

A word of warning, the update is provided as an EXE binary file so you will need Windows to run it.

drumstyx

Feb 16, 2011
I've lurked here for a long time, and gotten lots of help. This is probably the best solution I've ever read, and I can't bump this enough! Problem is SOLVED!