display problems with....

Mc55m

May 27, 2010
Okay so i built what should be a nice little system for game....

GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard
Phenom II x4 955 black edition
Asus DirectCu 5850
8Gb DDR3 OCZ RAM (4 sticks of 2Gb)
Antec 850W PSU
3 SATA HDDs 40gb, 250gb and a 1tb
Windows 7 64bit

now, heres my problem, it started with everytime i would try to push the system with a game thats got some decent graphics(COD4, SCII beta, even TitanQuest and now even Civ 4) the screen would flicker a bit then get vertical lines and lock up.....I checked the drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times to be sure, but is not that. I think theres something wrong with the card, but i want to be sure before i go to Asus to get the card replaced(i passed the 30 days from newegg cuz i lost my job and gave up on trying to game/fix the problem so i could game for a couple weeks). When i first built the system i had a bad stick of RAM and got that replaced. So by then i was already almost 2 weeks into that 30 days so that didnt help......digress....anyway I have gone through so many thing trying to figure out the problem, GPU-Z, 3D Mark, etc, The system crashes when i try to use 3D Mark, i get the lines and it locks up.

any ideas would be awesome!!!

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
Is everything seated correctly? What are your temps like? etc etc. Check those and get back to us :D

Mc55m

May 27, 2010
temps are fine, video card is getting above mid 50s, nevermind even hitting 60, before it gets the lines and locks up

checked the seating, even added a screw(instead of jsut using the plastic clips to ensure its not moving or shaking)

Hardlin

Aug 27, 2004
Did you try upping your voltage a bit? The ASUS SmartDoctor app should make it fairly easy to up it a .1-.2 to see if that helps. Also, which version of the video driver are you using?

Mc55m

May 27, 2010
i just installed the newest one that someone put the link up for on here a little while ago, it didnt help much, though i can go on firefox and run things on the desktop seemingly ok now, but still cant push the card in any real way

i tried playing with the voltage, but nothing seemed to chenage anythign i will try ith the new driver, maybe it iwll make the difference

Mc55m

May 27, 2010
played with the volatge a bit and sitll getting the same problem! :/

this is so frustrating

wierd thing, when i go into the BIOS the screen flickers a lot and the system locks up if i spend to much time in it(meaning if i take my time to go through setting...well i cant)

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
played with the volatge a bit and sitll getting the same problem! :/

this is so frustrating

wierd thing, when i go into the BIOS the screen flickers a lot and the system locks up if i spend to much time in it(meaning if i take my time to go through setting...well i cant)

First, start your computer and (carefully) take one of the spare 4-pin molex connectors out where you can reach it. Using a digital multimeter (set to DC Volts, ~20v or whatever setting is close), plug the red lead into the slot for the yellow wire, and the black lead into one of the slots for a black wire. It should read around 12v - anything more than .5v away from that (under 11.5v or above 12.5v) is a reason for major concern and probably means a bad PSU. Similarly, plug the red lead into the slot for the red wire and the black into a slot for a black. It should read around 5v.

Run memtestx86. If that locks up before it can even show an error, my vote goes on a faulty graphics card. Do you have a spare you can swap in to test?

Last edited:

Mc55m

May 27, 2010
thanks for the multimeter idea, i dont know why i didnt think of that!? duh! thats what the forums are for!
I do not have a spare, i gave my 'old' system to my brother who lives over an hour away, and hes already got that system set up, but i will try to talk him out of one of the cards (it was an SLI system on 2 of the old nvidia 8600gts, but they PCI Express cards

I will definite try those....