Display Problem at Startup

trainmaster5

Sep 1, 2006
After starting up I'm taken to the Login screen (Vista Ultimate 32 ). I log in and I get a black screen with a white arrow, cursor. Nothing else. Figuring WTF I try the power button, not reset, and lo and behold the log off-on screen becomes visible again. I restart normally and everything's OK. Running a 939 x2 3800 on a MSI Neo4 K8N mobo, NV 6600 pci-e gpu, 2gig DDr-400 ram w/ Coolermaster 450 ps. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

trainmaster5

Sep 1, 2006
Happens maybe one in ten times over a weeks time. Puzzling to say the least. Been running Vista Ultimate for a month on this rig and it just started last weekend. Haven't installled anything new in the 3 weeks or so except automatic updated for MS, Zone Alarm security,iTunes +Quick time. Itunes+QT installed together.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
The Windows Event Viewer logs might have some info on what happened, or failed to happen. Next time it does that, note the time as closely as practical, then restart it and take a look in Event Viewer and see if you see where a service failed, etc?