DisplayPort latches

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Are DP latches desirable, particularly for a vertical connection where there is limited space? DVI screws are often problematic in these situations so I wonder if latches can be unlatched easily enough? Also, if sufficiently secure without then might it be preferred to have it disconnect in the rare case the cable is pulled on rather than do any damage? Maybe the latches are necessary if frequently rotating the display?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
On the one hand I've never had a problem with the latches. They come undone easily enough when you're intentionally pulling the cable out, as opposed to those damned DVI screws.

On the other hand I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call them "desirable". HDMI has no problem staying put without latches. But clearly the DP design committee felt differently.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah, I was thinking HDMI are generally not a problem and now that you mention it, USB cables stay put in the bottom of displays too. Presumably DP was designed to allow latches due to the history of PC connectors (especially video) having fasteners, as opposed to CE. I have no experience with DP cables and need to decide whether to order with or without latches. :hmm: